Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,818 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,034 reviews
on April 25, 2016
As someone who is getting into the comics AFTER becoming a fan of the TWD show, this is a pretty good read. There were a few twists overall so far, but it was pretty much on pace with the first season.
Also, my 10 year old is reading this too. So if you are a parent who has a younger fan of the show, in my opinion, this is okay for them to read. It is in black and white and things are "implied" so other than some language, it's fine.
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2014
I'm a big fan of the tv show, The Walking Dead, so I was curious to see how the comics are. So far, from reading this first comic, the show stays pretty close to it. This first installment ends with Shane's death and if I remember correctly, that was how season 2 of the tv show ended. There's a few characters in the comic that aren't in the tv series, but from what I see the show pretty much follows the comic. So far, anyway because I have heard the two are different.

However, I think the tv show and the actors truly bring these characters to life. Rick Grimes is one of my favorite characters, ever, and to see his character change over these four seasons has really been one of my favorite aspects of the story. Actor Andrew Lincoln is truly wonderful in this role and does an amazing job. Creator Robert Kirkman promises that we will know what happens to Rick in the end, there will be no wondering.

I think the comics are a nice complimentary reading for fans of The Walking Dead series. The illustrations are pretty neat, I like how they capture the grim reality of what is going on in this post apocalyptic world. I'm a fan of zombie stories because I feel like it's interesting to see what such a world can do to people, and how it can change them. The zombies aren't the scariest part, the people are. It's human nature to want to survive, but at what cost?

Robert Kirkman paints a dark and difficult new world here in a realistic and intriguing way. What I really want to get my hands on are the Walking Dead books, starting with the The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, also written by Kirkman.

disclaimer:
This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye.
on February 16, 2016
This was a gift for a nephew who loved the series on TV. So I thought he would like this. I didn't read it, so I don't know if there is any sexual content. I'm sure there is violence in it. I would find it odd if there wasn't based on the type of comics it is. My son has read them and he said there was violence that was graphic, and no sexual content. He thinks it is a gift that is appropriate for my nephew who loves the series. Because the TV series doesn't follow the comics exactly it should make it interesting to read, to see where it differs.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 21, 2015
Ok... I am a walking dead TV show fan. Have watched all along and had never, before now, seen the comic. I took the "bait" and tried this one (#1)... good marketing idea really... cause now I HAVE to get the rest. If you're a dead fan you'll love them. Wasn't sure I would like the "comic" book thing, but honestly it's awesome. Especially if you were into them as a kid... I used read the vampire, werewolf, etc... type. Not a fan of the "super hero" variety. These really are fun and interesting even if you've already seen the TV show. I was surprised. I say, try one.
on June 7, 2016
Man, I love the Walking Dead. Like I really love this world that is constantly terrifying and depressing me, a world full of fighting and struggle, more than I can say. Because the true message of the Walking Dead is hope--headstrong, determined hope. I have been an avid fan of the show for years, and so I felt the absolute need to start reading the comics when this past season came to an end. And I'm so glad I gave it a shot! This comic has incredible writing and style. Each page feels like a masterpiece, and it would have to be to lend beauty to the ugly world of a post-apocalyptic zombie-riddled Earth. My only difficulty with this comic is that I finished it in just over an hour because I couldn't put it down! Next time, I'll be sure to get the Compendiums, since they include a bunch of the comic issues bound together. However, if you are like me, and this is your first journey into the world of comics, this one issue is a great place to start and decide if you want to continue. It showed me that I can definitely love comics and I'm in this journey for the long-haul, just like Rick and the Walking Dead crew.
on July 18, 2016
I love the walking dead, so clearly I have a bias but I was so glad I picked this up. It is different from the show , but the books precede this I'm sure its fine. It was really great to see the artwork and the style that inspired the shows direction. Certainly a lot more fast paced then the show. I wouldn't go into to much detail about the plot because its an easy enough read that anyone who picks this up will be able to get the gist quickly and people should just read this. I am so ready to jump into the rest of the series because of this book! The only issue I have is they dont come out with more comics more often!
on January 20, 2016
I'm a huge fan of the TV series, just now starting to read the comics. Got #1 for free and loved it, so my fiance went and bought me the 1st compendium that has 1-48 and I read a bit every night. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading this comic series, but now I see why it is so popular. Definitely worth giving a try even if you aren't a comic book or zombie fan. Great character development and most importantly great story lines.
on March 22, 2017
Normally I wasn't a fan of the comic book series until I saw the television show back in 2011. Since it was so addicting I couldn't stop watching it. Eventually I found myself curious about the comic book that started it all. Maybe its not too late to be a fan of the comics.
on July 4, 2016
"An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living."

This is where it all started and if you are a fan of the show then you owe it to yourself to check out the source material! It's great to see the changes between each.
on May 9, 2013
The grain of salt to take with this review is that I'm familiar with only one other graphic novel. I've watched and enjoyed some of the movie adaptations, so I decided to go back and read Watchmen. I loved that novel besides the ending, so I decided my next experiment would be reading The Walking Dead.

Honestly, the writing is kind of bad. It feels like the author would only write about Rick Grimes if he could because every other character is very stock at best or just a prop for Rick at worst. I would expect that a novel that wants to take a "Lord of the Flies" spin on zombie lit would spend more time exploring realistic grief over the loss of loved ones and society itself, but most of the characters seem to shrug it off like in any B zombie movie. Almost any personality or animation from the characters is between that character and Rick.

I don't think the graphic art is bad, but it doesn't have very much shading which leaves it looking pretty flat. I would say it reminds me a lot of a movie storyboard to be used as a rough guide for filmmakers or for zombie concepts for makeup artists.

I'm going to give Vol2 the old college try, but at $9 a vol I don't feel even remotely willing to trudge through all of it.