Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 235 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 264 reviews
on December 10, 2014
THE WALKING DEAD Vol. 17: Something to Fear (issues 97-102 of the monthly series) and all I have to say is WHAT!?!?!!?

I know main characters come and go in this book and we’ve seen the deaths of some beloved characters, and while I was shocked at the first death of a minor/major character, the second death of a MAJOR character in this book floored me.

How could he?

Sigh.

So Rick and company have met up with the folks at the Hilltop community and have worked out a trade agreement. The Hilltop supplies Alexandria with food to get them through the winter and in return Rick and the rest of the Alexandrians will protect the Hilltop from Negan and the Saviors, a band of survivors who’ve come together and are strong-arming the other neighboring communities by offering “protection” (from the Saviors) in return for half of everything.

But when Negan’s goons stop Rick and Co. on the road back home and make the same threat, Rick and Co. don’t bow down so quickly. They do allow one of Negan’s men to escape, though, and relay the message: “I’m told Negan is running some kind of protection racket. Well, clearly--we don’t need any protection. Effective immediately we’re taking over the protection of the Hilltop. You get NOTHING. Understand? Pass that along to Negan. Also, while you’re at it, we’ll offer you the same deal you offered the Hilltop. Half of your supplies…and we’ll protect you.”

It’s one of Rick’s biggest FK YEAH moments of the series, solidifies him as a rock solid badass, and also makes things go very very VERY bad for everyone involved. What he didn’t know was that Negan and the Saviors aren’t some fly-by-night ragtag band of street toughs. The Saviors are 100 strong, at least. And when they mount a two-pronged attack, Rick realizes just how outmatched he is.

You know, I liked this book from the beginning, but these later volumes are just addictive. Kirkman has really made leaps and bounds in the drama and characterization. It’s getting harder and harder, in fact, to stop long enough to review each volume before moving onto the next. I find myself constantly thinking, “Well, I don’t HAVE to review EVERY volume, I could move on to the next and just stop reviewing. Who’s gonna notice?”

I’d notice. And I can’t have that, so I review on. But, yeah, as good as the book has been lately, as tough as Rick has been, as cohesive as the group as a whole has been, I just want to keep reading.

However, if the TV show plays out anything like what happened in this volume, I’m going to be one very unhappy viewer!

Charlie Adlard is also making great strides here, expressing a ton of information with a simple gesture or facial expression. The confrontation with Negan and his men on the road to the Hilltop is one of the best 22-page spreads I’ve seen, probably ever.

If you haven’t been reading THE WALKING DEAD, you’re only doing yourself a disservice, not because the book will change your life or anything, but because you can’t work yourself up to these last few volumes, and they are simply outstanding lately. On to the next one!

Previously on THE WALKING DEAD:
THE WALKING DEAD 14: No Way Out:
THE WALKING DEAD 15: We Find Ourselves:
THE WALKING DEAD 16: A Larger World:
on March 14, 2016
I've purchased all volumes up to 22 and the TV show has just about caught up to wear I am in the novels. These books are friggen awesome. I don't read much and my buddy lent me VOL 1 after he knew I liked the show. Well, I burned through the first one and then just went on a tear buying 4 volumes at a time...the price is pretty good for what you get out of these. $9-$15 is the range I've paid per novel, I'm not sure why they aren't the same but anyways, I keep buying them none the less. The story was written before the TV Show and the show follows the story but there is some differences. The written story is more violent and graphic then the tv show but the tv show does a decent job of sticking with main ideas. I've noticed that certain plot things that happen in the book also happen in the show but there is a unique twist like a different character it happens to or something like that. Which makes reading these volumes great cuz I have some idea of where the story is going (after having watched all tv episodes) but there are still surprises. If you like the TV show and haven't read these, give it a try and you will get a whole new experience of the Walking Dead story. I'm putting this same review under every volume I've purchased (1-22) so people can see it. go buy these!
on July 4, 2016
Rick and his group confront the Hilltop Colony's enemy, The Saviors, a group of brutal people led by a man named Negan. However, Rick severely underestimates The Saviors and does not take them seriously as something to be feared until some of his best friends begin dying in brutally savage ways. In the end, Rick is forced into an ultimatum that puts the lives of everyone in Alexandria on the line.
on December 24, 2016
I started with binge watching the AMC show, and then went and read all the comics to date. They are both really good. Obviously the comic moves much faster. If you asked me to pick which is better, it's close, but I would go with the show. The only reason is that it spends much more time developing the characters. When someone dies in the comic there isn't the emotion that goes with losing a main character on the show. Having said that, the comics are addictive. I should have just bought them all up front. As soon as I finished one, I would always buy the next.
Collecting: The Walking Dead #97-102

Rick's survivors and some allies find themselves up against a force worse than zombies, worse even than the Governor: Negan and what appears to be an army of people bent on exacting tribute from other survivors. The Darwinian logic that has whittled down the cast in this series has increased the pressure to survive or get of the way.

If you're new to the series, this novel will be tour-de-force of post-apocalyptic tension. Relationships are fleeting and death is around every corner. There are only a handful of main characters to keep track of, so I believe it will be very accessible. That said, The Walking Dead feels past its prime. If you have followed the series for some time, there is very little new tension here. Hope is offered to readers one more time at the end of the novel. I find myself pulling for Rick (still), but I also feel that the series is very much in danger of falling into a trap where it becomes a new way to sadistically torture increasingly stereotypical characters.

For this reader, I am still emotionally invested in the series. I held on tight between pages as the action unfolded, and I am counting down days until the next graphic novel comes out (see The Walking Dead, Vol. 18 ) so it was a great value and a great deal of fun to read. But I am beginning to become concerned because I feel a trajectory of hope and punishment becoming established without any direction for the plot.
on January 2, 2013
After I got done reading this volume it just left me in awe, and cannot wait for volume 18 to come out!! Very exciting!!

I'll admit the some of the volume before this were a little slow, but you need that in stories especially one that is like this. If everything thing was exciting all the time it just wouldn't work. Kirkman does an excellent job on the dynamics of the story. At slow times in the story is when you learn most about the characters and the story.

If you read some reviews they will say the story is repetitive. I will agree with that, but it does not hinder the story any. I mean its the Zombie Apocalypse of course they are going to be searching for food, water, shelter, ammo, etc. all the time that is their life now!

For those who say that this comic is just going to get worse, I disagree. With TWD being a show now I believe Kirkman will be working with people that will give him ideas to help TWD grow more and develop more. I mean he is working with the executive producer of the show Lost and that show was absolutely brilliant in every way!!

And for those that say Negan is like the Governor, I agree and disagree! Its been awhile since we had a major antagonist and we needed one soon, and that is what makes it a great story. In my opinion Negan is gong to be ten times worse you can just tell. The guy is just nuts. You could tell the Governor had a little bit of humanity in him this guy doesn't!

And Rick is developing more as a leader and becoming more confident in the way he leads which could benefit him or hurt him either way it will help the story expand more.
on December 7, 2012
Definitely a heart-racing suspense/action piece in the TWD series. It pained me to read through the whole volume, and yet I was unable to stop.

This new enemy is much more cunning and fearsome than Rick and company has ever faced. As the previous volume suggested with Rick's interactions at the Hilltop, this new enemy's decisions to kill are less about short-term survival like was with the Govenor and more about intimidation and coercion for long term survivability, which introduces a whole new level of cunning and fearsomeness in villiany (compared to the Govenor).

This volume totally took me by surprise over the raw in-your-face violence that the characters experience. I was so taken aback I found myself utterly sucked into the scenes. It makes me think back to everything Rick and Co. has endured thus far and how TWD continues to provide insight to how people become in a world without Order. I don'think Kirkman strays far from the mark in this volume.

I think this volume speaks clearly to the kind of people that remain a few years after the world gets turned upside down - From the folks at the Hilltop, Alexandria, and the mysterious new threat. Enjoy the volume - you will be in for a treat, if not shocked! I'm already imagining what's in store for the next one.
on December 19, 2012
As other reviews note, this installment delivers. At times, it seemed like Kirkman himself was speaking via Negan's character to some fans' complaints about the series going stale/rehashing old territory. To the contrary, this sets a new, more viscious tone for the series; the ending, once again, left me wanting more (dern you Kirkman, lol). What happened in this volume -- no spoilers, you'll need to read it -- created lots of space for character development and conflict. The fact that Kirkman and Adlard still deliver exciting stories after 100 issues is nothing sort of amazing. Their work on the Walking Dead is the best long-term run/on-going comic book collaboration ever (even better than Lee-Kirby's seminal run on FF). Definitely start at the beginning with the hardcovers or Omnibus editions if you've just found the comic due to the TV series. Highly recommended, but not for the faint of heart.
on August 18, 2015
This series is awesome and a must read. I highly recommend it.

I ordered 3 of these from the same seller and they all came in excellent condition. Thanks!
on May 25, 2017
Great product! I love it!