Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,844 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,068 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 21, 2015
Ok... I am a walking dead TV show fan. Have watched all along and had never, before now, seen the comic. I took the "bait" and tried this one (#1)... good marketing idea really... cause now I HAVE to get the rest. If you're a dead fan you'll love them. Wasn't sure I would like the "comic" book thing, but honestly it's awesome. Especially if you were into them as a kid... I used read the vampire, werewolf, etc... type. Not a fan of the "super hero" variety. These really are fun and interesting even if you've already seen the TV show. I was surprised. I say, try one.
on February 16, 2016
This was a gift for a nephew who loved the series on TV. So I thought he would like this. I didn't read it, so I don't know if there is any sexual content. I'm sure there is violence in it. I would find it odd if there wasn't based on the type of comics it is. My son has read them and he said there was violence that was graphic, and no sexual content. He thinks it is a gift that is appropriate for my nephew who loves the series. Because the TV series doesn't follow the comics exactly it should make it interesting to read, to see where it differs.
on July 4, 2016
"An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living."

This is where it all started and if you are a fan of the show then you owe it to yourself to check out the source material! It's great to see the changes between each.
on June 7, 2016
Man, I love the Walking Dead. Like I really love this world that is constantly terrifying and depressing me, a world full of fighting and struggle, more than I can say. Because the true message of the Walking Dead is hope--headstrong, determined hope. I have been an avid fan of the show for years, and so I felt the absolute need to start reading the comics when this past season came to an end. And I'm so glad I gave it a shot! This comic has incredible writing and style. Each page feels like a masterpiece, and it would have to be to lend beauty to the ugly world of a post-apocalyptic zombie-riddled Earth. My only difficulty with this comic is that I finished it in just over an hour because I couldn't put it down! Next time, I'll be sure to get the Compendiums, since they include a bunch of the comic issues bound together. However, if you are like me, and this is your first journey into the world of comics, this one issue is a great place to start and decide if you want to continue. It showed me that I can definitely love comics and I'm in this journey for the long-haul, just like Rick and the Walking Dead crew.
on July 3, 2017
I have used my go to theory and try to watch the series or movie first. This saves me much disappointment when the book is much better than the "Hollywood" version. I don't know if it will work when the written source is as sparse as a comic book ! This first volume gave minimal details and I really appreciated the expansion and embellishments of the TV series. We will see if this trend continues with further volumes!
on July 18, 2016
I love the walking dead, so clearly I have a bias but I was so glad I picked this up. It is different from the show , but the books precede this I'm sure its fine. It was really great to see the artwork and the style that inspired the shows direction. Certainly a lot more fast paced then the show. I wouldn't go into to much detail about the plot because its an easy enough read that anyone who picks this up will be able to get the gist quickly and people should just read this. I am so ready to jump into the rest of the series because of this book! The only issue I have is they dont come out with more comics more often!
on January 20, 2016
I'm a huge fan of the TV series, just now starting to read the comics. Got #1 for free and loved it, so my fiance went and bought me the 1st compendium that has 1-48 and I read a bit every night. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading this comic series, but now I see why it is so popular. Definitely worth giving a try even if you aren't a comic book or zombie fan. Great character development and most importantly great story lines.
on March 22, 2017
Normally I wasn't a fan of the comic book series until I saw the television show back in 2011. Since it was so addicting I couldn't stop watching it. Eventually I found myself curious about the comic book that started it all. Maybe its not too late to be a fan of the comics.
on March 26, 2017
Awesome ☺☺😊😊 the storyline is great, love the characters. We need Daryl tho. Also rick looks different from the other comics.😕
on May 9, 2013
The grain of salt to take with this review is that I'm familiar with only one other graphic novel. I've watched and enjoyed some of the movie adaptations, so I decided to go back and read Watchmen. I loved that novel besides the ending, so I decided my next experiment would be reading The Walking Dead.

Honestly, the writing is kind of bad. It feels like the author would only write about Rick Grimes if he could because every other character is very stock at best or just a prop for Rick at worst. I would expect that a novel that wants to take a "Lord of the Flies" spin on zombie lit would spend more time exploring realistic grief over the loss of loved ones and society itself, but most of the characters seem to shrug it off like in any B zombie movie. Almost any personality or animation from the characters is between that character and Rick.

I don't think the graphic art is bad, but it doesn't have very much shading which leaves it looking pretty flat. I would say it reminds me a lot of a movie storyboard to be used as a rough guide for filmmakers or for zombie concepts for makeup artists.

I'm going to give Vol2 the old college try, but at $9 a vol I don't feel even remotely willing to trudge through all of it.