Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 104 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 135 reviews
on January 25, 2013
This book was such a disappointment. The book is a collection of tips and tricks, very few of which I'd ever use. (Wear a cardigan with sleeves tied around your waist instead of a skirt?! C'mon.) The tone and voice in this book was completely different from The Makeup Wakeup, which she co-authored with makeup artist Sandi Linter. While The Makeup Wakeup offered straightforward and no-nonsense practical advice for a variety of specific issues, this book was full of fluff delivered in a cloying "girlfriend" tone. The author's favorite catchphrase was, "Me too! Same thing!" which was repeated many times, even when it didn't make any sense in the context. I guess that was meant to communicate, "See! You and I are exactly alike! Except I am a former fashion editor! Let me show you my scrapbook! That's me with Lauren Hutton. . ."

There were one or two women in the book whose styles I admired, but many looked like they need a fashion makeover. (Me too! Same thing!)

Unlike The Makeup Wakeup, which was full of specific, step-by-step advice, this book offered almost nothing about about color, body type, fit, or different types of cuts/fabrics in skirts or jackets. . . really nothing that I would expect to see in a fashion advice text. Instead, there were a lot of little fashion-mag style blurbs, like "stop wearing short minis" and "leopard is the new neutral." (I guess so, if you want to look like a cougar.)

I bought this book after borrowing (and reluctantly returning to the library) The Makeup Wakeup. I wish I'd bought that book instead.
33 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
This book is the first thing I've ever returned to Amazon. I bought it because I read a favorable review in the newspaper but it turns out the review was misleading.

This book is written for wealthy women in the size 2 to 6 range. If I had a boat load of money and was size 2 to 6, I wouldn't need any help with my wardrobe.

The photos were not helpful. She occasionally spoke of types of clothing that I'd never heard of -- a photo would have clarified.

She describes different ways to tie scarves. Really? Describes?! Of all places where photos or, at least, diagrams -- or both -- would be expected.

There's no index, which hints at how casually the book is organized. If there's something specific you want to know about, good luck. You have to go hunting and maybe you'll find it, if you have the patience.

My advice -- save your money. Borrow the book from the library and glean what few useful tips you can.
88 comments| 215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2013
Although the subtitle suggests that this is a guide for looking good at any age, I sense it is really for women over age 60. The author uses the personal pronoun "we" a lot, like this: "We invented the bohemian thing. Our minis, tie-dyed tees, embroidered tunics, midi skirts and frayed bells created a new fashion niche. Vintage jeans? Hippie chic? We lived it." (p. 62)

I am also a baby boomer but I came of age when preppie was the norm, I've been a conservative dresser ever since. This book isn't really for younger, conservative dressers looking for a way to make a wardrobe more interesting. It's for older women who need to learn how to tone it down.

For example she writes "...when leggings are pressed into pants service you want to find the thickest, most opaque, matte black ones you can find. They always work with knee high boots. Don't even think about wearing them with stilettos."

On the positive side, the typographic layout of the book is as good as it gets. And there is SOME advice that women in the 40-60 age bracket can use. But the message doesn't come across because there is too much dependence on narrative descriptions of clothing, ensembles and looks without providing photographs or even line drawings to accompany the text. One has to have excellent visualization skills. I feel the author has a lot of knowledge and skill, but style is essentially a visual thing, and without the visuals, it was hard to get much out of this book.

I have Christopher Hopkins' book "Staging Your Comeback" as well, and I prefer his philosophy on style for older women. He proves you don't have to try to look YOUNG in order to look GREAT. His makeovers on ordinary women are miraculous. Check it out.

For women who have figure flaws, the book "Dress Your Best" by Clinton Kelly and Stacy London is the best book I've seen. That one has great pictures.
on March 5, 2017
THIS BOOK IS FABULOUS!! If I could give it ten stars, I would. I'm only halfway through this one, and I can tell I want to add it to my permanent collection. I'd about given up finding a clothing/style book geared towards me, i.e. over 55 category. Even someone younger can benefit from this book in that it has tons of really good and sound fashion advice. I also appreciate so much all the great pictures of various women over 55, they all look so chic and wonderful. I love the way author speaks about the aging body and how it changes. I would highly, highly recommend this book. I know I'm getting a ton of great ideas from it!!
on May 20, 2015
This book tells it like it is. Lois knows her stuff. I have highlighted and marked several articles that hit home for me. I am in my early 60's but don't want to settle for the invisibility cloak that some clothing lines want us to wear. I think I still have some sass in me but can't (and won't) wear the trends my daughters wear. I have to cover the jiggly bits and Lois helps guide you through the mysteries of how to get a well styled and good looking wardrobe on any budget. Dig this book and have followed many of her suggestions. I'm already looking good on the street and in the office and actually turning a few heads. That translates into confidence -- something every 60-something can use.
on October 26, 2014
This book is comprehensive and gives a lot of suggestions. It tends to have a heavy emphasis on wearing black ... At least in the photos. After reading several other books that try to pull you away from using black, it seems that many of those in fashion still gravitate to it personally. I do too as I think it looks chic when put together correctly. There isn't a lot of attention given to dressing for your body type in the suggestions that are made but that can be found elsewhere.

It was an enjoyable read and I liked that Lois gave more thrifty suggestions along with the upscale, silencing my protestations because of not having the wealth to purchase designer labels. All in all, an enjoyable and enlightening read.
on June 26, 2013
I read the review in Bookpage and thought this was exactly the book I've been looking for - contemporary fashion for the aging body. I found a few good tips but felt the bulk of the book was photos and self promotion of thin aging women who are retired from the fashion industry. Seriously, how many of us look like that or have the checkbook to buy the recommended garments? It was okay but not something I'd recommend to my friends.
on July 25, 2016
Great book and good advice. It's geared towards more mature ladies but it's great information for anyone wanting to jazz up their wardrobe and make good choices for their body and way of life.
on December 12, 2015
A scattered jumble of thoughts compose this "book," which is regularly punctuated with exclamations of "Me too! Same thing" in random places in the text. Don't bother if you have any mastery of the English language and some reasonable sense of style.
on April 22, 2017
This book was life-changing for me! I am not a huge fashionista but as I get older, I knew my wardrobe needed to change. I couldn't find any info that explained the many aspects of the changing wardrobe and how to put it all together. It was just the motivator and teacher I needed!!