Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 8, 2016
Bill Pullman is a little old to play the title role. In the book the Viriginian is around 25-30 years old; and at over 40, Pullman doesn't quite work. Still, they've paired him with Diane Lane, also an older lead, and so the romance part works. Pullman also directed and he made some interesting visual choices, particularly to keep the camera mobile during long master shots, which lends the movie an air of slight surprise. A creditable version of the book, which preserves the major plot points, while avoiding some of the novelists questionable politics. It's a pity that the disc is in the old square TV format, because it's clear that it was filmed with the 1.78, widescreen ratio in mind, and a wide transfer would have been a better choice, especially given those Western (Alberta) landscapes.
on April 6, 2017
In my view, this is a romance, set in a Western scenario. I have no issue with that - but as such, the pace is slower because of feelings and relationships being sorted out. If you are expecting a Western, in the usual sense, this may not be the movie for you.

I am a fan of both of the main actors, so this was easy for me to like. The chemistry was great between them, and I especially liked the spoken word, which was different. It only makes sense that English was not the same then as it is now, and this is one movie that reflects that - very rare, and enjoyable!
on February 16, 2017
Im so glad they finally put this movie out on dvd. Since I first saw it on television I knew I wanted to add it to my collection. I have owned it on VHS and wondered why it wasnt on dvd. Now it is! This is one of my favorite all time westerns.I think everything about this movie comes together seamlessly to make it what it is. From dialog appropriate to the era, to the music and cinematography, to the acting and the story. Its one of those movies that just does it right.
on October 2, 2016
I have loved the book since my mom introduced it to me over 50 years ago. Watched James Drury on the tv series. Researched all the various versions (one with Gary Cooper, one with Joel Mc Crea). This is a different, darker yet beautiful interpretation. Bill Pullman gives it his very individual stamp. Beautiful scenery (even if it is Alberta rather than Wyoming).
on April 29, 2010
This is my second purchase of the vcr, as the first's audio quality was very poor.
I like this move for a couple of reasons. One is the use of the language, except for one slip in the background it's true to the book and lends a flavor to the movie that makes it unique. The direction of the horses running was strong and added tension. I liked James Drury in a role and Dennis Weaver, a little reminiscent touch with Mr. Drury that was well done. I liked the music score alot. As you can tell, I liked the movie! I read Owen Wister's book when I was in my early teens. As it was written in the early 1900's, and the time of the story is about 15 years earlier, the language and depiction of life and the setting would be fairly accurate. No computer visual additions, just a good story.
on September 25, 2014
I thought Pullman did a good job in a slightly recast story even if he is no Gary Cooper, and I very much liked the new resolution. The photography was great. The script was good in general for a traditional western with a laconic hero even if it is a TV movie, but there were a couple of moments that I did not fully understand because it's been a while since I read the book and I did not understand the cowboy movie vernacular perfectly. I have some guesses but I am not confident of them. Also the intensity of the initial dislike between Trampus and the Virginian took a while to understand--till the end of the movie if fact.
on May 28, 2015
I did like the beautiful Wyoming countryside in this movie version of Owen Wister's classic western novel. It was exciting and well-done. I personally hated Trampas, which I was supposed to do. Harris Yulen was in his one of his best roles I felt, as the supportive Judge Garth. Diane Ladd was very appealing as Molly Stark. Bill Pullman was excellent as the straight, no-nonsense, yet cold foreman the Virginian himself. my only objection to it was that it went too slow in places. Definitely, I am glad I purchased this movie, and it is almost a favorite of mine. A very good western flick for sure.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 6, 2015
Excellent film of the western novel by Owen Wister that gave the world such memorable lines as "When you call me that, Smile". Bill Pullman is perfectly cast as the quiet, capable character of title.
on August 18, 2015
I have always liked Bill Pullman as a leading actor, more so in the few romances that have been filmed. (While You Were Sleeping, this western and parts of Independence Day come to mind.) Don't know why he wasn't/isn't used more in that vein rather than other 'bit' parts (hardly there in The Equalizer).
While some of the language may seen a little antiquated in this version of The Virginian, I believe they were trying to stay true to the novel so that made it OK. John Savage in a supporting part was pretty good but the two leads make this movie. Gorgeous Canadian filming locations as well.
on December 2, 2017
You have to be a Bill Pullman fan to love this movie, which I am. He's deliciously adorable in this almost carbon copy of the original and the acting is just as bad. I felt like this movie needed to be 30 minutes longer as the story line had a few holes and the characters themselves were rather underdeveloped. Over all it felt rushed. But I like Bill Pullman so all that aside it's a good movie.