Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 68 reviews
on January 15, 2014
I am still happy that I read it but this one did not do it for me. I'll go on most any trip John Irving is going on. I'll cut him some slack any day. Even one of the books, Until I Find You, The 4th Hand, Widow for One Year, Son of the Circus, Cider House Rules, Hotel New Hampshire, World According to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany, and Piggy Snead would make it worth following this author forever. I did not like his earliest works, Setting Free the Bears or the 138(?)Pound Marriage. But after that, the only ones that can touch him are Robertson Davies, Muriel Barberry, A.S. Byatt, E. Annie Proulx, Tom Spanbauer, Cathie Pelletier and John LeCarre, but he does it five times to their one, except for LeCarre. Go, Mr. Irving. Having gay family I was looking forward to his last (In One Person). I didn't find it funny at all. One of my gay family members loved the book, and found it hilarious in parts, so what do I know. Having grown up in New England not many families that I know of would be confident enough or accepting enough to have grandpa at the table in drag - this I found far fetched. Having had a loved one die of AIDS, I was disgusted with the character who infected his wife. That is real life but it still pissed me off which is a testimony to Mr. Irving's finger on the pulse of reality. I greatly look forward to Mr. Irving's next book.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2016
very poor printing quality
on April 9, 2011
I loved this book. I like John Irving. I think this is about the fifth book I've read of his. This one was very funny and also a little sad. I like happy endings.
on May 16, 2015
I found the narrator, Fred Trumper, not very likeable and the story was just mighty boring. I bought the book based on some reader reviews that mentioned the book made them laugh out loud. I got one slight giggle out of the whole book. The humor, to me, was very juvenile and forced. I considered quitting on the book several times but ended up finishing it eventually. I recommend the book to anyone who likes boring, unfunny stories.
on November 28, 2009
This would be an awful book for most writers, but for a talented artist like Irving to print this garbage is just sad. The book jumps back and forth from the past to the present, he goes in and out of fantasy without noting which one you are in. The old lit piece is out of place all together.

This is my fourth Irving book, and I was so disappointed I will have to will myself to read another.
on February 3, 2011
I got a little more than half way through John Irving's book and I couldn't stand it anymore.
If your into toilet humor and bad taste, this one is for you. If this is one of Irving's better books as some of the reviewers have stated, I wouldn't touch the others with a ten foot pole. I depend a lot on the comments of our fellow readers before making purchases, you guys let me down on this one.
on July 23, 2010
I read all of the wonderful reviews of this book- and after being thoroughly pleased by his much later work- Prayer for Owen Meany- I felt I surely couldn't go wrong. All I can say is "WTF?????"- and for those who don't know what that means- just look it up. This book was written in the 1960's so maybe it was the age of the psychedelic drugs that influenced the writing- but I have no idea what Irving was getting at in this book. In addition, though I'm no prude, I wouldn't dare let my wife or kids have a glance at this book- I can see it getting banned from many libraries.
on April 26, 2014
I'm a big John Irvine fan but I couldn't get into this book, gave up trying to read it in the end. Nothing like as polished as the rest of his stuff.
on October 30, 2016
Such a great book. That Irving wrote this when he was only in his 20s is amazing. It's a fun, fun book, full of lightness, along with some darkness (it can't be Irving without some darkness) but it's different from his later works, in that there is much more laughter. It's a fun journey. Read it. Laugh a lot. Be happy. I love this book. Fast shipping, book is new.
on March 24, 2015
Shame that I didn't have it until now. But you know - no one is perfect (just read Irving and see). I'm a big fan of his and have translated Owen Meany into Latvian. Owen is definitely his best character though I love them all, incl. bears. Well, to be honest from the very first sentence I read of Irving it's himself who's really the best character - it's the magnificently charming though not imposing presence of the author that I admire in his works. I'd say that Until I Find You is Irving's best piece until now though I admit that I'm deeply subjective in this evaluation. Anyways, The Water-Method Man is Irving at his best. Highly enjoyable. Pure delight.