Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Flexibound|Change

Showing 1-10 of 190 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 207 reviews
on July 24, 2013
The "confusion" began falling away by the time I reached the 50th page! By page 100 I had gained an entire toolbox to use in the field. Spring or fall, here in the eastern US, I feel confident about my ability to identify our warblers since studying this wonderful book. I was prepared for a very nice guide when I read the information available before publication. I was not prepared for the level of excellence I found when I actually had the publication in my hands (on Kindle!)
This book is so awesome that I also purchased a paper version of it! I can't think of any aspect of warbler identification it doesn't cover and the photography is unparalleled. I truly believe anyone interested in birds, especially getting to know/identify warblers in the US and Canada, will love this book!
When The Warbler Guide first came out in the Kindle edition, the page numbers were not included, making it impossible (or very difficult) to use the song supplement that is available for purchase. I contacted the authors and just today received notice that the pages are now included! (If you purchased the Kindle edition before today, you may need to delete it from your device and redownload it from your cloud to have the numbers display. If you are unsure how to do that, Amazon customer service will see you through.)
on July 15, 2013
As a Warbler guide you need not look any further, this is the guide you need to have. The guide is beautifully put together with pictures,charts,diagrams and engaging text. This guide will become the warble guide that all other guides are measured by. I recommend purchasing The Warbler Guide Song and Call Companion: This companion file set for the book contains all of the vocalizations covered by the book, over 1,000 files, presented in the exact page-by-page order as they occur in the text. All of the songs and calls ofeach master species, as well as the comparison species, are presented in book order. All vocalizations in the Song and Chip and Flight Call Finders are included as are the examples in the chapters "Understanding Sonograms", "How To Listen To Warbler Songs", and "Learning Chip and Flight Calls".

The modern birding library should now start with The Crosssley ID Guide and The Warbler Guide and then add the classic "must have" guides.

Many thanks to Tom Stephenson and Scott Whittle.
on July 10, 2013
Astonishing in its depth, beautiful in its presentation, this book is the best book published on warblers. It is quite enjoyable to read and leaf through. It is a thorough, comprehensive guide to identifying and appreciating warblers. I am now looking forward to the Fall Migration!
on July 23, 2013
I purchased this book because it's really hard for me to distinguish one bird from another, especially the small ones that never stand still. But this book is amazingly detailed. I barely had it for a week when I used it to determine that I saw a couple of Black-Throated Gray Warblers. I thought that I was looking at Black-and-White Warblers, but the book informed me that it was the wrong time and place for them. I'm not sure that I'll be able to memorize this book, but I plan on using it often. A collection of MP3 files would have been even more useful to me instead of the graphical song descriptions, but those calls are found online at enough places.

I hope that the authors write a book like this for the various little brown birds that are out there.
on April 23, 2017
Very nice guide with photos from all different angles and a lot of discussion to help you figure out which bird is which. I especially like the quick-finder guides near the beginning of the book: face view, side view, 45-degree view, underneath view, spring view, fall view--it's all here. You just find the bird or birds that "your" bird might be in the quick-finder pages, then turn to the main section for that bird or birds to see if you've identified the right one. In the main sections for each bird, there are sections for "if it's not this one, then what else could it be?" There also are sections describing the vocalizations of the birds, but I can't read human music, much less bird music, so I have no idea whether these descriptions would be helpful for someone capable of making sense of the notations. This is a substantial book printed on quality paper and filled with quality photos. No slop here!
on November 18, 2013
Of all the bird books I own including all compilations and books on specific species, this has to be the best. Well organized, incredible detail, superb photos including details on song patterns and side by side comparisons of similar warblers. it's rather easy to tell this book was put together with much planing and thought. Well crafted in every respect.

I'm not sure how much better it can get than this. The only thing I can think of that would be missing is a sound CD such as the one that came with the Stokes Birds book. That would have made a great companion however most if not all of these bird sounds can be found on the publc web site Xeno Canto.

This book is a must for any Warbler lover.
on July 16, 2013
Preface: I am a newer/amateur birder, been birding about 2 years and I love books with photos! This guide is AWESOME! I have had many ID questions I've posted to sites, that this book could have answered. I can not believe the amount of information packed into this guide, a must have for anyone serious about Warblers! The 4 pages of angeled-views, I mean, it shows every bird one one page-looking up, looking at a 45 angle, from the front, etc. a great quick-reference, or starting point to narrow down the possibilities. I could keep going, but it is a GREAT WARBLER GUIDE!!!!!
VINE VOICEon September 26, 2013
What an incredible book. It has taken years to produce what can only be the ultimate guide to Parulidae, the Wood Warblers we all love to see in their glorious spring plumage. At more than 500 pages for 81 species, the coverage is amazing. Generally, I am not a fan of photographic field guides: it is almost impossible to capture all the relevant details in a photograph. However, this book is the exception. Instead of a single photo for each species, the book contains photos of every important feature of the birds.

Choosing a page at random, I found myself on the account for Black-throated Gray.

Icons at the top of the page provide a silhouette, a "quick impression" sketch, a picture of the tail, a small range map, and a sketch of the preferred habitat.

That is followed by three photos showing the bird in profile, the underparts, and the "tail in your face" view that is all too typical of warblers. The following page first shows four distinctive views of the main field marks for the bird, including an extreme close-up of the yellow lore spot that is the "killer field mark" for this species. The rest of that page contains 12 more photos.

Next, we are presented with a page showing similar species that might confuse a birder.

A section on Aging and Sexing reveals the many different plumage variations that you may encounter in the field, followed by range maps showing the species's permanent range as well as spring and fall migration routes.

Finally, we have spectrograms for the many vocalizations. Frankly, I know that I should learn to read these, but I prefer to listen to actual sound recordings.

This book is not really useful as a field guide. It is too large and specialized to carry into the field. It will join "Big Sibley" (The Sibley Guide to Birds) as one of the references I carry in the car to consult when I have a difficult ID to work out. A very valuable book that belongs in every serious birder's library.
on January 28, 2016
This is a pretty good guide, however you must have some knowledge of Warblers to begin. Still, I highly recommend it for beginners. Beautiful images with several perspectives and various plumage phases. My big problem with Warblers is that where I live, they are always in migration, so I get 2, sometimes 3 different versions of the same bird, like breeding plumage and non-breeding plumage, plus the females. Female Warblers always throw me off.

I highly recommend this guide, particularly for the Fire HDX, but I can't imagine the paperback being worse : )
on July 20, 2013
This guide has several pages for quickly identifying warblers based on the angle from which you are seeing them. It's very helpful when you're directly under the bird, or seeing it through thick branches.