Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 15, 2017
I found this to be a really entertaining read. At first I was concerned that the plot would lack any particularly imaginative twists (demons materialize, people hide, everything is okay again during the day). But the novel does a great job of exploring a the world and the resulting human community that has developed in a world in which demons are an integral part. The plot generally follows 3 main characters (one of which is, in my opinion, significantly more interesting than the others.)

Ultimately interesting enough to compel me to read the next in the series.
on November 14, 2017
This series offers good, sometimes really good, but not great, fantasy fiction for both young adults and older types. I have been reading fantasy fiction for over 30 years, and would say this might barely make my top 30 series, probably top 40. I have not read anything else by Brett, but have heard it is his best so far. The first book sets the stage, and it is very good. The Warded man is both a bad ass and somewhat complex main character. There are really three main characters in the first book and they all are solid. By the second book, the reader realizes the author has a grander plan in store, and we have a few more main characters in another part of the world that needs to be covered. The Krasians were in the first book (I think?) for several chapters, but not Brett spends more than half the second book to get into their characters and culture. He does this because it is necessary for the third and fourth books to make sense and pay off. As a reader I was weary about my effort needed to wade through all these Krasian chapters since book one just wets your appetite for the Warded man and people of Cutter's hollow. Also, Brett's take on the very Arab like Krasians felt at first like Orientalism. If you don't know what that is, it is worthwhile to Google it. I don't know if there are any literary scholars out there analyzing Brett's novels like some do for Tolkien, George RR Martin, and others, but I would like to hear what they might say on the matter. To his credit Brett does put a lot of effort and words into creating the Krasian culture, especially its language and myths (hence so much of the second book devoted to it). By the third book the two sides of are thrown together. In general I would give the series a B+ for world building. It is one of the series strengths, but demons begin to feel underdeveloped and used mostly as a plot device to develop the main characters. Believe me that you know way more backstory, motivation, etc. about Freddy Krueger in one Nightmare on Elm Street movie than we get about the demons in the first three books. So finally in the 4th book we start to get some answers. Some answers. I am 90 percent done with the book and there is no way a lot about where the demons came from, etc. is going to be answered in what Amazon says is the last book of this series (The Core). For characters I give the series a B or B-. They are somewhat interesting, but only change in predictable ways. I have gone through these books quickly, and recommend them as a solid read, but not amazing.
on October 7, 2017
I pick this book up to fill the time between book releases from my favorite authors. I thought it might fill in a week or so of reading entertainment. Two days later I sit here writing this review. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had great character development.It had a really good story. The characters were interesting. And there were some plot twist. Soon as I finish this review I’ll be purchasing the next book in the series.
on March 7, 2015
A friend told me of this series earlier this week, unable to believe he hadn't already mentioned it to me last year. Since he's never steered me wrong, I picked up this book. He'd warned me that it's told through character chapters/sections, so I knew to expect changing viewpoints and such.

What I wasn't expecting was the 'Noooo' feeling when I reached the end of Arlen's section. I mentally groused at this change in perspective, kept reading, and found myself caught up in Leesha's story. Then came Rojer's entrance, the shortest of the three, but the saddest of them by far.

The book continues to flow through the different perspectives as the main characters age from childhood to adult, the trials and tribulations that drive who they are when they first come together and the challenges they face together that forges who they will become.

The world, the people and the different cultures that arise from the hardships of the world are interesting and have depth to them. The Coreling antagonists are unlike those I've found in other books I've read. I look forward to learning more of the world and its people. So much so that I'll be getting the rest of the released book in the next few minutes.
on March 11, 2015
I found this book through Bookbub and I have to say I am so glad I did. Oh My Gosh what a read. I enjoyed this book from start to finish. Yes, some parts were uncomfortable to read, but those are some of the most integral parts of the story. They're the reasons behind the action of the characters. What I enjoyed was the consistency throughout the entire book of the author to the characters. There isn't a lessening of the brutality of the world they live in just because it makes the reader uncomfortable and the actions of the characters bear this out. Bad s*** happens and in their world, at least, you suck it up and move on. I love the attention to detail, the complex world development and the uniqueness given to each duchy and its people. I've finished the first 3 novels in this series in 3 days. Its that good. Now for the only irritant I just can't seem to get past. THIS IS A SHOUT OUT DIRECTLY TO THE EDITORS AT DEL REY!! In the table of contents, would you PLEASE correct the name of this novel? REALLY???? How freaking hard is it to fix an e-book? What kind of support staff can't even change an "N" to a "D"??? I know I am not the only person who's picked up on this. No idea why, but that really irks me.
on July 28, 2017
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the next one in the series. Brett writes in a way that lets you see the world he has created as if you wee there. I loved the play of each of the characters and how they all came together.
on July 2, 2017
This book is excellent. It's dark, gritty, complex, and the characters are very mortal. It also kept me awake far longer than I should've been because I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended, this is my second purchase of the book so I can share it with another. Try it!
on January 31, 2015
Could not put it down! I had to, reluctantly, my kindle battery kept giving that annoying. "Burp" ! Well thought out and developed characters with aspects and frailties that I could identify with in spite of the fact that I do not live in a world of magic. ( as far as I can tell) The world and pace of the story grabbed me right away. It's not too often that an author can develop such a well thought out belief system without resembling many others that came before. Nicely done! Looking forward to more.
on October 30, 2017
Wow. Just when I thought truly unique world building was dead in modern sci-fi/fantasy, Brett comes along and knocks my socks off. Ensemble, threaded cast isn’t to my personal preference costing the effort a five-star rating but don’t worry: read this book!
on March 19, 2015
A compelling first novel of a fantasy series with a richly detailed world, realistic characters, and epic plots. The first novel introduces people to a world where the night is something to be feared, not just because of the lack of light, but because of what actually goes bump in the night. As the sun sets every day, Demons rise up from the ground, to hunt and kill anything not protected by ancient magical wards. These wards, while not well understood, have kept people safe, if secluded, in their towns and cities for generations. But there are people who want more than to toil by day and cower by night. The Warded Man focuses on several of these people, as they begin a journey which will possibly free humanity from the tyranny of demons, or doom it.

In addition to its fantastic elements, this novel tackles many adult themes, including violence, sex, sexual violence, religion, and moral philosophy.