Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 8, 2017
Rise Of The Governor is the first book in The Walking Dead : The Governor series! Brothers, Brian & Phillip, Phillip's young daughter Penny and two high school friends of Phillips, Bobby & Nick are left to fend for themselves during the start of the zombie apocalypse. As they find a house to hole up in, a series of unfortunate events happen that leaves Bobby dead and the other wanting to get to Atlanta to the supposed safe area. Once they get to Atlanta, nothing is what it seems there.

As they fight through the zombie herds and they realize that Atlanta is not safe, they happen to stumble upon another group of survivors. After Phillip makes a huge mistake, they are forced out once again to find yet another safe spot. It takes a raid by other survivors on the farmhouse they find for the events that lead up to Brian becoming the Governor!

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! Granted, I totally love the Walking Dead world but this one was a fantastic start to how the Governor came to be in the show! You can see how a weak person like Brian was in the beginning that made him be the strong man by the end of this book for what happened to him and the group. If you are a total Walking Dead nerd like myself, you need to read this series that shows what happened long before Woodbury!

Thank You to Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga for starting this novel series that ties in to the greatest show on TV right now!!

This book came from my own personal Library!
on September 26, 2017
I may be in the minority by giving it a 5/5, but I did think it was amazing. It's a much-needed backstory to one of the most fearsome villains in the Walking Dead universe. I read this before seeing the comics, so I was at first surprised to see how different this Governor was from the show version, which I like better. That said, this book sucked me in from the first page. It's good, classic zombie fiction, with plenty of gore and mayhem. The characters are compelling and make me care about their arcs.
As for plot, it the usual Road plot, where the characters have to run in search of shelter. It moves them toward Woodbury in a logical way. There are graphic bits, of course, but I want that in this kind of book, especially since it's TWD.
The style of writing actually influenced how I write my novels. So yes, you can say I liked this book. The ending is the best part.
on August 15, 2015
If you are a fan of The Walking Dead TV show (or the comic, really), these books are a lot of fun. This one was quite interesting to me because I really wanted to know more about the Governor, and this books shows us just how he became who he is. It reads easily and has some nice twists. In my opinion Rober Kirkman is a genius. If his name is attached, I know I am in for a fun and yet simultaneously poignant ride. I've seen every episode of the show, read every comic book issue, and have a fair amount of the toys. The Rise of the Governor (and the books that follow) fit very nicely into the Walking Dead universe. If you are a fan, I'd certainly suggest at least giving it a shot. I personally had a great time reading it.
3 people found this helpful
on December 26, 2012
I became a fan of the Walking Dead like a lot of people, through the TV series. I've only casually glanced at the comics because, firstly I don't want to get too far ahead and spoil it for myself and secondly, I've pretty much outgrown comics and just want to read "big-boy" books now. So when I saw there was a novel about the back story of the Governor I figured I can't go wrong. It doesn't really spoil anything as far as the TV series goes, I get to read a real book, and I get a healthy dose of Walking Dead during the mid-season break.

First, the book is a fun, easy read. I read it in about 2 days and enjoyed almost all of it. Does the "third person present tense" ruin it? No, not at all, didn't bother me at all, and I've read many books over the years, some very deep and complex all the way down to the most simplistic. There are many ways to tell a story, and I don't believe in "rule books" for the art.
I do however take objection to the many, many mistakes that show their laziness and lack of study in matters they obviously know nothing about. "Ford s-10s", "rich black Georgia soil", incredibly powerful .22 pistols, Central standard Time in North Ga., steel plated revolver?, something that looked to be either a .357 magnum or an army issue 45?? On and on I could go. Really lazy, guys. No proof-reading whatsoever?

The "twist' was predictable to me only because I peaked ahead in some comics previews here on Amazon (doh!) Those who've only seen the series and know nearly nothing about the Governor will be surprised I think.

Overall a fun read (which reading should be)that gives you a little glimpse behind the curtain while still leaving you craving more. Some proof-reading and study would've made ita 5 star book.

I'm looking forward to receiving the follow-up "Road to Woodbury", hopefully it will be more satisfying.
2 people found this helpful
on June 14, 2012
I really like the fact that this book series is starting on the opposite side of the fence. 'The Governor' obviously plays a major role in the graphic novels, but the graphic novels and the AMC TV program primarily revolve around the character Rick Grimes. I think writing a book series revolving around the same set characters would have been boring and redundant. The Rise of the Governor, does as it promises, and provides the back story that leads to the 'Rise of the Governor'. Brothers Phillip and Brian Blake are as opposite as they come and agree on virtually nothing. Their need to survive and desire to not become members of the dead communities that surround them is the only remaining henge keeping them together. The storyline follows the brothers and a few of their tag-along friends as they search for answers and other survivors. After discovering that Atlanta is impossible, they wonder from town to town in search of safe haven. After many struggles (the deaths of friends and family members traveling with them), set backs, and false starts, they find a small community of survivors in a town called Woodbury. At face value, it appears to be their lucky break after a series of heartbreaking blows, but the current below the surface turns out to be stronger than any of them could have ever imagined. All of the death and chaos has taken its toll on everyone. As it turns out, the world has far more to fear from the living than the dead. It is in this little community of Woodbury that they find their unimaginable fate and a Governor rises from the ashes.

I don't really have anything negative to say about this novel. The characters are really well developed and the writing is excellent. However, there is quite a bit of violence and language throughout the storyline, so I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who is highly sensitive to those kinds of issues. It is, after all, a zombie book.
3 people found this helpful
on June 15, 2012
I love the Walking Dead graphic novels. I have ready every one of them probably a dozen times each. I also watch the show religiously. However, my fanaticism has limits and The Rise of the Governor pushed those limits. I think that the focus on a 4 central characters with little diversion was a poor choice given the fact that the 4 characters are almost always at the same place at the same time. This made it difficult to care about other people they encounter on their journey.

(If you haven't read the comics, this is a SPOILER ALERT!)

Having read the comic, I already knew the little girl was going to become a walker at some point in the story. So the build up to that moment was actually very suspenseful because every time the group was in danger I would ask myself, "is this it??" And thankfully, the payoff for both this arc as well as the conclusion to the book are both very well executed. However, unlike the characters we know from the comics, I didn't feel any sort of attachment to the 4 principle characters in ROTG. They were all one-dimensional (little girl is sweet and innocent, the brothers are polar opposites, the friend is a Jesus-freak) and never diverted from these personalities at all. What makes Rick such a bold character in the comics is that he is not always "the good guy." He has layers to his personality that make you both love and hate him interchangeably. These characters didn't make me feel anything because you couldn't really look at them as individuals. And as a group, they were boring and predictable as well.

What makes this book good is the ending. When you see all the pieces tie together, it is really cool. So while I probably wouldn't read this story again, I'm really glad I read it once. If you're into the series or the show, it's worth your time.
One person found this helpful
on February 14, 2014
so I read the road to Woodbury first thinking it came first in the series, this one I read second, and the road to wood bury was amazing but this one is just wayyyy better in every way. the ending twist I did not expect, even after reading the road to Woodbury first. so that was a good surprise, since the first page I was hooked, I don't think any book has hooked me as much as this one did, although yes I love the comics and tv show, and overall aspect of the zombie themed story, but still despite all that, if I had never heard of the tv sow or comics before this book I would of still been so hooked, normally I take forever to go through a book, because Im not much of a reader, but this one I could not put down and finished it in 3 days, I read a few hours every night before bed, I stayed up later than my bedtime just to be able to read more of this book, again I couldn't put it down, the story is well written and better than the road to woodbury. cant wait to read the fall of the governor part 1. wonder if it will be as good as this one.
on June 18, 2012
This is a great back story on one of the most well-known villains in The Walking Dead series. I highly recommend that you read the comics first before reading this novel, at least through the books that contain the Governor. The only reason I didn't rate this book five stars was a few small inaccuracies in the book, nothing that affects the story, but I would to have not liked seeing them.

**SPOILER ALERT**

This book is the story of how a mostly normal family tries to survive post-zombie outbreak. As most can imagine tragedy strikes at every corner and it transforms the characters into "other" people. A meager man, Brian Blake, transforms into what he believes is the man he needs to be in order to lead others and survive in a new world. The transformation is slow and really only happens when he has no other options left.

If you have read the comics then this novel takes place just as "Philip" Blake begins his reign over Woodbury. It is a great set up for the next novel, and I am anxious to read it as well.

Overall I recommend this book, but if you happen to catch it on sale then even better. I am a zombie fan and this is good novel for much more than the zombie content. Just as in the T.V. show you get hooked on the human content.
One person found this helpful
on July 26, 2012
The popularity of the Walking Dead seems to partly be around the fact that there are so many characters, which gives the series a prime opportunity to cross away from the main comic, and into the territory of different mediums, including this novel which is the first of a series that will occasionally collide with the main story.

This novel itself follows a certain character that shows up in the comic as a fairly one dimensional character yet this story gives the character an interesting background and progression to what they become in the main comic. I found the revelations they give the reader about this character interesting enough that I had to go back to the main comic and re-read quite a few issues to piece together some of this new information. The story also gives light to events that show the beginnings of a pretty key location. While this story can stand on its own, it pretty consistently feels like it's building up to the main comics and other bigger events, some of these events fans have already known about.

The story itself is a pretty light page-turner, with solid descriptions of the settings and events that lead to some very memorable moments. There are only a handful of characters, nearly all of which are likeable and interesting, so readers will get to know them very well, sometimes better than the characters in the comics.

However, I do feel the majority of my enjoyment from this novel came from learning the origins of the one character and then a couple minor references to other things and people already established by the comic. So I'm not sure that a newcomer to The Walking Dead universe will really enjoy this story, it was obviously written for people that were already familiar with The Walking Dead.
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2013
I almost wish I hadn't read this book because now when I watch the show my view of the Governor is skewed to the version in this book. The Governor is perplexing enough in the show, this just makes it worse.

The book starts off really slow and drags A LOT as we are introduced to the man who will become the Governor, his brother, 2 childhood friends and Phillip's daughter. The story begins just 3 days after the outbreak as they are scouring a nice neighborhood in search of shelter and sustenance. They learn to navigate the world as their group is stressed and tested, while trying to protect each other and simply survive. The second half of the book really picks up pace and becomes such that you can't put it down. Much like one of those really good episodes of the show. I found that I was gritting my teeth as I read the book, stressing myself out about the direction the story was headed and what would happen.