Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 5,071 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,734 reviews
on September 3, 2015
I watch the show and I heard the comics were a bit different, so I decided I should read them. So far, I'm enjoying it until I just about reached the halfway point. There about 20 pages that looks like they ran out of ink when they were printing. THIS SUCKS!! I missing major parts and I think someone died during the faded pages....

Do they not have people for quality control? Sigh...
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2016
I've purchased all volumes up to 22 and the TV show has just about caught up to wear I am in the novels. These books are friggen awesome. I don't read much and my buddy lent me VOL 1 after he knew I liked the show. Well, I burned through the first one and then just went on a tear buying 4 volumes at a time...the price is pretty good for what you get out of these. $9-$15 is the range I've paid per novel, I'm not sure why they aren't the same but anyways, I keep buying them none the less. The story was written before the TV Show and the show follows the story but there is some differences. The written story is more violent and graphic then the tv show but the tv show does a decent job of sticking with main ideas. I've noticed that certain plot things that happen in the book also happen in the show but there is a unique twist like a different character it happens to or something like that. Which makes reading these volumes great cuz I have some idea of where the story is going (after having watched all tv episodes) but there are still surprises. If you like the TV show and haven't read these, give it a try and you will get a whole new experience of the Walking Dead story. I'm putting this same review under every volume I've purchased (1-22) so people can see it. go buy these!
on August 5, 2010
This was one of the most low keyed Walking Dead volumes I have read, with only a couple of minor scrapes with the undead and most of it dedicated to interaction between Rick and his group and a new group of people who find him. They are welcomed with mostly open arms into a community outside Washington, D.C. This community seems too good to be true and much like me, some of the characters are finding it hard to adjust to a world that seems safe and normal...normal being the part that feels strange to everyone.

I think what was most interesting in this particular volume was the fact that while we do not know everything about this new group, on the surface they appear to be completely on the up and up, while Rick and his group have the perspective of being the ones not to be trusted...and based on their actions, it almost seems as if Kirkman wants us to feel a little uncomfortable with Rick and the others rather than this other group. I thought it was an interesting twist and raises the question of whether or not it is impossible for things to ever go back to what they were before the apocalypse for Rick, his son, Michonne, and some of the others.

My guess is that things are about to get stirred up in this series, because as is the case with previous episodes, there is usually a calm before the storm. I just wonder if Rick is going to be the one that is going to be the cause of all the trouble this time around.
on October 13, 2015
This entire compendium is a steal. It's highway robbery and we are ALL committing the crime but it's fine, because this is what they wanted. This compendium alone save you more than $60 worst( probably more) and it only cost $36.00?(at least at the time I bought it) That alone is enough of a reason to buy. So much content for so little money, as is the case with the rest of the compendiums.

I'm going to try stray away from as much spoilers as possible but excuse me now if i happen to spoil anything.
This series continues to be fantastic. Characters gets more developed, stories get more wilder, and villains get maniacal. This new guy Negan, believe me when I say this (do not underestimate me) you are going to HATE this guy with every atom in your body. Every cell will yearn with anger. If you hated the Governor for any reason what so ever and couldn't him in the slightest bit, maybe you might not want to read this compendium after all. Negan is vile, evil, horrible, any synonym that derives from bad, he is that and so much more. There are times I wanted to rip out pages just because I didn't want his drawings there. When they put his character on the show, they are going to tone him down levels that weren't even known to be possible. Seriously, half his dialogue is F-bombs, the show probably begin to stray far away at this point in the comics more than it has even done. Makes me wish the show was on HBO instead of AMC.
There are going to character deaths that are going to upset you, I'm warning you right now (I don't consider this a spoiler, considering this is TWD and nobody is safe, so you already knew this was coming) I say this now, don't get attached to anyone, because nobody is safe after this. You might even hate Kirkman for what he has done. He is going to test your emotional limits and I tell you this now, you might not be able to handle it.
New characters get introduced, as is with TWD, some lovable, some dreadful. My favorite is still Paul Jesus Monroe and yes, I know, he got introduced into the end of the second compendium, but he develops into a much better character at the end of all this.

In all honesty, I could sit here and write everything I feel about the TWD and this compendium and what the story has become so far, I could write 20 essays but I think there is limit to how much you can right on an amazon review, or maybe there isn't, who knows. I'm just trying to stray from spoilers as much as I can to let you enjoy it as much as possible.
Regardless, if you love the world of TWD,and have made it this far, you are probably going to make it to the of this end as well. It's going to be another journey just like the first two. There will be ups and downs and moments of serious agonizing torment but you will get through this and you will throughly enjoy this. You have my word

And if not, you can just beat me over the head with Lucille.
77 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2016
Like a fine, fine, wine TWD just keeps getting better and better with age! Another amazing volume in beautiful hardcover with all the extras and covers included as well!
on August 3, 2012
I missed the Walking Dead when the comic first came out. I am definitely a comic book fan, but black and white comics always turn me off.

I guess that's my loss.

I also missed out on the first season of the walking dead. I started watching it on Netflix and watched all of season 1 in one night!

That being said, I had to catch up on the comics.

So, I ordered the Compendium. The thing is as thick as a telephone book and is a little awkward to read. But it's the best and cheapest way, especially if you buy it on Amazon, to catch up on the comic.

The tv show and the comic are really two different takes on the same characters. Rick Grimes is still the main guy, but there are differences in characters and different characters. It's really great to see the way that some of these characters react to different situations.

If you are a fan of the tv show, then you will be a fan of this comic book. It's written by Robert Kirkman who is the main writer on the tv show. The tension is still there, the relationships are still there, and the action is still there. But be warned, it's bloody! Oh and nobody is safe in this book. Anybody can die at any time. You won't believe who dies who lives, and the relationships that are formed, or destroyed because of these developments.

So, if you are a fan of the show, you need to get this book. If you are too "cool" to read comics, then you will just have to read this in your bedroom because you can't miss this take on the characters. Easily one of the best comics boo..... No make that books that I have read in a long time!
on November 5, 2016
In simple words.... It keeps getting better and the twist is amazingly shocking and intriguing due to the repercussions of it.
on April 9, 2013
it's not just the money savings but if you are zipping through the story, you will be peeved to have to switch volumes, you know?

It's black and white (which makes it cheaper for Image to make) and the cover isn't sooo terrible but it will eventually split but not after one read through. I would put a cover on this like an old school textbook so you have that sense of security and precaution. I really hope Compendium Three comes out soon but I doubt we will wait long enough and will probably end up picking the Books or Volumes or whatever the next largest size collection is. The Compendiums are our preferred way to go not only because of the savings.

I was worried about the heft making it unfun to read but actually like the Sandman trades, it comforts you to know that no matter how much longer you have to stand in line, you won't run out of entertainment - unlike smartphone apps which are just overrated in my opinion.

May this genre of eating up our time never go the way of the Dodo.

This book arrived before the expected free shipping date which means my brother got his birthday present early so thank you, thank you, Amazon.
on March 3, 2017
Absolutely does not ruin the show at all. If anything, it enhances the show. I own all three (3) books, and they are all BEAUTIFUL. beautiful to read, beautiful to look at and beautiful to display. Can't put them down! This may actually be a couple notches better than the TV series... And I am a huge fan of the show.... HUGE. You would not be disappointed if you bought this. (set)
on November 7, 2015
I'm a huge fan of TWD, originally got hooked through AMC's adaptation of the graphic novel and always wanted to go to the source material. What I love about this product vs either the compendium, volumes, or individual comics is that the books are hardcover, and slightly larger than the other versions. The compendium seemed a little to bulky and lengthy. Each book has a different color (Book 1 is red, Book 2 is blue, and so forth) which makes a collected set really stand out!

From what I've read so far, the dialog by Kirkman is a little basic but I am drawn more to Moore and Adlard's artwork. Landscapes, walkers, and character's facial expressions are all expertly penciled. The detail in all of the frames is amazing and I find myself staring at the full page drawings. Another nice point is the sketchbook at the end of the book which has full page color sketches that are stunning!

I cannot wait to have the full collection!!!