Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 3, 2015
I watch the show and I heard the comics were a bit different, so I decided I should read them. So far, I'm enjoying it until I just about reached the halfway point. There about 20 pages that looks like they ran out of ink when they were printing. THIS SUCKS!! I missing major parts and I think someone died during the faded pages....

Do they not have people for quality control? Sigh...
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
55 comments| 323 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2015
I get excited every year they put another one of the Omnibuses out. The artwork is phenomenal, and the inclusion of additional covers, sketches, and other drawings at the end is a welcomed finish. It is a big heavy book, so definitely designed as a collector's item. Highly recommended.

Update: anyone know if #7 is coming out? These have been perfectly timed in the past to come out around the holidays and this year, nothin.

Update: I contacted a distributor and they said while they don't have an official release date for Omnibus 7, they estimated sometime in July/August 2017
on November 14, 2017
If you love the walking dead comics then this is the book for you. It has all the comic book covers for the issues in the book and it is a hardcover, which is always great. I had never read the comics until my wife asked for this book. Now I cant wait to buy the next one.
on August 15, 2014
This was my very first foray into the world of comic books / graphic novels. I'll admit, it was interest in the AMC series that drew me to the book, as I'd heard there were significant differences and wanted to find out for myself.

Firstly, the artwork is overall fantastic. The illustration is extremely atmospheric, and you will find yourself drawn into the world very quickly. What I found particularly amazing is just how cinematic the book feels. Smash cuts, establishing shots, flowing action, close-ups, you name it, it is very, very cinematic in nature. If anything, it's done just as well if not better than the television show. My only complaint here is that some of the characters are drawn similarly enough that it may be difficult to determine who's talking, but this might just be my untrained eye.

The writing is superb. There is very little of the overt explanatory narrative that seems to pervade many of the other comics I've tried to read. "Show, don't tell" is very much in practice, here, and it works famously. In a word: excellent.

Viewers of the show may be surprised at just how much farther the book goes at times. There were more than a few things happening in the book at which I was surprised, and at least one moment had me open-mouthed and gasping. It's not easy for a book to inspire that kind of reaction for me, so I applaud the author and illustrator alike for such.

This book is extremely hard to put down and is WELL worth the price. I've already ordered the second.
on November 3, 2016
I've been a Walking Dead junkie since it began. The story arcs and development of Rick Grimes as a fictional character are grounded in classic literary fictional tropes. The series does well because I can relate to characters, and I'm constantly putting myself in situations and reflecting on how I would react given certain circumstances. The art is passionately drawn and laid out, and a touch of the artist's emotions come through. The dead are drawn with with an eye for anatomically correct details of decay and rot of tissue.

I encourage everyone who has an interest in the undead to try reading all three compendiums.
on December 23, 2015
Purchased for my son for Christmas and was pretty impressed with the size of this book. It reminds me of old phone books - big, thick, heavy. The graphics are great. I scanned through the book before wrapping it to make sure there were non issues with missing pages or smudged art like other reviewers mentioned, but everything was perfect.
on November 26, 2016
I'm a big fan of the tv series. I'm sure I'll get a couple of eye rolls from the hardcore fans that started reading well before the show came out, but that's okay.

I think the Illustrations are wonderful, though I have some trouble distinguishing between characters every once in a while (probably my problem).

As for the dialogue it's also fantastic, but every once in a while it kind of jumps a bit quick making you reread or getting you lost for a minute until you go back and figure out what happened or missed.

I'll be ordering the next two Compendiums with a smile on my face.
on July 27, 2016
The package was in perfect condition when received. If you like the Walking Dead series you will love adding this compedium to your collect. I have purchased all 3 compediums. The pages are nice sized, easy to read with a lot of details in the pictures. It does have somw strong language in it just so you know in case your buying it as a gift. I'm hopefully they'll come out with the 4th compedium soon.
on January 6, 2016
Ok, I am a huge fan of the show, and I knew this wouldn't be the same as the show - characters and plot lines different. Plus, its a graphic novel, so there are many photos, little text. So there won't be much character development, unlike a novel. I tried to keep an open mind going into this, and just accept the story as it was told. The art is great, but I just found I couldn't relate to the characters. I have never read a graphic novel before, so since I am used to novels that let the character expound upon their feelings in depth, that may be where my frustration came from. It just seemd to shallow for me. Not enough character development. Didn't really understand why some characters did what they did. But, it was an interesting read, and was fast paced and exciting.
on April 7, 2014
You can safely read the entirety of this compendium if you have seen the first three seasons of The Walking Dead but don't want to "read ahead." I will not include spoilers in this review for the show and the compendium.

One thing I really appreciate about this compendium is the character development and amount of internal processing you are able to witness. Each person has their own struggles and beliefs they are working through, and it shows in their fallibility. They make mistakes, and they have doubts, some of which are reasonable while others are clearly signs of trying to maintain your humanity living in a post-apocalyptic world.

My biggest irritation with the compendium is the characterization of Carl. I understand that he is a young child 7-8 years old, but I feel the writers created the most stereotypically misrepresented dialogue for a child. Children are intelligent at this age and have complete thoughts packaged with their own interpretation of events and rationalization based on observable conduct. Carl seems to be very white-washed and, for lack of a better term, more "child-like" than an actual child of this age is. His dialogue and characterization really is more suitable for a 5 year old than an 8 year old (and I really appreciate that the show bumps his age up by a few years to show better developmental and moral revelations).

Moving on, if you're going to be watching the show and reading the comics, just note that several characters either don't exist or are in a different state (alive/dead) in the comics compared to the show. I actually like that the show isn't a complete copy of the comics as it allows me two different options for the same basic story.