Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,414 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,019 reviews
on June 2, 2015
I read the audio version of this book multiple times, bought copies of it for clients, and shared it with friends. Never have I read a book that so radically transformed the way I think. It was remarkably freeing to become so aware of how much I allowed my own thoughts to run my life. After reading Michael's book, I simply allowed irrelevant, erroneous, totally made up thoughts to just float on by without attaching my emotions to them. THAT was freeing!

Most human beings are completely unaware that most of the thoughts in our mind are complete untrue. YET, we believe them, follow them, become emotionally entangled in them, allow them to change our mood, allow them to change our behavior.

This book was also freeing in the sense that I let go of needing others to behave in a certain way in order for me to be OK. The reason I was't OK had nothing to do with anyone outside myself. It was a miraculous shift within me (to say the very least), when I realized I was trying to manipulate outside circumstances for me to feel OK in life.

When I realized the shift needed to be made within ME for me to be OK in life, total game changer! I let everyone off the hook and stepped into unconditional peace and unconditional joy! Have you ANY idea what life is like when your own peace/joy is totally UNCONDITIONAL? It means you don't need anyone to change or be different for you to be happy. It means no-one outside yourself controls how you FEEL. It means you're no longer an emotional puppet on the string of everyone else's behavior, attitudes, decisions, choices, etc. YOU feel inner joy/peace no matter what. Hello?! Total game changer!

I LOVED the audio version of the book because the person who read it was perfect for the content. Not to mention the ability to hit replay a million times on the parts that were SO transformative.

This was a unique book. I've read TONS of other books on similar topics but the way Michael conveyed the material was unique and different and I really GOT IT! Thank you Michael Singer for the growth, expansion, and transformations you inspired within my very soul. My soul now largely "untethered" from the constant (and mostly irrelevant) chatter of the mind. :) I am a new person as a result of this book (and a few other audios I purchased from Michael's website which expanded upon what he taught in the book).
33 comments| 239 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2014
I wanted to like this book! It is clearly one that has resonated with so many people and changed lives, but sadly it fell completely flat with me. I kept hoping that at one point it would start to resonate, but it did not. I believe these are some of the reasons why -

1. I'm suspicious of authors who claim it is possible to live life free of worries, problems, and unhappiness. This author makes such claims throughout the book and many times indicates that freedom from suffering should be the goal of the spiritual journey. I see life and the spiritual journey differently, and though I do believe we all should strive for a happier life and a more peaceful spirit, I don't believe it is desirable to live without some unhappiness, some worries, some fears. We need to experience and honor both the dark and the light in order to live in balance. That is my view at any rate, and this book did not make a strong enough case for me to change it.

2. Contradictions. The author contradicts himself many times, but more importantly doesn't indicate any awareness that he has contradicted himself. In one chapter he is claiming that God only likes to be around happy people, but in a later chapter he points out that God does not judge, that the sun shines equally on us all, etc. Confusing, right? Thus, while the author makes many statements throughout that I agree with, he also constantly is making other statements that contradict previous ones, giving me the impression that he is just writing a stream of consciousness of statements cherry-picked to resonate with a broad range of spiritual-enlightenment-seekers, without much regard to whether those statements gel together to form a cohesive whole. Which brings me to. . .

3. Structure. To me the book reads like a long-winded, disorganized, repetitive lecture on how the reader should be living his life. While there may be many helpful suggestions and kernels of wisdom sprinkled throughout, the lack of structure, evidence, and strategies for how to go about actually doing what the author is suggesting really rubbed me the wrong way. For me, these types of commands - "just open" or "just do it" or "let go of fear" - are never helpful. These types of life-suggestions happen on every single page, as if it just takes reading the words enough times to know how to actually go about doing things that take enormous amounts of courage and practice. I need help with the how, and I found this book was like a list of ingredients with no recipe, assuming that the reader was already an experienced chef.

Perhaps the book is simply not written in a way that speaks to me. As I said at the beginning, it has clearly resonated with many, and so I feel badly giving it such a poor review. If the book has helped you to find happiness and live a more peaceful life, then wonderful! I would not want to take that away from anyone, but sadly, it is not the book for me.
2222 comments| 412 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2017
A favorite spiritual book of wisdom; never let anything leave a disturbing impression within. How? We each hold the key to our happiness, but we surrender it to others unconsciously. Even when one becomes aware, it still takes practice to steady the "fight-or-flight" emotions. Mastery of emotions (doesn't mean inaction) creates peace of mind. When one can act from clarity, choice making is incredibly better. Ever regret a choice made in the heat of the moment? This book can begin the process of understanding how to truly be free, untethered. I've read it 3 times, and read a random page each day. It's starting to have a positive effect, catching the heart's disturbance in the moment, untethering, and carefully considering the next move to make in life. Wonderful book. And I've ready a library full.
on February 27, 2017
One of the best books around. I bought this book while doing an end of life seminar. Our course book was Levine's, "One Life to Live." Many in our class got tired of reading the Levine book. Singer's chapter on Death encompasses Levine's entire book. A must for the bookshelf.
on January 24, 2014
I have read this book maybe 5 or 6 times, finding new insights into myself and life with each new reading. Singer very graciously, and with great simpicity, helps us understand the workings of the mind and ego, and how they contribute to human suffering. AND what we can do to free ourselves, and Untether our Souls!
on June 25, 2016
If you allow yourself to listen and go deep inside yourself, you will realize the truth.
Very powerful message that we all already know but need to actually LIVE on a day basis.
Well written and should be taught in school and Church more often.
on December 31, 2016
I listen to this over and over and over. The narrators voice is very easy to understand, and comforting to hear. It's almost like he is talking right next to you, explaining the concepts of this book. The information here is life-changing, but as such, for me I need hear it many times to change the patterns of thought I have had for 56 years. This CD will open your mind to welcoming a new sense of understanding and peace, and reasons why we believe and feel the things in our heads. So very glad this came into my life.
on November 14, 2015
This was an unusual and probably the most effective book I have read in trying to understand my relationship with my soul. I was impressed with Michael Singer's analysis and incites. He touched on many new concepts. Every chapter was full of new ideas to contemplate. In applying his philosophy to my everyday life I could actually feel I was moving forward in both understanding and effectiveness by using these suggested principles. My daily efforts were rewarded through a feeling of greater inner peace and a higher level of spirituality. The book was extremely uplifting and constantly raised my spirits and feeling of well being. This is not a book to rush through but one to savor by stretching out the experience. I didn't want it to end.
on December 29, 2016
A great book which simplifies the Buddhist approach to life and how to overcome and master suffering, and treat all life events, good or bad, the same. It is very similar to Eckart Tolle's The Power of Now, but slightly different in approach. Worth the read if you are into spirituality or going through a difficult period.
on July 8, 2016
Everyone should read this book. Seriously, you will find something that speaks to your heart and touches your soul exactly where you need it! I have been reading and rereading and rethinking and am once again amazed how when I really get stuck on a life lesson -- a book always falls into my hands with just the help I need! My hairdresser mentioned this to me, and I sort of brushed it off, but then, curiosity got the better of me and Amazon delivered it to my door. Thank you, Universe, for the wonderful ways you reach out when a soul starts to lose its way in the fog of life on earth!