Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 29, 2014
I've read a lot of books on mental toughness lately. First off, most of them are written for athletes, and though I hit the gym twice a day every day, I'm not technically an athlete. Second, most books on leadership don't give you a lot of detail. Divine doesn't write in platitudes and ideals. He delivers actionable information.

The challenge: there are lots of acronyms to memorize in this book. Divine hails from the US Armed Forces (Navy SEAL Commander, Retired), so the love of TLAs is in high effect. But in the end, like all good things, you learn a bit easier because you remember them longer (DIRECT and PROP and SMACC are just things I do now every day).

The trick: there's a trick to this book. I almost don't want to tell you. He wants your mind and spirit to work just as hard as anything else. There's tons in here on meditation and on what can typically be considered spirituality. Only, it's written with far less crystals and fussy foo foo language and it's written like the kind of stuff you need to get your brain and soul as tight as your body for the work ahead.

The best: Divine gives you so many ways to take action, with a really good progression around it, that this book will DEFINITELY improve your mindset, your efforts, your intentions, and your output.

If you do the work. But then, that's the same with anything.

I've read a LOT of books on the subject matter covered by Mark Divine in this book but this one stands out above the others. Just as a point of fact, I've purchased the book three times so far, and will likely give out more to people over time. It's a must read. I've been blathering about it far too much.

Get on this.
64 people found this helpful
on February 21, 2014
Don't think for a minute this book is only about Navy SEALS. It is about a way of thinking, how to think effectively and achieve your goals in a focused and determined manner, build intuition, deal with adversity and do it all with much less stress. What is taught applies to SEALS, executives, athletes, and well everyone who wants to do more than just accept what life throws your way. Coach Divine teaches you how to take back control of your life and drive it rather than just be a passenger. I've read plenty of self-help books and this is seriously a cut above. Throw the rest out, they are now obsolete. I'm getting everyone on my team at work a copy of this book.
14 people found this helpful
on May 20, 2018
Really enjoyed it. Mark Divine is obviously a master of physical ability and mental control, but what impressed me the most is his focus on balance and promoting being well-rounded. This is not a book about pushing your way through life; but guiding your own path and in relation to others, dealing with your past and emotional s*!t, realizing how much more you are capable of than you realize, and includes the spiritual side too. Recommended especially for those of you who are looking to find direction and motivation in their lives.
on October 19, 2016
This book is full of very practical applications of leadership that incorporate physical, spiritual, emotional, and physical dimensions. For me, I really enjoyed learning about personal and organizational leadership using Navy Seals lingo and examples but I could see how for some that might be challenging.

All said and done I'm impressed with this book and I believe this a good read along with other books that talk about business, leadership, fitness, willpower, etc.
on March 2, 2017
Purchased this book as a gift. I read a few pages and the book seems interesting and well written. This is a great book for anyone who has served in the Navy and one who is looking to succeed and move their life forward!
on May 31, 2018
Commander Divine's tools that he developed in his life to succeed at elite levels at all times, including under intense pressure, have proven very useful to me in my life. I have given many copies of this book to others, both at work and in my personal life. I highly recommend this book and suggest that readers really try what he suggests, because it does work.As an example, I have challenged a number of people at work to try the morning 'ritual' for two weeks and have not once had someone not say it made a big impact on their day. Great stuff.
on October 12, 2015
This book has become one of the greatest additions to my bookshelf. As a 23 year old male taking on adversity to make it in New York City as a CPA, much like Mark Divine, I found many parallels between our stories which forged a great connection between me and this book. I've been truly inspired by what I have read. The novel has made an impact on my life, making me more confident, driven, and successful. My only complaint is that I wish Mark included a bit more about himself. I'm crossing my fingers for a more biographical text in the future. You won't regret this purchase.
on March 4, 2014
I felt that out of all of the management / self improvement / leadership books that I have read this is the only one I have taken the time to write a review

The content was presented in a manner that the information was understood as written. Being a Vietnam veteran I also have felt a connection with the author and the seal ( military approach) to lead and succeed

A book with many take a ways that can be utilize immediately
10 people found this helpful
on September 22, 2017
This is a well-written and deeply beneficial novel packed full of information and useful instruction. I would suggest it to anyone who has an interest in the mentality of an elite warrior or anyone who has the desire and willpower to improve themselves for the better over the long term. I am a rubber band man for life!
on June 26, 2015
Great book! Really got me inspired to take action. Great tools for life! I will be highly recommending this book to a lottt of people! I love that it has a lot of calls to action, it gets you into actually putting the books theories to work WHILE you're reading. It is written in a way that it can apply to any "type" of person from a stay at home mom, to a business entrepreneur or aspiring navy seal. Its not all "fru fru" like some self help type books. I think my husband would actually read this and not be at risk of loosing his eyes as they roll in the back of his head :)
2 people found this helpful