Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

If you're a fan of the series, make sure you read the books.

I bought the compendium so as not to have to buy each volume. While it's now packaged in one large volume, it's well..now in one large volume. Reading can be a little cumbersome due to its size but the spine is bound well and I wasn't worried about pages falling off.

The story is captivating. Beyond the TV series, each character is fleshed out even more. As a plus, story arcs go in slightly (or very) different directions as the show so you won't be able to predict everything going forward. The writing is raw and the people feel a little more rounded, their decisions that much more agonizing.

The artwork is great and captures the gruesome grotesqueness of the undead in exquisite detail.
9 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 26, 2017
I got the kindle version and it was hard to read the larger panels on my small phone screen. It was perfectly fine on a larger tablet.

If you are a fan of the show and haven't read this, I will warn you that there are substantial differences. It is as if a drunk person explained the plot of the comic books to the screenwriter in a loud bar, and them the screenwriter wrote the show from memory a month later. This is to say that the 'highlights' from the comics made it to the show, but it is still a different story.

People are on here trying to review this with deep literary analysis techniques, as if this were Shakespear or Proust or something. This is a comic about zombies. There are many like it, but this is the best one.

If you like the show, you will like the comics. I promise. They complement each other, but are different enough to warrant spending time on both.
15 people found this helpful
on September 6, 2017
The beginning of the show that has captured the imagination of the world. I bought this after I had watched the first two seasons of the show. It was interesting to see where they deviated from the comics and where they stayed faithful to them. Of course, the black and white style gave it a very old school, Night of the Living Dead vibe. I was surprised by how much the characters came to life in the comics. I could easily visualize them doing on the screen what they were doing on the page.
All in all, this made for interesting reading in between season breaks as I pondered on who would be the next to go and how they would meet their demise.

Michael Kelso, author of, 'One on One'.
|0Comment|Report abuse
If you are considering purchasing this book, I assume you are already familiar with the Walking Dead. This hardcover collection is my favorite way to read and collect the series. It saves so much room versus buying single issues or the trade paperbacks. The beautiful hardcover protects the stores and ensures they will last for a while. Each volume contains 12 comics as well as some rare artwork and commentary from Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard. I love how these look on my shelf and I would recommend them to ANY Walking Dead fan, whether you are brand new to the comics, or already own single issues or trade paperbacks.....these are THE way to collect, read, and enjoy them!!
6 people found this helpful
on December 22, 2015
I get excited every year they put another one of the Omnibuses out. The artwork is phenomenal, and the inclusion of additional covers, sketches, and other drawings at the end is a welcomed finish. It is a big heavy book, so definitely designed as a collector's item. Highly recommended.

Update: anyone know if #7 is coming out? These have been perfectly timed in the past to come out around the holidays and this year, nothin.

Update: I contacted a distributor and they said while they don't have an official release date for Omnibus 7, they estimated sometime in July/August 2017
6 people found this helpful
on December 16, 2015
I have been a fan of The Walking Dead for years now. I started watching when there were only three seasons on Netflix. So I pretty much binge watched three seasons straight, and then joined the rest of the world with watching every Sunday. Anyway, I didn't know the show was derived from comics until seeing an episode of Talking Dead. I discovered the Compendiums and I decided to buy it. I have been thoroughly entertained with these comics. I love reading them and seeing how they are the same and different from the show. I am almost finished with Compendium one, and hoping to get Compendium two for Christmas. This is a great read, just as good, if not better than the show. I am a fan of the show, and now the comics for LIFE!!!
on March 14, 2016
I've purchased all volumes up to 22 and the TV show has just about caught up to wear I am in the novels. These books are friggen awesome. I don't read much and my buddy lent me VOL 1 after he knew I liked the show. Well, I burned through the first one and then just went on a tear buying 4 volumes at a time...the price is pretty good for what you get out of these. $9-$15 is the range I've paid per novel, I'm not sure why they aren't the same but anyways, I keep buying them none the less. The story was written before the TV Show and the show follows the story but there is some differences. The written story is more violent and graphic then the tv show but the tv show does a decent job of sticking with main ideas. I've noticed that certain plot things that happen in the book also happen in the show but there is a unique twist like a different character it happens to or something like that. Which makes reading these volumes great cuz I have some idea of where the story is going (after having watched all tv episodes) but there are still surprises. If you like the TV show and haven't read these, give it a try and you will get a whole new experience of the Walking Dead story. I'm putting this same review under every volume I've purchased (1-22) so people can see it. go buy these!
2 people found this helpful
on July 19, 2015
Wow. What a story. The proverbial prodigal son is becoming all grown up, an, like his Pa, his heroics have consequences. There is action in this book. But it essentially sets the stage for volumes to come. It's Carl's volume, and he takes center stage like he was born for the spot light! He's becoming a young man,mans that reality is at the heart of this book. We also see the strength and determination of Maggie Greene, a number of snacks in the grass, get a closer look at a disturbing mystery, and see Jesus hit some bad guys with his particular brand of Daredevilesque Kung fu! Carl is his daddy's son. And this volumes explores the ramifications of this reality. At its heart is a conflict involving our golden boy, and it's resolution will shock newcomers and long time fans alike! Great volume, can't wait for the next one!
on February 25, 2016
I can't even decide if this is the best collection of the three! It's almost comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. Compendium three takes us to a whole new world! Its a place I never imagined coming, and I have no idea how I'm goinv to wait for the next chapter in the series!!

The Walking Dead graphic novels are the first comic I've ever read. It was difficult for me to get into the flow of comic reading (I'm a big book reader) but once I got the hang of it, I was hooked! I'm now trying to find something else to take up my time till the next chapter comes out!

The compendiums of the Walking Dead are a great way to read ALL the books in the seties, as there are a lot. It's also a great way to save a few bucks in doing so, versus buying each comic individualy. This book contains chapters 17-24 (comic book #97-144)
2 people found this helpful
on February 4, 2016
I can't wait til the hubby is done with these so I can actually read them. We are fanatic TWD watchers and I finally got a chance to check these off on his Christmas list!!! He isn't a very big reader , but oh my goodness he read through these so fast!! and the entire time I had to tell him to stop telling me parts cause I wanted to read them, he said that they are um a little more "informative" than the show, so I would say NSFK's, which im really happy that he read them first and we know not to hand them over, we even feel uncomfortable giving them to our 15yo. I got him books 1&2 and plan on working on getting him a set of 2 twice a year. I would suggest getting them after you've watched the show only because if you read them first you might be a little disappointed that some things don't happen in the show that happen in the book. But if reading after the watching the show it gives a little more depth to most of the scenes. overall im happy with my purchase and plan on getting more
3 people found this helpful