Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on August 16, 2015
This well-meaning book so badly needs a strict, harsh editing. There's so much unnecessary repetition and such plodding, unwieldy prose that even the most interested, motivated reader finds it a very hard slog. Which isn't to say that both authors haven't tried their best to help neurotypicals understand their world, it's that their probably natural tendency to excessive repetition and detail hampers the reader's desire to keep reading. A ruthless editor would have been able to capture the essential points and scraped away all the unnecessary, tiresome, un-elucidating detail. Wish that they'd secured the co-writer(s?) who made 'Animals in Translation' and 'Thinking in Pictures such lively reading with enduring impact.

I'm a patient reader but this book is like the last 6 miles of a marathon - painful placing of one foot in front of another. Too bad, as the information deserves far better.
on March 23, 2015
I thought this book is excellent. It gives much helpful guidance on how people with mild autism can develop capabilities to more successfully interact and communicate with others in society. It is arranged in a way that makes learning and understanding these capabilities easy. It has significant input from people who have autism. This makes the utility of information given very credible.

I had two issues with the book.

First it could have used a glossary. Terms and acronyms were sometimes used that were not defined in provided dictionaries, and it was hard to find definitions for some of these, for example "ABA" (Which I finally discovered stands for Applied Behavioral Analysis.), and "stimming" or "stim" (Which is the repetition of physical movements, sounds, or repetitive movement of objects common in individuals with autistic spectrum disorders. Ref: Wikipedia).

Second, Amazon offered a 2005 addition that I could read on my iPhone. Shortly after buying it, though, I was disappointed to discover that another substantially newer edition (2011) was available at another site that I could have also read on my IPhone.
on May 17, 2017
The key to furthering my understanding of my child and facilitate his success in the general population. A big thank you to both authors! I can't begin to count how many books on autism I've read at this point but anything that has been written, collaborated on, or associated with Dr. Grandin has been gold. I'm very happy to add Sean to a list of authors I'll trust and see what else he has worked on.
on October 20, 2012
I want to preface this by saying that I have an entire bookshelf of autism related books - a conservative estimate would probably put the number of books on the subject that I'd read at ten or fifteen, and I'm working my way through the rest. I say this because when I tell you that this is the best autism-related book I've ever read, I want it to mean something. I've dog-eared about half the book and highlighted the other half. I even plan on buying at least one, possibly two additional copies - one to give to the local autism support group, and the other to loan out to friends. It's insightful for understanding the perspective of both children and adults on the spectrum. I devoured this book which, thanks to its two very different, but equally autistic, authors gives a more fleshed out view of autism. As I read it, I saw flashes of all the different people I know on the spectrum, from my sister, to my classmate, to my friend's brother. Things I hadn't understood before, or even thought of as being autistic, just clicked into place when I read it. I think the title is a bit of a throw off - it's not only useful for learning/teaching rules of social relationships, but for understanding the autistic perspective as a whole. We make autistic people adapt to our world - it's about time that we appreciated all the work that goes into it behind the scenes. It's about time that we better understand their world. And this book is the gateway to doing exactly that. I wish I could give it six, or even ten stars because it was just that incredible. Buy it, read it, and share it with your friends!
on October 7, 2015
I was just blindsided at what these two individuals , the authors, had to struggle through to become such quality human beings at the end. What models are they for the autism community and for others with neurological and mental health issues. I admit I became discouraged at times, particularly with Sean's entries because they were not progressing as quickly,it seemed, as Temple's. They were filled with so much self-hatred much like the emotional issues I have experienced. It was interesting to see how different these two authors relate to the world based on the ways their brains were wired. I have a little autistic granddaughter now so I think I might be able to understand her better and hopefully help her after this book..
on November 16, 2014
This book is great tool for nuerotypicals that need help understand how people on the spectrum might think about different social relationships. I appreciate how the publisher decided to choose two authors with AS that have very different approaches to social relationships. Often times, literature about people with ASD can focus on a somewhat stereotyped ASD personality type. I think showing the range of personality types on the Spectrum creates a more accurate picture, and more helpful for all those that would be interested in reading the book.
on September 22, 2015
I purchased this book for many reasons:
1.) I wanted to have better quality interactions when I volunteer with special needs children - I am tired of knowing it could be better, but not knowing how to get there
2.) while I am not ASD, I still have many of the same types of social and behavioral challenges.
I found many concrete examples of what behaviors I need to stop engaging in, along with a variety of more acceptable behaviors.
Many of the techniques in this book are applicable to everyone, regardless of disability.
I would recommend this book to individuals who never "fit in", even if you enjoy your singularity.
on July 8, 2013
This book is a great teaching tool to improve one's social skills. Its clear language, logical format, and testimonials help illustrate the essential principles of sociability to a person on the autistic spectrum. While it focuses on sociability as it applies to autism, it can be used for someone who wishes to make a better impression on people. While it does not focus as much on the science of being social, it helps with the practical aspects of relating to other people. I would especially recommend this for the parent of an autistic child, as it provides excellent insights into how to teach a child how to relate to others. Five stars!
on May 9, 2013
This is a fantastic book with an incredible insight into the world of a person with ASD. My heart ached as I read Sean's struggles and it really made me fear for my autistic daughter's luck once she starts school. I feel that this book or a book of this kind should be mandatory literarture in school. I think it would give children great perspective and open their minds into the struggles of other kids. The only reason why I read this book is because my daughter has autism. I am trying to learn and be a better mom for her. I wouldn't have read or known about autism otherwise I don't think. If I think of myself back in school years, if Sean had been my classmate I definitely wouldn't have tortured him or bothered him, but would I have tried to reach out and be his friend?...probably not. I probably would have felt he was weird and left it at that. I don't think reading this kind of book would make every single child stop bullying these non typical kids, but I think it would change the mindset of many so that these kids don't have to live years of pure hell as they try to get through school.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2018
Autism provides a unique perspective from which human nature and behavior can often be seen in a clearer light. Temple Grandin has used her uniqueness to help us look at ourselves in ways we don't even think of. This is truly the definitive study on social relationships in our society, and would be a valuable handbook for anyone to read. Fascinating.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse