BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Jessi James decker Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on September 3, 2015
I watch the show and I heard the comics were a bit different, so I decided I should read them. So far, I'm enjoying it until I just about reached the halfway point. There about 20 pages that looks like they ran out of ink when they were printing. THIS SUCKS!! I missing major parts and I think someone died during the faded pages....

Do they not have people for quality control? Sigh...
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 307 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2016
In my eyes, The Walking Dead comics are the epitome of the real deal, a classic kind-of old school comic. A comic than can still keep you guessing and the text matches up perfectly with the drawings. Its totally raw and unfiltered but is ever so intriguing.The whole story-line, itself, is what truly distinguishes it away from any other series and/or comics. I was instantly engaged; I couldn't not reserve time to watch this very realistic post-apocalyptic show on AMC that I fell completely in love with either. I began to read the comics and wow, was I truly hooked. Robert Kirkman's comics have no rules, no limitations. Its all just so raw.I love The Walking Dead: Thank you AMC!!

Amazon: The only complaint i had with the compendium was that a few pages had fallen out of the book (of course, it is a huge book) but it was a gift for my boyfriend. Needless to say, I called Amazon and they were more than reluctant to help me :) to either refund me the price or send me a new Walking Dead Compendium, I ended up doing an exchange and I have no further complaints regarding this replacement copy! Thanks to Amazon the whole ordeal was simple and effortless.

Thanks
on July 4, 2016
After being forced to leave the farm, Rick's group stumbles upon what seems to be a permanent sanctuary, an abandoned prison. Soon after clearing one cell block and settling in, the survivors learn that they are not the only residents of this prison and realize for the first time that the greatest threat to their survival in this new world may not be the dead, but the living.
on July 21, 2013
I was on the fence a long time about this purchase--I knew that the series was well-renowned, and that it was very addicting, but I was turned off by two things: the price of the compendium and the black-and-white artwork. I figured that I would be taking a pricey risk on a graphic novel that I had never seen before, and that a graphic novel without color wasn't really a graphic novel at all.

Boy, was I wrong. This compendium of the Walking Dead may seem daunting at 1000+ pages, but you'll blaze through it once you're around a hundred pages through. Every page was thrilling, and you'll keep telling yourself "one more page". If you find yourself at all engrossed by the story, buy the second compendium immediately. Once you finish the first, you will not be able to wait to continue the story. I finished the second compendium in a day, and have since bought Volumes 17 and 18 (finished in a day as well) to continue my adventure through the work. Sadly the third compendium will not be out for another few years, so I might need to start purchasing the work issue by issue.

I know I haven't explained much about the story, but that's because the story really speaks for itself. As you might predict, the story isn't so much about humans fending off the zombie threat as it is about humans fending off other humans, as we are, according to the story, infinitely more unpredictable. The interactions between the characters in the story are much more entertaining than their constant struggle against the zombies, and it is here that the story succeeds in drawing you in.

A must-buy for any fan of a good story.
on January 3, 2015
Great quality, happy I purchased these.

I started reading the Walking Dead very late. I had watched a few seasons of the show on AMC and decided to pick the books up. These are great 12 book compendiums. I pulled through each book quickly to catch up on the series and have now moved to reading these on my iPad when each issue is released.

The stories are quite well written and the art is fantastic.

Don't expect the same story line of the show and be willing to put aside reality a bit more as well.
on September 10, 2015
After hearing how amazing the Graphic Novels were and enjoying the show since day one, I decided to buy both Compendiums I and II and kick back and enjoy some good reading.

It really doesn't matter that most people looking at this item has already watched the show. It does follow along for the most part but there are quite large differences as well. It's worth the read, TV show or Not!

As with most books, your imagination gets to carry you further than generally a TV show or movie can ever do. Although this does have 'pictures' and art in it to carry the reader along with the story, I found myself more 'creeped out' and genuinely thinking about where I'd go and what I'd do in the situation while reading the book rather than the TV show's affect on me.

There are some darker parts in the book that never made it to TV and definitely some non-kid-friendly situations so Buyer Be Warned if you're planning on giving it to a kid under probably 16 or so.

Compendium 3 will be out soon and I've been chomping at the bit for what seems like forever to get more!

So much better than the already awesome show!
on December 30, 2014
True fans will want to know -- this is the book in which Rick's group finds the infamous prison, where they believe they can finally be safe: after all, it has fences, guard towers, cinderblock walls, and, if all else fails, walker-impenetrable cell blocks. There is even an area between the fences and the prison proper that could be used for farming purposes, and don't they know a certain farmer?

So begins one of the bloodiest chapters in the series, as Rick and his people strive to subdue what ultimately proves to be their undoing. At this point in the story, the dead are the enemy, the only enemy. They have no inkling that other survivors are out there, or the threat that they pose. It's still only about Rick and his group versus the Walking Dead.

So much more dramatic, then, when the group finds the prison inhabited, when, for the first time, they are confronted with people outside their own circle.

Most of the story concerns the interaction between Rick's group and a few prisoners who've survived the Zombie Apocalypse up to this point because they were locked inside by fleeing guards ...

Rick is still naive at this point, though Lori is not, voicing concerns that perhaps the dead are not what they should be worried about. There is no law and order anymore. There is no justice. There is just man versus man, which our good friend Rick does not get until things get sour, and very quickly.

One of the former prisoners thinks that they shouldn't share with the newcomers, that Rick and his people should be on their way, and so acts accordingly. Another attacks vulnerable members of Rick's group.

The main theme in this book is the evolution of Rick's character: his growing awareness of what the new world is, and what it will take from him to keep his family alive in it. It's not about zombies at all, but about moral choices.

When there is no law, no judgement, when it is just the strongest imposing their will, and when the weak will perish, what will he do, as leader? What choices will he be faced with?

Again, for fans: this is the transition book -- book 1 is about Rick versus the Dead, book 2 is about Rick's evolution into a man who can look beyond the zombie threat. Book 3 is about Rick's final transformation: his realization that the real threat to himself and his family comes not from the slow, staggering walkers, but from other survivors, who have no law to reign them in any longer.

Fascinating in this book are two things: 1st, that Rick, the former lawman, must turn dictator and murderer for the greater good, thus sacrificing his humanity, and 2nd, the intimations of what man will do when no one is watching, when society breaks down, when survival is the only isssue, and all the hungers of man are no longer kept in check by the system's wrist binds and chains.

All in all, a better book than the first one, in my opinion. Perhaps the best of the bunch. I don't give it five stars for two reasons: 1st, it is still mostly clumsily drawn. Too many rushed sketches, particularly when crowds have to be portrayed. And 2nd, because the psychological aspect of the events are still only hinted at here: the tv series explores them. This book only flirts.
on August 29, 2017
Love this comic series as much as I love the show. Hard to keep up since I don't read comics/graphic novels much anymore so I buy these giant multi pound compendiums to catch up. Phone books weigh less, you could probably hurt someone with this book so be careful.
on July 4, 2016
As the Alexandria Safe-Zone finds itself recuperating from the herd attack, Rick begins making descisions that will lead to the long term sustainability of their community. Carl is still unconscious from his injury and it is unclear whether he will survive. Some people also question the bold choices Rick has made for the community and try to take over Alexandria
on March 30, 2014
I got this after watching The Walking Dead on TV and I was very happy with it. The story line was different enough from the show that I was kept in suspense. The quality was fine for a paperback. The weight/size of it may make it easier to damage if you aren't somewhat careful. Although, my wife and I both read through these books without any apparent damage occurring while they were being carried from room to room as we devoured the pages. Great value. I would have wanted a hard back compendium if I could find one though.