Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

VINE VOICEon July 4, 2014
I'm a big fan of the tv show, The Walking Dead, so I was curious to see how the comics are. So far, from reading this first comic, the show stays pretty close to it. This first installment ends with Shane's death and if I remember correctly, that was how season 2 of the tv show ended. There's a few characters in the comic that aren't in the tv series, but from what I see the show pretty much follows the comic. So far, anyway because I have heard the two are different.

However, I think the tv show and the actors truly bring these characters to life. Rick Grimes is one of my favorite characters, ever, and to see his character change over these four seasons has really been one of my favorite aspects of the story. Actor Andrew Lincoln is truly wonderful in this role and does an amazing job. Creator Robert Kirkman promises that we will know what happens to Rick in the end, there will be no wondering.

I think the comics are a nice complimentary reading for fans of The Walking Dead series. The illustrations are pretty neat, I like how they capture the grim reality of what is going on in this post apocalyptic world. I'm a fan of zombie stories because I feel like it's interesting to see what such a world can do to people, and how it can change them. The zombies aren't the scariest part, the people are. It's human nature to want to survive, but at what cost?

Robert Kirkman paints a dark and difficult new world here in a realistic and intriguing way. What I really want to get my hands on are the Walking Dead books, starting with the The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, also written by Kirkman.

disclaimer:
This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye.
on July 4, 2016
"An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living."

This is where it all started and if you are a fan of the show then you owe it to yourself to check out the source material! It's great to see the changes between each.
on April 26, 2015
WOW!

Have always been a "zombie" fan.
Being a huge fan of the TWD show though...I shied away from the comics. I did not want to get any clues, and wanted to be surprised at every turn. I don't know why I waited so long! LOVED this!

As I read, I kept murmuring, "How pretty!" A strange thing to say about "walkers" "devastation" and "loss" I know. It could not be helped. The drawings are so detailed and simply beautiful! The story, as told through pictures, touched me.

It is a masterpiece that gave birth to another masterpiece (in my honest opinion). It made me an even bigger fan of Mr. Kirkman! I love how he perceives this apocalypse! It is more about the character of a man and the choices a man makes to survive. There may be walkers a foot, but that fact does not change the depth of who a person is. It is just a catalyst to revealing what a person is made of.

Can't wait to read the next!
on June 7, 2016
Man, I love the Walking Dead. Like I really love this world that is constantly terrifying and depressing me, a world full of fighting and struggle, more than I can say. Because the true message of the Walking Dead is hope--headstrong, determined hope. I have been an avid fan of the show for years, and so I felt the absolute need to start reading the comics when this past season came to an end. And I'm so glad I gave it a shot! This comic has incredible writing and style. Each page feels like a masterpiece, and it would have to be to lend beauty to the ugly world of a post-apocalyptic zombie-riddled Earth. My only difficulty with this comic is that I finished it in just over an hour because I couldn't put it down! Next time, I'll be sure to get the Compendiums, since they include a bunch of the comic issues bound together. However, if you are like me, and this is your first journey into the world of comics, this one issue is a great place to start and decide if you want to continue. It showed me that I can definitely love comics and I'm in this journey for the long-haul, just like Rick and the Walking Dead crew.
I'm a huge fan of the TV series, just now starting to read the comics. Got #1 for free and loved it, so my fiance went and bought me the 1st compendium that has 1-48 and I read a bit every night. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading this comic series, but now I see why it is so popular. Definitely worth giving a try even if you aren't a comic book or zombie fan. Great character development and most importantly great story lines.
on March 27, 2014
I used to read comics when I was a teen and I grew out of them and into novels. I have occasionally tried to read a comic that looked interesting (From Hell, Fall of Cthulu, Various Starwar comics, Way of the Rat, The Path) and quickly losing interest. After watching The Walking Dead since season 1 and seeing the Walking Dead #1 for Kindle for free, I thought I would take a chance. This series is the first one in years to keep my interest, to keep me wanting more.

I knew that the series differs from the show, which I see as a good thing. The differences all me to have two journeys with Rick and Carl, instead of just one. Some things are the same, but no one ever gets up in arms about the things that are the same, they go apeshit over the differences.
on May 2, 2007
Ask any given zombie fan what their favorite zombie flick is.
Chances are they'll name something from the Romero catalogue.
Ask the same zombie fan what their favorite zombie book is;
if they have an answer at all, it'll probably be "The Walking Dead"

DO NOT EXPECT A GOREFEST.
Of course there is blood and violence.
But that's not what's at the heart of this ongoing series.
This black & white tale is totally character driven.
You'll love some, and hate others,
but regardless you'll always be sad to see them go.
I laughed, I almost cried (if you have a wife and kids you'll understand)
I flinched, I yelled into the pages.
From soup to nuts, this series has got it all.
Some interesting zombie ideas too(ie: they hunt by scent)

If you call yourself a serious fan of the zombie sub-genre
you need to own this.
Hell, even people who aren't too crazy about zombies should own this.
This isn't just a good zombie series
It's good writing in general
And (dare-I say) possibly the greatest piece of graphic literature put to paper.
Long after you close the back-cover it'll stay with you.
And trust me, you'll be buying the rest of them once you're done.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Individuality is the only thing that separates us from the undead.
33 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This comic was drawn well. It is a bit short, but im guessing so that you end up buying the others. im a big fan of the show. The show has a lot of impact and it is in color. Over all its a good read. if they were longer and in color I would've enjoyed them better.
on March 27, 2016
I love the show and think it is some of the best, sharpest story telling I have encountered anywhere. I am reading the comics to get a feel for the source material. I am not an avid reader of comics, maybe only read a handful in my life. The storytelling in this first comic of the Walking Dead seems simplistic to me. The development on the show is amazing and this pales in comparison to that. Going to keep reading, though because that's how much I love the television version.
on December 26, 2012
I knew nothing about the graphic novel version of The Walking Dead when I began watching the AMC TV version two (?) years ago. I love, love, love the show--it's probably my favorite television program of all time. So now that I'm forever hooked on The Walking Dead and started reading the Rise of the Governor and The Road to Woodbury novels, I decided that I had to see how it all started as a graphic novel. I only have the first volume (for my Kindle), but I'm enjoying it immensely and am planning on buying them all, one after another, until I have read them all. It's fun to compare the TV show with the graphic novel and see how they diverge. If you're a Walking Dead fan and haven't yet read the graphic novel version, I highly recommend it! It's very well done. And who knows? It may just help you survive the zombie apocalypse!