Lyft Vehicles Review Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

If you are considering purchasing this book, I assume you are already familiar with the Walking Dead. This hardcover collection is my favorite way to read and collect the series. It saves so much room versus buying single issues or the trade paperbacks. The beautiful hardcover protects the stores and ensures they will last for a while. Each volume contains 12 comics as well as some rare artwork and commentary from Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard. I love how these look on my shelf and I would recommend them to ANY Walking Dead fan, whether you are brand new to the comics, or already own single issues or trade paperbacks.....these are THE way to collect, read, and enjoy them!!
on September 3, 2015
I watch the show and I heard the comics were a bit different, so I decided I should read them. So far, I'm enjoying it until I just about reached the halfway point. There about 20 pages that looks like they ran out of ink when they were printing. THIS SUCKS!! I missing major parts and I think someone died during the faded pages....

Do they not have people for quality control? Sigh...
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
66 comments| 357 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 22, 2015
I get excited every year they put another one of the Omnibuses out. The artwork is phenomenal, and the inclusion of additional covers, sketches, and other drawings at the end is a welcomed finish. It is a big heavy book, so definitely designed as a collector's item. Highly recommended.

Update: anyone know if #7 is coming out? These have been perfectly timed in the past to come out around the holidays and this year, nothin.

Update: I contacted a distributor and they said while they don't have an official release date for Omnibus 7, they estimated sometime in July/August 2017
on November 27, 2015
Great book and an excellent value, but..... There are some terribly misprinted books out there. Read the reviews below. Amazon will take them back and replace them, but mine was an untrimmed mess with art slipping off the page. Amazon should have caught the mess of a book I had and not shipped it.
on April 21, 2014
If you're a fan of the TV show and want to get more of the fascinating characters and story then you won't be dissapointed in the least. Having been a fan of the series from the beginning I have often considered reading the comics as a way to see more of the story. If you're worried you will be bored since you have watched all the episodes - don't be. It's different enough that I never know exactly what is going to happen next yet similar enough that I feel I "know" many of the characters already which makes it all the more compelling. It's almost like a look at an alternate walking dead universe where it's mostly the same people we know but the relationships between them, the ways the meet up, and the triumphs and tragedies they experience are often altogether different from the world you've seen. Once the story really got rolling along I found I was having a very similar experience to reading a good novel - getting lost in the story and wanting to hurry up and turn another page to see what was going to happen next. I've almost finished Compendium One now and already ordered the second book so won't have a gap in reading. The artwork is great and altough it's completely in black and white I found it didn't take anything away from it and perhaps even sets a better tone. The book itself is quite heavy and well constructed. The cover is a thick paperpack style and the pages a have a glossy feel like a really high quality magazine. Any fan of the show will love this read, go ahead and get it!
on September 6, 2017
The beginning of the show that has captured the imagination of the world. I bought this after I had watched the first two seasons of the show. It was interesting to see where they deviated from the comics and where they stayed faithful to them. Of course, the black and white style gave it a very old school, Night of the Living Dead vibe. I was surprised by how much the characters came to life in the comics. I could easily visualize them doing on the screen what they were doing on the page.
All in all, this made for interesting reading in between season breaks as I pondered on who would be the next to go and how they would meet their demise.

Michael Kelso, author of, 'One on One'.
on December 30, 2014
True fans will want to know -- this is the book in which Rick's group finds the infamous prison, where they believe they can finally be safe: after all, it has fences, guard towers, cinderblock walls, and, if all else fails, walker-impenetrable cell blocks. There is even an area between the fences and the prison proper that could be used for farming purposes, and don't they know a certain farmer?

So begins one of the bloodiest chapters in the series, as Rick and his people strive to subdue what ultimately proves to be their undoing. At this point in the story, the dead are the enemy, the only enemy. They have no inkling that other survivors are out there, or the threat that they pose. It's still only about Rick and his group versus the Walking Dead.

So much more dramatic, then, when the group finds the prison inhabited, when, for the first time, they are confronted with people outside their own circle.

Most of the story concerns the interaction between Rick's group and a few prisoners who've survived the Zombie Apocalypse up to this point because they were locked inside by fleeing guards ...

Rick is still naive at this point, though Lori is not, voicing concerns that perhaps the dead are not what they should be worried about. There is no law and order anymore. There is no justice. There is just man versus man, which our good friend Rick does not get until things get sour, and very quickly.

One of the former prisoners thinks that they shouldn't share with the newcomers, that Rick and his people should be on their way, and so acts accordingly. Another attacks vulnerable members of Rick's group.

The main theme in this book is the evolution of Rick's character: his growing awareness of what the new world is, and what it will take from him to keep his family alive in it. It's not about zombies at all, but about moral choices.

When there is no law, no judgement, when it is just the strongest imposing their will, and when the weak will perish, what will he do, as leader? What choices will he be faced with?

Again, for fans: this is the transition book -- book 1 is about Rick versus the Dead, book 2 is about Rick's evolution into a man who can look beyond the zombie threat. Book 3 is about Rick's final transformation: his realization that the real threat to himself and his family comes not from the slow, staggering walkers, but from other survivors, who have no law to reign them in any longer.

Fascinating in this book are two things: 1st, that Rick, the former lawman, must turn dictator and murderer for the greater good, thus sacrificing his humanity, and 2nd, the intimations of what man will do when no one is watching, when society breaks down, when survival is the only isssue, and all the hungers of man are no longer kept in check by the system's wrist binds and chains.

All in all, a better book than the first one, in my opinion. Perhaps the best of the bunch. I don't give it five stars for two reasons: 1st, it is still mostly clumsily drawn. Too many rushed sketches, particularly when crowds have to be portrayed. And 2nd, because the psychological aspect of the events are still only hinted at here: the tv series explores them. This book only flirts.
on October 31, 2012
I have never been a huge fan of graphic novels (with some exceptions), but being an avid fan of The Walking Dead, I just had to read the comics.

Looks - to be clear, just because you like the show does NOT mean you will necessary like the graphic novels. They are totally different, and are an acquired taste. The characters for the most part look and act very different from their television counterparts, and things move at a very fast pace. It can also be very, very graphic. If you are into this style or are open-minded to it, you should love it. The pages are beautiful and glossy (remember: it's ALL in black and white), the artwork is nicely done, and it really keeps your attention.

Story - like I said, the comics are very, very different from the show. Some story lines have been left out from the show or completely altered. The characters tend to act very different, and of course, exaggerated in the comics (they ARE comics). The show is great at turning these lively, fun and interesting caricatures into real people. It's a lot of fun to see where all of the stories from the show come from, and looking at the differences. The producers of the show have made it clear that they "switch things up" to keep viewers guessing, so reading this book does NOT mean you'll necessarily be spoiled. Although I will admit, most of the major plotlines still occur in the show.

Characters - as said earlier, the characters are incredibly different, for the most part. It's a comic book, so it's obviously not paced in the same way as a show, so the characters will inevitable be very different. Some characters are left out of the show completely, and even vice versa. Daryl and Merle Dixon are the biggest examples of this, who are in the show but not in the comics. It's been rumored that Daryl will be translated into the comics, but nothing is confirmed about that. Also, some characters like Tyreese have not been on the show yet, although that's still possible in the future, I guess.

Overall, this is a great and entertaining book. Moves as a super fast pace compared to the books, so you can get through it pretty quickly. But it's always advised to stop and admire the art, that's sort of the point. Anyway, while it won't be for everyone, and don't expect a replica of the show, it's a lot of fun and I definitely recommend it.
on July 29, 2013
I really wish I had read these before starting to watch the television show, but I am so glad that the series became popular because of the show. I love the show, and I think I loved the comics even more.

The comics are darker, grittier, and gorier than I was expecting. I mean, I knew it was going to be all of those things, but somehow a black and white comic portrays more gore than most things in color. And I really loved how everything is black and white - I really think it adds so much to the story. The artwork is fantastic, and I hardly even noticed when the illustrator changes near the beginning (I only know because I read somewhere that it happened).

I like so many more of the characters so much better in the comics than in the show. Andrea is one of my favorites - she's strong, skilled, unafraid, and willing to do quite a bit to protect Dale, the twins, and her friends. It's like she's a completely different person. A much more likable person. Rich is also less annoying in the comics. He's a better leader, and he understands his limitations much more. And he doesn't take crap from anyone. Carl is more child-like, and doesn't try to shoulder so much responsibility. He also actually listens (for the most part) and doesn't leave the house when someone tells him to get in the house.

And then there's the Governor. He's much crazier and scarier than anything that would have been able to be shown on television. And most people know he's crazy, they just don't want to get on his bad side. He's a perfect villain, and even though we don't know too much about his background we gt enough of a glimpse to see what fuels him. Most of the scenes with him were incredibly shocking, and not at all what I expected. Compared to the comic book version, the television Governor is tame.

The story is excellent, and the world building is pretty great too. It's amazing how much of this world we can learn about just through dialogue. I think that's part of the reason I love comic books/graphic novels, and why this one is so good. I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who watches the TV show but hasn't read the comics yet. Or to anyone who wants a fantastic zombie story. Or to anyone who enjoys comics/graphic novels. I wouldn't recommend it to a younger audience (I'd probably say it's at least PG-13). I loved this collection, and I can't wait to start the second compendium to find out what's next for everyone! 5/5.
on April 14, 2016
The Walking Dead, Vol 22, A New Beginning by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano, Cliff Rathburn – This is another interesting and gripping installment in this terrific graphic-novel series about human survivors struggling to live in a world of flesh-eaters. Rick and his followers have been able to force most of the flesh-eating zombies away from there fortified town. Rick and his son, Carl, travel to an allied compound, led by Maggie, where Carl intends to remain as an apprentice blacksmith. However, the ubiquitous battle with the flesh-eaters continues and a significant and terrifying change in their tactics and behavior could bring disaster to the long-struggling humans.