Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 5,070 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,733 reviews
on September 3, 2015
I watch the show and I heard the comics were a bit different, so I decided I should read them. So far, I'm enjoying it until I just about reached the halfway point. There about 20 pages that looks like they ran out of ink when they were printing. THIS SUCKS!! I missing major parts and I think someone died during the faded pages....

Do they not have people for quality control? Sigh...
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 284 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2016
This book is huge! I did not realize it would be this big and heavy. I originally thought I would take it out by the pool to read this summer but it will stay near the couch on the coffee table. It is very nice to have so many issues bound together in a hard bound book. I am excited to start reading as my children talk about how the comics differ from the tv show. One of my children attended walked stalker con and got to meet many of the shows stars.
review image review image
on April 8, 2016
It is a great story and I just ordered the second compendium a few minutes ago. It is way different than the show, which I really loved, and the artwork and dialog, as well as the story and characters were all done so well and everything was very interesting and kept me reading. It took me around 8 hours to read since I am a pretty slow reader, and I enjoyed taking my time through it and looking at the artwork. I know I am pretty late on starting the comic series, but if you haven't started already, I highly recommend you do, if you are a fan of the show. I only came across one issue in the dialog, where the ink must of got smeared and it kind of made it hard to read a sentence, but this didn't bother me too much.
on October 21, 2015
The Walking Dead, Compendium 3 collects comics #97-144, the same comics collected in volumes 17-24. As you can see, it’s quite a bit fatter than the first and second compendiums, despite collecting the same number of volumes.

MILD SPOILERS THROUGHOUT

It’s impossible to discuss almost 50 issues without getting just a little spoilery. I promise I won’t give away any more than necessary. Three is the best of the compendiums. Compendium One was frequently The Walking Dead at its best but a little uneven. Compendium Two suffered from The Walking Dead’s long post-Governor malaise. The Walking Dead has always been better with a villainous focus. It is, after all, at its core about the human heart in conflict with another human heart (which is slightly more Faulknerian than the human heart in conflict with the zombie heart). Or at least that is where it is most effective. The Walking Dead certainly isn’t, to my chagrin, about a fight against nature for survival (but put us city boys in the woods with no one to hand us food and we’d struggle mightily). The human heart in conflict with itself stuff is often very good in isolation, but it has never managed to give the story the same narrative force as squaring off against a big foe.

Compendium Three picks up shortly after the introduction of the Saviors and introduces Negan (and Lucille), who makes the Governor look like a pansy (and has a better sense of humor). Thus begins a conflict that will span most of the compendium and get very, very bloody. It’s the first compendium set in “civilization,” with the main characters never wandering without a base. It appears at this point that we have permanent communities. It also features a long jump in time (roughly two years later). The comic finally admits to the realities of time. The survivors are now riding horses and have settled into a quasi-normal life. This, and the compendium, last just long enough to set up a new grand foe.
on March 14, 2016
I've purchased all volumes up to 22 and the TV show has just about caught up to wear I am in the novels. These books are friggen awesome. I don't read much and my buddy lent me VOL 1 after he knew I liked the show. Well, I burned through the first one and then just went on a tear buying 4 volumes at a time...the price is pretty good for what you get out of these. $9-$15 is the range I've paid per novel, I'm not sure why they aren't the same but anyways, I keep buying them none the less. The story was written before the TV Show and the show follows the story but there is some differences. The written story is more violent and graphic then the tv show but the tv show does a decent job of sticking with main ideas. I've noticed that certain plot things that happen in the book also happen in the show but there is a unique twist like a different character it happens to or something like that. Which makes reading these volumes great cuz I have some idea of where the story is going (after having watched all tv episodes) but there are still surprises. If you like the TV show and haven't read these, give it a try and you will get a whole new experience of the Walking Dead story. I'm putting this same review under every volume I've purchased (1-22) so people can see it. go buy these!
on March 14, 2016
on August 3, 2015
Hubby loves the walking dead and was wasting money paying a premium at the local store so I decided to get him the next 2 books int he collection for cheaper here. For the price these are a great catch.

I ordered the 14 and 15. The 14 came perfect but the 15 had a small imperfection int he corner where it was bent a bit. Hubby didn't seem to mind so I didn't contact the seller. Plus the other came perfect so I assumed it was a fluke.

Hubby is happily devouring them and I expect to order more soon.
on January 8, 2016
Excellent Book!
review image review image review image review image
on September 28, 2014
Where the infamous saga begins. This is a book heavy on story, but thin on execution, unlike the AMC series, which takes the idea and runs down the field with it. It's a zombie/post-apocalypse tale, but with a twist: the drama is treated seriously, not just as horror (although there are plenty of scares included). Think of an expanded version of Romero's original vision of a nightmare living-dead world, where survivors have to contend with themselves as well the monsters outside...

It's a great story, good characters, good dialogue, nice pacing. Too bad that for the most part, it looks like garbage. Sorry, but it does. Aside from pivotal scenes, and the cover art, most of it is just plain poorly drawn. The intial setup (Rick waking up from a coma) looks kind of nice, but the rest goes downhill. The artists seem to have particular trouble with crowd scenes -- no, not fun.

Book One takes us from Rick's coma to the discovery of the prison, so if you like the AMC show and are interested in where the ideas came from, here they are. Well, most of them, anyway. Buy this book.

More things to like here: psychologically deep characters, with plenty of secrets. No-holds-barred sex, violence, and language. No one is safe from issue to issue (not even Rick? not even Rick, is seems).

More things to dislike: poor emphasis in dialogue clouds. No emphasis is better than emphasizing the wrong word or phrase; often, to read this book the way it is written is like listening to a really bad actor rehearsing really good lines.

Again, the art. The more complex a scene is, the worse it looks: particularly aggravating is when the cast is drawn as shapeless lumps and blocks, like a hastily-made sketch.

Overall though,, a good read, and interesting for its place in the history of the AMC show. But disappointing visually.
VINE VOICEon April 2, 2012
I recently found out about this book after watching the season finale of Walking Dead on AMC. Wow!! I love the book! The series is so much like the book only it is expanded and not much has changed from the storyline.

Great story and I can't wait to read the rest of the books. The only problem I had with the book is that it took me a while to read in comic book format as I havent' read a comic book since I was a kid. But once I got used to it and looked at the pics it became easier to understand and read.

The whole Walking Dead storyline is so amazing and so realistic for this day in age. Yes it does have it's gore and violence but it is appropriate for this type of book. After all it is about zombies and the survivors of the zombie invasion. It doesn't get much better than this.