Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$2.34+ $5.69 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 63 reviews
on June 9, 2014
Watch your back Hiaasen! Why? Well, Martha Grimes has taken a brief trip to Florida and in has caressed the Everglades in her wonderful style of humor. If you're reading this and think, oh it's a Florida book, you'd be wrong, and it was cruel of me to mislead you. This wonderful book is about the zany justice two contract killers enact against an inscrutable agent. I can't without spoiling it tell you why they do it. Or how they drag characters from her previous work "Foul Matter" into it. But I am going to say this was so much fun to read that I had to have the book taken out of my hands (between chapter 47 and 48) because my laughter was keeping everybody awake. Who sleeps at 2AM?

This is a sequel, but since it had been a while since I read "Foul Matter" it took me awhile until the plot of that book seeped into my consciousness. It wasn't forgettable, I just read a lot and fast.

Martha writes the "Richard Jury Series," which I loved enough to crawl in between and under the West Palm Beach Library stacks to find the book that was missing but was supposed to be there.

She is a lady and a humorist. She is a writer and a story teller. And she has my esteem.
on May 20, 2014
You'll either love it or hate it. I love its snarky wit, its Keystone Cops flavor of one plot after another backfiring in such unexpected ways. Strictly fun with a whiff of literature!
on July 17, 2016
After reading Foul Matter by Martha Grimes, I could hardly wait to read the sequel, The Way of All Fish. I am reading it as slowly as possible because I don't want it to end. The two hit men are hysterical in their outsiders view of what they see as a business much more cut throat than theirs, the publishing industry. Don't want to give anything away except I find myself laughing out loud which I rarely do. HIghly recommend.
on April 7, 2017
I like Martha Grimes' novels and her style of writing.
on March 24, 2016
I have read this book several times just to immerse myself in Ms. Grimes wonderful and witty prose. Candy and Karl help set the stage for hijinks involving the publishing world in addition to other characters that make you wish you could write like Ms. Grimes! If I were Ms. Grimes these characters and their publishing world would be dancing through my head without end! Thank you Ms. Grimes for your talent and hard work.
on May 16, 2014
Ms Grimes is one of my favorite writers.She never disappoints. I am so glad she made a follow-up with this book as the first one was just as enjoyable!
on November 4, 2016
Humorous take-off on the publishing industry. Contains lots of unusual characters. Not quite as good as predecessor, Foul Matter, but that may be because the situations and characters were new to me in the first book..
on December 5, 2015
I've been a fan of Grimes' Richard Jury for years and have enjoyed her other novels as well particularly this one and its "volume 1"n "Foul Matter". Don't read this one without reading the first, she relies on your knowing them from the first book. The two together are very funny.
on November 17, 2015
I was introduced to Karl and Candy in a previous story. This story line is a little more predictable than the first book. As always Martha Grimes is fun to read and one genuinely likes the two hit men. I was a little less taken with Cindy and her stuckness in her book writing. Otherwise a great read
on June 26, 2016
Martha Grimes' wonderful writing enhances a unique storyline. She is so creative! Her introduction of high drama to mundane situations in a darkly hilarious way reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut! When Martha Grimes is good, she is very very good!