Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,959 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,597 reviews
on September 3, 2015
I watch the show and I heard the comics were a bit different, so I decided I should read them. So far, I'm enjoying it until I just about reached the halfway point. There about 20 pages that looks like they ran out of ink when they were printing. THIS SUCKS!! I missing major parts and I think someone died during the faded pages....

Do they not have people for quality control? Sigh...
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2015
Disclosure: I saw the show first, but am a long time comic/g.n. reader from childhood/teen years and recently back into it after many years away.

The last chapter or two of the book were the best to me in terms of wanting to keep reading. The first half didn't get me that excited. Overall the story was pretty good and I'd probably give that 4 stars.

The art took away from it and almost made me give this 2 stars. The first chapter art was alright, but after that I was disappointed. There were a few sets of characters that I sometimes had quite a hard time telling apart and was only able to by the context of the dialogue. (Dale and Hershel were the worst) This is pretty frustrating when trying to keep up a suspension of disbelief.

It's great that it differs so much from the show, so it is fresh in terms of the surprises you'll get. The end leaves me wanting to know what happens next, but I have to decide if it is worth it knowing that the art isn't impressive. The next book will probably be low on my wish list for that reason.
on October 13, 2015
This entire compendium is a steal. It's highway robbery and we are ALL committing the crime but it's fine, because this is what they wanted. This compendium alone save you more than $60 worst( probably more) and it only cost $36.00?(at least at the time I bought it) That alone is enough of a reason to buy. So much content for so little money, as is the case with the rest of the compendiums.

I'm going to try stray away from as much spoilers as possible but excuse me now if i happen to spoil anything.
This series continues to be fantastic. Characters gets more developed, stories get more wilder, and villains get maniacal. This new guy Negan, believe me when I say this (do not underestimate me) you are going to HATE this guy with every atom in your body. Every cell will yearn with anger. If you hated the Governor for any reason what so ever and couldn't him in the slightest bit, maybe you might not want to read this compendium after all. Negan is vile, evil, horrible, any synonym that derives from bad, he is that and so much more. There are times I wanted to rip out pages just because I didn't want his drawings there. When they put his character on the show, they are going to tone him down levels that weren't even known to be possible. Seriously, half his dialogue is F-bombs, the show probably begin to stray far away at this point in the comics more than it has even done. Makes me wish the show was on HBO instead of AMC.
There are going to character deaths that are going to upset you, I'm warning you right now (I don't consider this a spoiler, considering this is TWD and nobody is safe, so you already knew this was coming) I say this now, don't get attached to anyone, because nobody is safe after this. You might even hate Kirkman for what he has done. He is going to test your emotional limits and I tell you this now, you might not be able to handle it.
New characters get introduced, as is with TWD, some lovable, some dreadful. My favorite is still Paul Jesus Monroe and yes, I know, he got introduced into the end of the second compendium, but he develops into a much better character at the end of all this.

In all honesty, I could sit here and write everything I feel about the TWD and this compendium and what the story has become so far, I could write 20 essays but I think there is limit to how much you can right on an amazon review, or maybe there isn't, who knows. I'm just trying to stray from spoilers as much as I can to let you enjoy it as much as possible.
Regardless, if you love the world of TWD,and have made it this far, you are probably going to make it to the of this end as well. It's going to be another journey just like the first two. There will be ups and downs and moments of serious agonizing torment but you will get through this and you will throughly enjoy this. You have my word

And if not, you can just beat me over the head with Lucille.
77 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2017
I got the kindle version and it was hard to read the larger panels on my small phone screen. It was perfectly fine on a larger tablet.

If you are a fan of the show and haven't read this, I will warn you that there are substantial differences. It is as if a drunk person explained the plot of the comic books to the screenwriter in a loud bar, and them the screenwriter wrote the show from memory a month later. This is to say that the 'highlights' from the comics made it to the show, but it is still a different story.

People are on here trying to review this with deep literary analysis techniques, as if this were Shakespear or Proust or something. This is a comic about zombies. There are many like it, but this is the best one.

If you like the show, you will like the comics. I promise. They complement each other, but are different enough to warrant spending time on both.
on November 7, 2016
Like a fine, fine, wine TWD just keeps getting better and better with age! Another amazing volume in beautiful hardcover with all the extras and covers included as well!
on August 3, 2012
I missed the Walking Dead when the comic first came out. I am definitely a comic book fan, but black and white comics always turn me off.

I guess that's my loss.

I also missed out on the first season of the walking dead. I started watching it on Netflix and watched all of season 1 in one night!

That being said, I had to catch up on the comics.

So, I ordered the Compendium. The thing is as thick as a telephone book and is a little awkward to read. But it's the best and cheapest way, especially if you buy it on Amazon, to catch up on the comic.

The tv show and the comic are really two different takes on the same characters. Rick Grimes is still the main guy, but there are differences in characters and different characters. It's really great to see the way that some of these characters react to different situations.

If you are a fan of the tv show, then you will be a fan of this comic book. It's written by Robert Kirkman who is the main writer on the tv show. The tension is still there, the relationships are still there, and the action is still there. But be warned, it's bloody! Oh and nobody is safe in this book. Anybody can die at any time. You won't believe who dies who lives, and the relationships that are formed, or destroyed because of these developments.

So, if you are a fan of the show, you need to get this book. If you are too "cool" to read comics, then you will just have to read this in your bedroom because you can't miss this take on the characters. Easily one of the best comics boo..... No make that books that I have read in a long time!
on November 5, 2016
In simple words.... It keeps getting better and the twist is amazingly shocking and intriguing due to the repercussions of it.
on April 27, 2016
This book is super heavy! lol i don't even think my harry potter book was this heavy. Seriously, this book weighs like a brick and feels solid in the sense it is indestructible like a nokia phone lol i guess this book weighs heavy because of all the tragedy it holds within!

The book arrived to me with a torn and bent cover, but that's not so much my concern, as long as there are no ruined or missing pages. Shipping came on time i suppose. there was a little tracking issue where they said the item was delivered but really wasn't. Anyway! I love TWD show so I've always wanted to read the comic, especially with the intro of neegan this season, i just HAD to know what happens next. So I've been reading the comic from a crappy website but now i have access to issues 94-144 and i couldn't be any less happier. But with the size of this godly book, it feels like there's a whole lot more than just those issues.

The story is great! since issue 1, it only got better. having a collection of chapters is like reading 1 long book which is great. ill probably wait for the next compendium instead of buying single issues. The price for this was great. I remember wanting the 1st 2 compendiums and i believe they were $50.

There's not much to review upon without spoiling the story so I'm just gonna end my review here with a JUST BUY IT and READ it! Because, this IS worth the buy. I'm already half way through the book like 10minutes in. I can't stop reading, i want to know more and already I'm hating kirkman for the freakin deaths of people i loved seeing in the story. But, that's what keeps the story rolling.

Story aside, great art! I really loved the gorey detail and negan's group--really frightening!
on March 3, 2017
Absolutely does not ruin the show at all. If anything, it enhances the show. I own all three (3) books, and they are all BEAUTIFUL. beautiful to read, beautiful to look at and beautiful to display. Can't put them down! This may actually be a couple notches better than the TV series... And I am a huge fan of the show.... HUGE. You would not be disappointed if you bought this. (set)
on November 7, 2015
I'm a huge fan of TWD, originally got hooked through AMC's adaptation of the graphic novel and always wanted to go to the source material. What I love about this product vs either the compendium, volumes, or individual comics is that the books are hardcover, and slightly larger than the other versions. The compendium seemed a little to bulky and lengthy. Each book has a different color (Book 1 is red, Book 2 is blue, and so forth) which makes a collected set really stand out!

From what I've read so far, the dialog by Kirkman is a little basic but I am drawn more to Moore and Adlard's artwork. Landscapes, walkers, and character's facial expressions are all expertly penciled. The detail in all of the frames is amazing and I find myself staring at the full page drawings. Another nice point is the sketchbook at the end of the book which has full page color sketches that are stunning!

I cannot wait to have the full collection!!!