Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Watch [Blu-ray]
power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on June 15, 2013
I rented The Watch one night after work because I was looking for a goofy comedy that didn't take itself too seriously. I was expecting something like one of the much later American Pie's (Like 4 or 5), but was rewarded with something far better. Is it the funniest movie I've seen? No. Does the cast play off each other's strengths well and produce a movie that had me laughing more often than not? Yes. All in all, a great movie for indulging the sillier side of your sense of humor.
on April 9, 2013
I did not think I would enjoy this movie as much as I did. Both Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn are not my favorite actors, and the other two are relatively unknown to me. However! This was a fun movie to watch -- but DO NOT WATCH IT WITH YOUR KIDS! There are too many visual and audio references to... things (don't want to spoil it for you) that will have you rushing to cover the eyes of even your 14 or 15 year old's. Great fun to watch with other adults, though. You may not want to be eating while watching this as you may laugh your butt off and choke on your popcorn.
on July 30, 2015
Another Stiller frat boy comedy leaves me with the same questions that arose for me in Tropic Thunder. When will Stiller get a serious role? I think he's got the acting chops and I'd like to see him without the dirty jokes. I'm a big Ayoade fan and it was more than disappointi
ng to watch one of the smartest actors around stuck with disgusting, stupid lines. Same question: when will he get a role worthy of his talent?
I'll never like this brand of crude humor. The plot did move along quickly enough to keep me engaged, but it was groan after groan.
on April 5, 2015
I'm a big fan of Vince Vaughn and I like Ben Stiller and Jonah Hill so I purchased this Amazon instant video. It had some funny moments. I watched it until it was over, but the "good alien/bad alien" wasn't believable and it was not funny to me. I won't give detail on the alien thing, you'll have to watch it. Other viewers said it had 80's humor and it did. It also had "guy humor" which men can relate to. So, if the target audience was in their 20's - early 30's they might think it's hilarious. Otherwise, smoking pot or being drunk would really help the viewing experience. I don't do either of those, so I gave it 3 stars.
on December 5, 2012
This was a great movie and will probably rent it again. I had a good laugh with this move. Ben stiller and Vince Vaugh still got it and proves that even though, they are older now, they can still bring my to tears as a 20 year old.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 17, 2013
In Glenview, Ohio there is a Costco run by a repressed manager, and are you surprised that this uptight guy is played by Ben Stiller? Ever the square, Evan (Stiller) founded the running club and the Spanish table at the community center. He and his wife are desperate to have kids. Evan doesn't have any friends. He's that kind of guy.

When the Costco night security guard meets an untimely (and pretty gruesome) death, Evan decides to establish a neighborhood watch, ideally composed of concerned citizens tasked with solving the murder of security guard Antonio Guzman and "to generally get to the bottom of things."

What Evan gets aren't civic-minded gents as much as a bunch of yahoos looking to get out of the house and hang out with the boys. Bob (Vince Vaughn) is that loud, obnoxious neighbor you love to hate. Jamarcus (Richard Ayoade), shy and recently divorced, is looking for action (and, by action, I mean Asian women). Franklin (Jonah Hill), once an aspiring law enforcer, sees the group as a vigilante squad. This is maybe the most unprepared, most undedicated neighborhood watch ever. And in Glenview, Ohio, they may be all that stand between us and an alien invasion. We are so, so screwed. This is how Falling Skies and After Earth happen.

So, a disclaimer: THE WATCH is more clown house than art house. It isn't something you want to watch in the tea parlor with your aunties and your scones. It's not for delicate ears. This movie is raunchy and crude and vulgar. It's best enjoyed when you put on your frat-boy hat and you've got your immature buddies around. At least the trailer prepped you for what sort of movie it is. I did appreciate that the story didn't minimize the danger of the invaders. These aliens aren't that well established but we note that they're wicked mean and pursue a habit of skinning their victims. The green goo is, of course, an expected by-product. The humor is a cross between Apatow and the Farrelly Brothers. I couldn't believe the crazy things these guys were saying and doing, but, with me, it was a case of shaking my head but laughing, too. The performances, what performances? While I laughed a lot, I couldn't help but view the members of the Watch as shallow cartoon characters. Stiller, Vaughn, and Hill tap into their trademark onscreen personas, so either you like their patented traits or you don't. Either you like Costco or you don't. Either you like exploding cows or you don't.

The DVD's bonus stuff:

- 12 Deleted/Extended Scenes (totaling 00:24:35 minutes)
- Gag Reel (00:03:41)
- "Alien Invasions & You" - cast & crew are asked what they would do if there's an alien invasion (00:01:47)
- "Casting the Alien" - a tongue-in-cheek sit down interview with one of the aliens (00:05:24)
- Theatrical Trailer
on July 24, 2014
I love each of these actors, and thought they'd be an interesting ensemble cast if the writing held up. I also did not expect this movie to be about what it was about (no spoilers).

Really, I am not sure why it didn't do well in theaters except maybe it's a bit formulaic and slightly crude. It was worth a $3.99 date-night rental, though, just to laugh together at all the, um, boy-parts-oriented jokes (and oh my, were there ever so many).

Plus, Richard Ayoade! Why not?

Pros: You'll be surprised at what it's really about, great actors; relatively non-repetitive crude jokes

Cons: A bit formulaic, a bit crude (for those sensitive types), and Ayoade doesn't get the screen time or writing he deserves
on February 5, 2016
This is a hard movie to grade. It's a 2 but then again, it's a 6 out of 10 for just plain silliness and fun. Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, a leaner Jonas Hill, and Richard Ayoade (The IT Crowd) star in this goofier than most alien films. After the death of his night watchmant at Costco, Evan organizes a Community Watch program. He pleas to a crowd at the local football game and eventually enlists three others: Bob (Vaughn), Franklin (Hill) and Jamarcus (Ayoade).

Intertwining with the main storyline is Bob's high school daughter, Chelsea (Erin Moriarty - Hope Schlottman from Jessica Jones) and her numerous beaus including an incredibly strong Jason (Nicolas Braun). R. Lee Ermey pokes his head out for a short bit as the overbearing Manfred.

There's a lot of juvenile humor, definitely a lot of sex talk and innuendo. The characters are mostly two dimensional and the writing is just okay. So what makes this so good? It's just funny in a very stupid way. The Watch wasn't likely to win anything of than guffaws of high school boys. However, it did get me snickering a few times as well. Richard Ayoade's character is almost identical to Moss from The IT Crowd and I'm pretty sure that's why he was hired.
on November 14, 2014
Certainly nothing original here. This is a prime example of the generic Hollywood formula that some people can't get enough of. The stars play their type-casted roles in a story that has been done over and over and over again (If the movies Evolution and This is the End had a baby it would look just like this). Seriously, many of the lines in this movie are simply cut and paste. Certainly seems like there is a lot of penis-centric insecurity in Hollywood, considering how much they obsess about it.

I laughed a few times and it wasn't horrible, but I would have felt much better in the end if it was free on Prime.
on December 1, 2014
In all seriousness, this movie was BOMB! This movie brings together actors from several genres such as R Lee Ermey (best known as Gunner Sergeant Hartman from Full Metal Jacket). The combination of story, cast, and directing all makes for an explosion of laughs and action as some disgruntled citizens stumble upon an alien conspiracy to invade Earth, but first the aliens have to invade their small hometown in Ohio of all places. Four mediocre men join forces, but can they seriously stop an alien invasion that crossed untold distances through space with technology centuries ahead of ours? You'll have to see it to believe it!!