Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

The Walking Dead: Compendium Two
Format: Paperback|Change

on February 21, 2018
After like five years of waiting, I can finally say that I was able to read this book. AND IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!! Man, that wait was awful, but I mean... bills, you know? Fingers crossed it won't be another five years before I get my hands on the next compendium, because I am SO ready to dive in. This one ended on a great point and, knowing what little I unfortunately know about what is to come, I'm nervous and excited for what is next. It's been a long time since I've had to pick my jaw off the ground so many times while reading. The book is a monster, but I still tore through it in a matter of days (would have been less, were it not for work and responsibilities or whatever). It really keeps you on edge; turning the pages like it keeps you breathing. If you haven't been reading the books.... well.... you're doing yourself a huge disservice. And if you're a fan of graphic novels, specifically.... this is friggin' gold.
on June 22, 2016
If you're only hooked on the show so far, do yourself a kindness and catch up with the comics. They are drastically different and you'll be thrown for a loop. My husband, who's not a big reader, devoured this compendium faster than I could have the third compendium delivered! It's more intense than the show, so I have to take breaks here and there, but each time I pick back up, I'm hooked!
on March 20, 2014
Kirkman's frighteningly realized world of the zombie apocalypse hits its stride in the second compendium of this graphic serial. The ground rules have now been firmly established: a mysterious viral infection has turned most of humanity into shambling hordes of ravenous creatures. Society has collapsed, resources are scarce and no where is really safe. Desperate choices have to be made at every turn. Beloved characters can and do die with heart-breaking frequency. And every day, horrible things happen to fundamentally decent people; man, woman and child.

And then there's this chillingly unique spin on the time-worn zombie trope: in Kirkman's universe every living soul is already infected. Regardless of how they die, everyone is doomed to rise as a zombie. The only thing that can spare you that grim fate is a well-placed blow or shot to the brain.

But throughout it all, Kirkman keeps us focused on one central premise: in the time of the apocalypse when the dead roam the earth, it is the living that one must truly fear; not the undead.

Thus the titular conceit refers not to the undead ghouls, but the hapless survivors themselves; constantly on the move, always one step away from death, and steadily losing the last shreds of their humanity. The survivors are already walking corpses save one scant biological distinction. What does it mean to be human when survival often comes only at the expense of others? Who are the real monsters when both the living and undead prey upon those struggling to survive?

This central theme is the essential genius of this comic series, beautifully illustrated in lavish, gruesome detail, peppered with chilling dialog and some the tightest, most soul-searing plotting outside a Cormac McCarthy novel. This is a very dark, very adult "comic" series; but it has profoundly insightful things to say about the nature of humanity.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 15, 2016
Ok so I did not get into the comics until after the second season was over. By that time the comics were jumping in price due to the popularity of the series. I ended up buying a few of the graphic novels and it started getting pricey. I was able to borrow from a friend to get up to where this compendium two starts and purchased this which was much more cost effective. As expected, it is awesome! It is very well written, gripping and drawn exceptionally well. It is an easy read but it is so compelling. I enjoy comparing the comics to the tv series. I am so pumped to get the 3rd which I am ordering now...I need some TWD fix until the next season starts up again...in October. :( It is really cool to see the differences and also some back stories on some of the characters that they don't show you on TV.
on July 20, 2013
If you are a fan of The Walking Dead, you need to read this Compendium. For one, it's awesome. For two, it's the most cost-effective way of reading all the issues. I am eagerly awaiting Compendium Three.

I found The Walking Dead at the end of the TV show's 2nd season. After catching up on that, I started looking for more Walking Dead material to keep me occupied.

Now, if you are not familiar with The Walking Dead in print, it is different from the TV show. Or shall I say, the TV show is different from the print version, since it's the print version that came first. This does not bother me in the least, or cause any kind of confusion. I actually sort of like it because it means I get that much more entertainment from it.
on November 30, 2012
Kirkman's second compendium drives the story of Rick and his group further into the darkness of humanity after the apocylpse. The second compendium, much like the first one, is a page turner as Rick Grimes's character continues to develop. I like the depth and range of characters developed in The Walking Dead from Rick as the quasi-sherriff from High Noon who stands for morals and beliefs from a bygone world, the ultra-comic heroine in Michone and especially Carl as he struggles to mature in a world where innocence is stolen and day-to-day survival is the unwritten code. Kirkman explores what really matters in humanity in The Walking Dead as the group searches for something more than survival--to be humane.
on January 3, 2016
First - be warned - this is not a light book - you won't be sticking this in your pocket, or small purse.

After catching the addiction to the Walking Dead TV series my family quickly needed more. The Walking Dead Compendiums quickly drew in the entire family and kept us all wanting to read more. The Walking Dead is well written and the graphics are really good too.

Definitely recommended for any fan of the Walking Dead.
on January 15, 2013
This and compendium one covered my craving for more of this story while waiting for the next season of the TV show to start up. If you are a fan of the show, do yourself a favor and pick up The Walking Dead: Compendium One andThe Walking Dead: Compendium Two and then the following trade paperbacks,The Walking Dead Volume 17 TP: Something to Fear, and comics, you will not be disappointed. The story, like all good stories is character driven, the zombies and the world they inhabit simply a catalyst for great story telling. The compendiums are a great (if hefty) way to get caught up and current with the story.
on November 26, 2017
Like a lot of people I discovered The Walking Dead on AMC and found out it was first a comic book series. I quickly read through the first 2 compendium and getting ready for the third. The comic and the show have most of the same plot lines but the characters are switched around quite a lot. Makes it a very interesting read. The artwork is great even if it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between the male characters(unless they are wearing a hat). All in all a great story.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The second set of Walking Dead issues. This is the best way to read the story with so many issues gathered in one book because you will go through it fast. Especially if you watch the TV show its interesting to note the differences and similarities. Great Story with fantastic moody art.