Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 311 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 495 reviews
on August 8, 2016
The book has a novel idea of introducing and using magic and illusions throughout the story. Hand in hand they bring us from start to finish.
Being a Lincoln Rhyme novel the characters, at this point are very well developed. Enter Kara, a student of the illusion. She helps the crew by explaining and demonstrating the ins and outs of illusion as Rhyme's crew sets about trying to solve a number of murders.
The story keeps the readers' interest with an untold multitude of twists and turns as the story unfolds. Illusion intertwines with the story very well.
Mr. Deaver has done well researching the art of illusion and apparent magic. The story is entertaining.

However, and this is not a spoiler, I found the illusion which takes place in the Tombs jail, a bit over the top and not plausible.
I also feel the story runs on too long. After all is solved and the antagonists are dealt with, I don't feel the next few chapters are actually even needed. They serve to wrap the story. But, after the bad guys are dealt with, there is not much wrapping up needed in this particular book.
on February 18, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the Lincoln Rhyme series, but The Vanished Man is my least favorite so far. There are repeated laundry lists of clues by scene (literal LISTS!) which are about as readable as a telephone book. More importantly (since I could just skip the lists) is my disappointment at the limited character development in this novel. The compelling first book in the series was all about the two main characters -- it was riveting. Some of the subsequent ones have done a decent job at character focus, but this one Deaver seemed to have abandoned his characters for an overflowing amount of plot. Quite frankly, it became boring. I'm very surprised at the high number of stars by many reviewers. I will try the next book in the series in hopes this was an anomaly, but if not, then I'll have to quit. Fingers crossed this was simply a rushed job by Mr. Deaver and the next one will be stellar.
on June 11, 2016
I can't. Yes they are formulaic to some degree. However they are well written, hottest characters, twists and turns. The criminals are always mote complex with twists and turns I cannot anticipate and have to read again sometimes to keep them straight. Great fun.

The progression of character development of "the good guys " is complex and very fulfilling to this reader. No one said it is a crime to feel good when you finish a book. Rhymes refers to himself as a crip. This is jarring. But we get a real picture of his struggles, depression, hopelessness and suicidal ideation, and personal triumphs. Psychological triumphs. What could be better than Sachs. A model who picks her nails and makes her scalp bleed. A arthritic police woman.

Yes I am going to download the next book. Only complaint is high cost of books from this author.

But as I said I want to..... but I can't stop.
on March 5, 2017
I like this series but this one kept dragging. The last one with the Asian gangsters and human smuggling was great with great characters.
The vanished man had no character development. It may be my last of this series.
on April 30, 2017
This was an exciting story and the twists and turns will only urge the reader to read on. Masterfully written, I found myself wanting it to end and then wanting it to end. I was sorry when it did.
on February 19, 2016
I hadn't read a Lincoln Rhyme novel in a while and I remembered from page one why I read a so many of them back to back. Deaver does not disappoint with this novel. It was suspenseful, shocking, well written and maintained my interest throughout. The level of "crazy" that Deaver is able to bring to the page is truly frightening. There were many twists and turns along the way and some very interesting characters as well. Only criticism is there were two or three different points were I thought the book could have ended and it didn't, it climaxed before the end and sort of "went on". All and all, highly recommend this book if you are a fan of Deaver and Lincoln Rhyme.
on May 30, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed his writing style, although I felt at times I felt lost in the detailed description and set up of all the magic tricks, that took place. All in all a good read.
on June 7, 2016
This story combines how to find and interpret forensic evidence and magic tricks. Both areas were full of interesting information. The crime is murder and Lincoln is hired to help the police. The suspect seems to have disappeared from right under the noses of the police. It turns out he is a worker of magic = illusions, etc. Lincoln gets help from and aspiring magician. Interesting story. I like the way the characters interact with each other. This one is getting recommended to my book club.
on November 7, 2014
I enjoyed reading this novel as I do nearly all of Jeffery Deaver's works. However, this particular book was rather disappointing. The plot left much to be desired. The author immersed himself in trying to charm the reader with insider's knowledge of the world of magicians/illusionists, but his talent for writing suspense novels is what disappeared in this book. It was very predictable to the end. The main characters weren't at all likable. Instead they came off as egotistical, patronizing, and petty. Smugness for Lincoln Rhyme seemed to be his permanent state. This book was more like a first attempt by an absolute amateur than a polished crime writer. I'd give it a miss and opt for one of his better works.
on March 22, 2017
Mr Deaver books are always great to read. A lot of twist and turns to keep you on your toes.