Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

VINE VOICEon July 4, 2014
I'm a big fan of the tv show, The Walking Dead, so I was curious to see how the comics are. So far, from reading this first comic, the show stays pretty close to it. This first installment ends with Shane's death and if I remember correctly, that was how season 2 of the tv show ended. There's a few characters in the comic that aren't in the tv series, but from what I see the show pretty much follows the comic. So far, anyway because I have heard the two are different.

However, I think the tv show and the actors truly bring these characters to life. Rick Grimes is one of my favorite characters, ever, and to see his character change over these four seasons has really been one of my favorite aspects of the story. Actor Andrew Lincoln is truly wonderful in this role and does an amazing job. Creator Robert Kirkman promises that we will know what happens to Rick in the end, there will be no wondering.

I think the comics are a nice complimentary reading for fans of The Walking Dead series. The illustrations are pretty neat, I like how they capture the grim reality of what is going on in this post apocalyptic world. I'm a fan of zombie stories because I feel like it's interesting to see what such a world can do to people, and how it can change them. The zombies aren't the scariest part, the people are. It's human nature to want to survive, but at what cost?

Robert Kirkman paints a dark and difficult new world here in a realistic and intriguing way. What I really want to get my hands on are the Walking Dead books, starting with the The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, also written by Kirkman.

disclaimer:
This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye.
5 people found this helpful
on April 26, 2015
WOW!

Have always been a "zombie" fan.
Being a huge fan of the TWD show though...I shied away from the comics. I did not want to get any clues, and wanted to be surprised at every turn. I don't know why I waited so long! LOVED this!

As I read, I kept murmuring, "How pretty!" A strange thing to say about "walkers" "devastation" and "loss" I know. It could not be helped. The drawings are so detailed and simply beautiful! The story, as told through pictures, touched me.

It is a masterpiece that gave birth to another masterpiece (in my honest opinion). It made me an even bigger fan of Mr. Kirkman! I love how he perceives this apocalypse! It is more about the character of a man and the choices a man makes to survive. There may be walkers a foot, but that fact does not change the depth of who a person is. It is just a catalyst to revealing what a person is made of.

Can't wait to read the next!
2 people found this helpful
on July 4, 2016
"An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living."

This is where it all started and if you are a fan of the show then you owe it to yourself to check out the source material! It's great to see the changes between each.
on June 7, 2016
Man, I love the Walking Dead. Like I really love this world that is constantly terrifying and depressing me, a world full of fighting and struggle, more than I can say. Because the true message of the Walking Dead is hope--headstrong, determined hope. I have been an avid fan of the show for years, and so I felt the absolute need to start reading the comics when this past season came to an end. And I'm so glad I gave it a shot! This comic has incredible writing and style. Each page feels like a masterpiece, and it would have to be to lend beauty to the ugly world of a post-apocalyptic zombie-riddled Earth. My only difficulty with this comic is that I finished it in just over an hour because I couldn't put it down! Next time, I'll be sure to get the Compendiums, since they include a bunch of the comic issues bound together. However, if you are like me, and this is your first journey into the world of comics, this one issue is a great place to start and decide if you want to continue. It showed me that I can definitely love comics and I'm in this journey for the long-haul, just like Rick and the Walking Dead crew.
2 people found this helpful
on May 9, 2013
The grain of salt to take with this review is that I'm familiar with only one other graphic novel. I've watched and enjoyed some of the movie adaptations, so I decided to go back and read Watchmen. I loved that novel besides the ending, so I decided my next experiment would be reading The Walking Dead.

Honestly, the writing is kind of bad. It feels like the author would only write about Rick Grimes if he could because every other character is very stock at best or just a prop for Rick at worst. I would expect that a novel that wants to take a "Lord of the Flies" spin on zombie lit would spend more time exploring realistic grief over the loss of loved ones and society itself, but most of the characters seem to shrug it off like in any B zombie movie. Almost any personality or animation from the characters is between that character and Rick.

I don't think the graphic art is bad, but it doesn't have very much shading which leaves it looking pretty flat. I would say it reminds me a lot of a movie storyboard to be used as a rough guide for filmmakers or for zombie concepts for makeup artists.

I'm going to give Vol2 the old college try, but at $9 a vol I don't feel even remotely willing to trudge through all of it.
3 people found this helpful
on July 3, 2017
I have used my go to theory and try to watch the series or movie first. This saves me much disappointment when the book is much better than the "Hollywood" version. I don't know if it will work when the written source is as sparse as a comic book ! This first volume gave minimal details and I really appreciated the expansion and embellishments of the TV series. We will see if this trend continues with further volumes!
on March 27, 2014
The Walking Dead #1 by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore, who provided the Illustrations is a the story that follows most of the narratives within the first few episodes from the first season of the AMC TV show of the same name. This issue is about Rick Grimes who is a Sheriff of a small town in Kentucky who awakes in a hospital after being Comatosed after being shot while on duty. He returns home to find his family, son Carl and wife Lori, gone. He meets his new neighbor, who points him towards Atlanta. Rick then sets off to Atlanta to search for his family. The comic is great and very fast paced. The comic in my opinion is better paced than the TV show. The characters are well fleshed out, parden the pun. You feel for each character and the series connects all of them together beautifully. I enjoyed this comic and would definitely recommend it to others.

Thank you for reading my review.
on January 8, 2014
I was surprised, but not disappointed, by how quickly the story entered the world of the zombie infestation. There was one solitary page that took place during a time before the zombies had taken over, and we immediately flashed forward, trying to figure out, along with the main character, what had become of the world. The story in Volume #1 rarely slowed down, and the ending was shocking. I'm very excited to check out Volume #2.

On a side note, before reading this Volume, I was a little worried about reading a black and white graphic novel. For some reason, lack of color typically gives me a lack of interest. In this care, however, the plot is so compelling that the black and white images didn't detract from the story. Furthermore, based on the amount of graphic violence that takes place in zombie stories, the black and white coloring may actually be a better fit for "The Walking Dead."
VINE VOICEon May 11, 2006
What happens when the world we know is gone, possibly forever, and every day is a constant struggle for survival? Would we still fall in love, write poetry, decorate things, take time to read a book, or make plans for the future? How would a world gone mad affect the contemporary family unit or a religious organization? These are the types of things looked at in detail in "Days Gone Bye", the first volume in the Walking Dead series of graphic novels. Most contemporary media dealing with the subject of the apocalypse focuses on what occurs immediately before or after the great event that ends civilization (in this case, an infestation of zombies taking over the planet). The Walking Dead, however, is more of a long term project, focusing mostly on characterization. While there is certainly both action and horror present, these things are a vehicle to display the characters and how they react to the situations they find themselves in.

The artwork is very good, and a welcome change in a genre that is mostly saturated with Japanese Anime style art. The main artist, Toni Moore, has gotten facial expression down to a science. It is readily apparent when any given character is sad, or joyful, or full of fear. An absolutely priceless facial expression is on the first page, in which an enraged (and probably drunk) escaped convict is screaming about never going back to prison. He has a very "I'm a crazy country bumpkin, don't mess with me or I'll chainsaw you" look about him. My one gripe is really about all graphic novels in general, although it definitely applies here. The use of emphasis on words is always completely off in comics. Either too many words, or the completely wrong words, are bolded (indicating emphasis on that word), which throws off the flow of the dialog.

The story revolves around Rick, a police officer who awakens in a hospital after being shot on duty. The world has somehow become zombie infested, and he's all alone. This chapter of the saga is about Rick's search for his family, and his decisions on what to do next once he does actually find other living people. Several subplots pop up, mostly having to do with the backgrounds of the various minor characters, and hopefully they are explored further later on in the series, as these are all characters you can imagine actually being people you know and care about.

If the first installment is any indication, this series is just going to keep getting better. Highly recommended to fans of zombie mayhem and standard drama fare.
on March 27, 2014
I used to read comics when I was a teen and I grew out of them and into novels. I have occasionally tried to read a comic that looked interesting (From Hell, Fall of Cthulu, Various Starwar comics, Way of the Rat, The Path) and quickly losing interest. After watching The Walking Dead since season 1 and seeing the Walking Dead #1 for Kindle for free, I thought I would take a chance. This series is the first one in years to keep my interest, to keep me wanting more.

I knew that the series differs from the show, which I see as a good thing. The differences all me to have two journeys with Rick and Carl, instead of just one. Some things are the same, but no one ever gets up in arms about the things that are the same, they go apeshit over the differences.