BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

on June 2, 2015
I read the audio version of this book multiple times, bought copies of it for clients, and shared it with friends. Never have I read a book that so radically transformed the way I think. It was remarkably freeing to become so aware of how much I allowed my own thoughts to run my life. After reading Michael's book, I simply allowed irrelevant, erroneous, totally made up thoughts to just float on by without attaching my emotions to them. THAT was freeing!

Most human beings are completely unaware that most of the thoughts in our mind are complete untrue. YET, we believe them, follow them, become emotionally entangled in them, allow them to change our mood, allow them to change our behavior.

This book was also freeing in the sense that I let go of needing others to behave in a certain way in order for me to be OK. The reason I was't OK had nothing to do with anyone outside myself. It was a miraculous shift within me (to say the very least), when I realized I was trying to manipulate outside circumstances for me to feel OK in life.

When I realized the shift needed to be made within ME for me to be OK in life, total game changer! I let everyone off the hook and stepped into unconditional peace and unconditional joy! Have you ANY idea what life is like when your own peace/joy is totally UNCONDITIONAL? It means you don't need anyone to change or be different for you to be happy. It means no-one outside yourself controls how you FEEL. It means you're no longer an emotional puppet on the string of everyone else's behavior, attitudes, decisions, choices, etc. YOU feel inner joy/peace no matter what. Hello?! Total game changer!

I LOVED the audio version of the book because the person who read it was perfect for the content. Not to mention the ability to hit replay a million times on the parts that were SO transformative.

This was a unique book. I've read TONS of other books on similar topics but the way Michael conveyed the material was unique and different and I really GOT IT! Thank you Michael Singer for the growth, expansion, and transformations you inspired within my very soul. My soul now largely "untethered" from the constant (and mostly irrelevant) chatter of the mind. :) I am a new person as a result of this book (and a few other audios I purchased from Michael's website which expanded upon what he taught in the book).
33 comments| 262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2012
Some of the points made in The Untethered Soul are:
1. Happiness can only be found within.
2. The mind is not the place to look for happiness.
3. Learn to relax and stay open no matter what.
4. Identify yourself as the observer. Do not identify with the experiences you are observing.
5. You are not the voices in your head. You are the listener.
6. Facing the fact of bodily death can help you to realize that all of the observed is temporary.
7. Do not allow painful experiences from the past to influence the present.
8. Your thoughts are not you. You are the observer, not the thoughts.
9. If you want a life full of joy and love you must make a commitment to having a life full of joy and love.
10. Learn how to live from your heart, not from your ego.
11. Take refuge in the Divine, not in the temporary.
12. Peace is always within.
13. Learn to control your mind, do not let the mind control you.
14. It is possible to never have a problem in your life again.

The Untethered Soul is my second most favorite book on the subject of how to transcend the ego and how to realize the true Self and directly experience that perfect infinite consciousness that has only joy and love and has no suffering.

My most favorite book on that subject is THE SEVEN STEPS TO AWAKENING which is a collection of quotes by these seven authors: 1. Ramana Maharshi. 2. Nisargadatta Maharaj. 3. Sankara. 4. Vasistha. 5. Sadhu OM. 6. Muruganar. 7. Annamalai Swami.
2222 comments| 1,466 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2014
I wanted to like this book! It is clearly one that has resonated with so many people and changed lives, but sadly it fell completely flat with me. I kept hoping that at one point it would start to resonate, but it did not. I believe these are some of the reasons why -

1. I'm suspicious of authors who claim it is possible to live life free of worries, problems, and unhappiness. This author makes such claims throughout the book and many times indicates that freedom from suffering should be the goal of the spiritual journey. I see life and the spiritual journey differently, and though I do believe we all should strive for a happier life and a more peaceful spirit, I don't believe it is desirable to live without some unhappiness, some worries, some fears. We need to experience and honor both the dark and the light in order to live in balance. That is my view at any rate, and this book did not make a strong enough case for me to change it.

2. Contradictions. The author contradicts himself many times, but more importantly doesn't indicate any awareness that he has contradicted himself. In one chapter he is claiming that God only likes to be around happy people, but in a later chapter he points out that God does not judge, that the sun shines equally on us all, etc. Confusing, right? Thus, while the author makes many statements throughout that I agree with, he also constantly is making other statements that contradict previous ones, giving me the impression that he is just writing a stream of consciousness of statements cherry-picked to resonate with a broad range of spiritual-enlightenment-seekers, without much regard to whether those statements gel together to form a cohesive whole. Which brings me to. . .

3. Structure. To me the book reads like a long-winded, disorganized, repetitive lecture on how the reader should be living his life. While there may be many helpful suggestions and kernels of wisdom sprinkled throughout, the lack of structure, evidence, and strategies for how to go about actually doing what the author is suggesting really rubbed me the wrong way. For me, these types of commands - "just open" or "just do it" or "let go of fear" - are never helpful. These types of life-suggestions happen on every single page, as if it just takes reading the words enough times to know how to actually go about doing things that take enormous amounts of courage and practice. I need help with the how, and I found this book was like a list of ingredients with no recipe, assuming that the reader was already an experienced chef.

Perhaps the book is simply not written in a way that speaks to me. As I said at the beginning, it has clearly resonated with many, and so I feel badly giving it such a poor review. If the book has helped you to find happiness and live a more peaceful life, then wonderful! I would not want to take that away from anyone, but sadly, it is not the book for me.
2323 comments| 465 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2017
This book came to me via a Goodreads suggestion. I enjoy books about personal growth and it had really good reviews. So without reading the book summary I purchased it. I didn't know what to expect but anticipated the standard "putting forward your best effort" suggestions. This isn't that. It's truly about finding peace from within. I recently had an experience with my boss and using these "tips" helped me let the energy pass right through me. Normally I would think about it for hours and have endless conversations in my head trying to resolve it or fix it. This time it came and went without no disruption. It will likely take years to absorb and implement the concepts, but definitely worth the try.
on September 22, 2017
This audio takes you on a journey of self. It is a real eye-opening thought provoking soul-searching experience of a lifetime. I'm listening to it again and hearing all new things. Strong recommendation to hear or read. 5 Stars🌟
on March 7, 2016
This will change your life! Read it and grow. Learn to recognize the voice that haunts us and develop an aware ego, recreate yourself into becoming everything God intended you to be. We are more than our constant repetitive, negative thoughts, chatter, emotions. Learn to let go, release, and allow the Spirit to set you free.
on September 7, 2017
What a deeply profound book. It's inspirational, smart, and insightful. Page after page brings to light new ideas and an understanding of how we stand in our own way. You will want to read it over and over.
on December 12, 2016
I've read many, many spiritual books over decades and never found one more clear and easy to understand and apply. A great book for anyone to read - but especially good to share with people who aren't intellectually inclined. Not that it's overly simple, rather it makes the complex and esoteric completely understandable and clear. I'll be gifting this one for sure!!
on May 3, 2017
If this book comes into your life at the right moment, it will be an eye opener, leading to transformative experience. It is written in a style that allows for fluent read, although you need time to meditate and what your find in it. I started practicing the lessons that I found in it while I was still reading it. I bought the next book, the surrender experiment, and went through it also with the same encouraging feeling in life perfection that both texts will awake in you. Extremely thankful to the author, and everyone involved in the publishing.
on July 31, 2011
I am in gratitude, honor, and amazement at how enjoyable and understanding this book is. Since purchasing it through a recommend by a friend, it has not left me. I keep reading it and it keeps resonating with Truth. Michael Singer is not out there all over the web, or is there even a big writeup or bio in this book of his. I bow to his modesty and humility, for this book truly gives us a look at our choice to lead life with an untethered soul ~ to be free of self worry, doubt, shame, blame or anything that shuts down our heart and brings in negativity to our lives. Thank you Michael. You and your book are a gem amoung the rubble.