Truck Season Automotive Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on August 14, 2015
I don't know if anyone else has done this yet, but this is a detailed breakdown of what is in this book. It is more information than I ever expected, in a format that is sectioned down in consistent and easy to read and reference. Personally, this is one of the best investments I made prepping for my brand new role as a mother. I bought it in my second trimester. I poured through it making notes and highlighting as I went. Dr Sears IS pro-vaccine, yet he writes from a neutral stand point giving you facts. But he is not here to tell you to get vaccines, rather to guide you in making the right choices for you! I'm pretty sure those that gave one star are those that have not even read a word of this book, but are rather so adamantly against just the idea of people not vaccinating that they must discredit a wealth of knowledge that benefits ALL parents and children.
It starts with the current to date vaccine schedule chart. He then goes over each vaccine in order, each vaccine being their own chapter, and following a consistent format per chapter. The history of the disease. The description, likelihood of getting it, and the statistics including the risk factors involved for your child should they contract it, the short term and potentially long term outcome or damage, and the mortality rate. So basically the risks of not getting the vaccine. Followed by the risks of getting the vaccine. Common immediate reactions, more significant risks which can be different according to each company that makes the vaccine. (These are all based off of case studies and statistics). The different versions that may be made as a single disease vaccine, or as a combination vaccine, which also depending on the maker. Single and Combo are both gone over thoroughly. All known side effects and their likeliness per maker of the vaccine, in past versions and current ones, the ingredients and specific amounts of things like aluminum and formaldehyde. Aluminum being especially important because if your pediatrician is using certain ones that contain higher levels, you would not want to get them at the same time as another with mid to high aluminum levels. Meaning you might want a different brand for one, or if that's not an option for you, wait until the next visit for the other vaccine containing aluminum, thus keeping levels in your child lower and safe. Some contain eggs, which your child may be allergic to. If there is a particular maker with risks that aren't worth taking the chance, he will tell you that he doesn't recommend that certain brand/combo for that vaccine- not to be confused with not getting one all together. At the end of each of those chapters, he weighs in. Recommending whether this is one he personally believes you really shouldn't skip, or whether it's one that is not really necessary in scenarios such as a breastfed child who is not in daycare until a certain age. Whether the vaccine is given primarily as protection for the child, or more as protection for someone exposed to the child, with the child simply being an unaffected carrier. Like being a potential risk around a pregnant mother. If you are uncomfortable with following the recommended schedule of what and when, he has chapters at the end that help you with a delayed or selective schedule, or customizing your own.
Does this help you realize how important this book is? And why we as parents should take the responsibility of knowing what is injected in our child and why?
456 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on January 17, 2018
I recently became aware of some interesting facts regarding vaccines and wanted to do more research. I feel like this book does a thorough job of explaining what is in vaccines and let’s you make an informed decision about what vaccines you want to give your children.
5 people found this helpful
on May 15, 2018
I feel so much more confident navigating this confusing and overwhelming topic now. I can now make an informed decision as to which vaccines to give my child, which to avoid, and at what age its truly necessary to get each one.
2 people found this helpful
on April 8, 2018
I haven’t made it all the way through the book yet, but I’m learning a ton as I try to figure out what to do about vaccines for my little one! I’m not pro vaccine but I’m not anti Vaccine either, and it’s so hard to find information that isn’t just another Mom’s opinion (with no citations to the information being presented :/ ). Not only that - it’s facts and not judgmental rants from one side or the other!
on November 7, 2017
Very informative. I'll probably be referencing this book for years to come. I rated this book at a 5 star because I thought it provided you with as much information as possible for you make your own decisions on vaccination. This is a good book for all parents to read and keep re-reading. Also, it helped me know what I wanted to search specifically for on the internet for certain topics.
on August 26, 2017
This is the best book ever. It tells you all the information and let's you make the best decision for yourself. I love everything Dr. Sears does but this was by far the most important book we needed right now in making these decisions. I highly recommend it to anyone who realized the importance of vaccination but has some concerns about how it's done and what is in the vaccines.
on April 9, 2018
I absolutely love this book and highly recommend it! When my son was born we tried to research the vaccines he would be getting, but all I could find were articles condeming you for vaccinating your kids or condeming you for not vaccinating your kids. But, none of them would tell me why they felt that way. This book gives you the facts without condeming you either way. Dr Sears makes it clear that he does support vaccines but gives you the information to make the decision that is best for your child, and an alternative vaccine schedule that takes a middle ground approach. Among other topics, he tells you all the side effects, how common the diseases are and (what I like the most) what specifically makes each vaccine controversial. I can't recommend this book enough for anyone trying to research vaccines for their kids.
on August 3, 2016
So informative and educated me on how to make the best decisions regarding vaccines and my baby. I highly recommend this book for any parent who wants to be more empowered and a bigger part of making medical decisions regarding the health of their children. Dr. Sears is not anti vaccine! He gives all the info, he gives his opinion... but, ultimately leaves the decision up to the parents.
on August 3, 2013
With all the harrangue about vaccinations, it's nice to know there is a book that tells the whys and why not to help parents get unbiased information. I didn't know all of the shots a child needed to get and each chapter is easy to read and understand. Both sides are well explained and I made my decision to choose certain shots based on this information. This book was suggested by my pediatrician and I also discussed which shots are important going by her opinion after reading the book. I took her information and have now created a shot schedule that works best for my family, while still getting my baby vaccinated with the most important ones first. I plan to keep this book around for years because baby has to get his shots regularly till almost middle school.
2 people found this helpful
on September 19, 2015
very informative book for those concerned about the standard vaccine schedule and the amount of things that are being placed in your child. Please dont get it twisted he is not against vaccines at all. he just believes in moderation. for my niece's one year birthday she came home covered in bandaids...when i asked her mom she said she received 10 vaccines today she had a bandaid on the back of each arm and two on her thighs needless to say she was cranky and running a fever