BCA Month Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

The Way To Cook DVD
Format: DVD|Change

on March 17, 2010
Cooking was a haphazard skill for me until I read Julia Child's "The Way to Cook." There are thousands of books that teach recipes, but very few about techniques. That is where Mrs. Child breaks from most cooking instructors and where she leaves an important mark.

By explaining, quickly and simply, the most useful methods in the preparations of foods, she makes clear, with positive attitude, enthusiasm and reassurance, how the novice cook can prepare meals expertly.

The accompanying video series, now on DVD, does not have all the recipes listed in the book (that would take years to go through), but the techniques are all here, well organized and easy to master. I recommend both these videos and the book itself, for the latter goes into deeper details on how the theme-and-variation approach to recipes helps demystify cooking.

Julia Child made a significant difference in my life. I am forever grateful to America's First Lady of Food for patiently teaching me the way to cook.
Enthusiast: Quiltingon August 11, 2012
This is a very basic cooking dvd, which I think is good for everyone, even if it's just a review. I don't consider myself a novice cook, but I even got some techniques and tips from it. I think just being in the presence of Julia is a good thing, like her teaching continues even though she is still not with us.

The quality of my dvd's are just fine, not sure why that other reviewer had issues with the quality. I wish Julia had done a series of vidoes. Now you can only get a few of the old episodes of her French Chef cooking show. Guess they didn't think of it back then.

This is a great video for beginners and I think a great price, under $11.
on December 10, 2013
Love the DVDs. Nothing to do with the nonsensical recipes from Food channels, etc. Mrs. Child teaches all kinds of techniques, from the simple to more sophisticated. A must have for anyone who enjoys cooking and wants to do it right. (Couple it with Pol Martin's "Easy Cooking for Today" and you are covered!
VINE VOICEon February 6, 2010
I just watched the first DVD on poultry and meat of this set and can understand why Julia Child is such a huge hit. She shows you how to take everyday grocery items and easily turn them into delicious entrees. I also bought the cook book set: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (2 Volume Set). It may turn out that all I need is this DVD, which by the way includes a recipe booklet for every recipe shown on the video. The video is very well organized and can teach even a complete novice how to make some splendid dishes. I'll start with the video and work my way into the two volume cookbook. I grew up with Julia Child but never watched her show with any regularity. I, like many others, watched the movie Julie and Julia and my interest got sparked. I notice the two volume cookbook set has crept up in price since I bought it. I'll bet before the movie I could have gotten it for half the price. That's fine though. With this DVD, I'll just place my laptop on a kitchen counter and follow the easy step by step instructions.

What has been abundantly clear to thousands of people for years is that Julia Child knows how to cook. With this DVD what now also becomes abundantly clear is that she is every bit as excellent as a cooking teacher as she is a cook. To cook well is one thing. To teach well is something entirely different. Julia Child deserves to go down in history as she has and will continue to.
on August 17, 2011
My husband and I tried Julia's risotto rice recipe and we gobbled it up. Julia presents various ways to cook meats, poultry, veggies and more, and explains cooking techniques as they arise in the dishes being prepared. The recipes are not light but with some simple substitutions you can make them less calorie dense. This 2-DVD set comes with a cook booklet. The recipes on the DVDs and in the booklet are numbered to make finding them easy in either medium. What a wonderful product and it cost only $23. It will more than pay us back in meals eaten at home instead of restaurants. I am no longer surprised why Julia Child has an enduring reputation for delicious, do-able cooking.

July 20, 2012
I continue to reference these DVDs frequently. As with quilting, I find cooking-technique DVDs are worth 1,000 still pictures. This one is among the best in value and continues as a favorite in my how-to DVD library. P.S. I highly recommend Julia's hamburger recipe. :-)
on May 30, 2014
I bought this for my children age 19 and 20 plus. I thought they could choose a recipe while I hovered nearby for advice. So far my son has chosen the hamburger recipe and has done well on his own. I bought the hardcover ages ago and was really pleased to see that a DVD was available. I like the fact that the DVD allows you to go straight into the topic/recipe of choice. While I don't think it replaces the book, I like to visually see and hear Julia cook. I think the DVD teaches the very basics of cooking proteins, soups or vegetables which forms a strong foundation for a cook to stand on. Of course I like French Cooking also.
on June 4, 2016
Absolutely WONDERFUL!!! No, it is not for lazy people who do not have a passion for cooking. If you are looking for fast, easy recipes that entail opening a can of this or a packet of that, forget it. This is most definitely for those who love cooking and have a desire to get back to the basics using REAL foods.
on September 18, 2016
This is a wonderful collection of little videos of instruction for bums like me who want to cook better but don't want to get into anything like a big production. She is so easy in her demonstrations that they make me want to try these steps out right away. If you're an accomplished cook this will most likely not teach you anything but for the rest of us this is a great "on ramp" to better eating.
on June 26, 2017
I had this course on VHS tape back in the 80s. I am so glad I found it on DVD from Amazon. These master recipes can be applied to virtually any cookbook ever written.
on April 10, 2017
Julia Child you can't go wrong. Love it.