Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on September 29, 2006
Most DVD's I get that come with commentaries are watched without them until much later as the content of the DVD is much more entertaining than the usually self-serving and boring reminiscences of the participants. In this case the opposite is the rule. The shows are OK as kids' fare and hint at Weird Al's peculiar talents. The commentaries, with Al, his producer and director and occasional guests give an insight into the agonies of trying to do something original in the constipated world of network television. Virtually everyting they wanted to do was censored or banned entirely and every episode was twisted into a mealy mouthed "educational" experience which blunted every attempt at original humor. Especially funny in the commentaries are the network's obsession with "imitatable behaviors", ie, anything dangerous depicted on the show that the tykes might try at home. But they never said a word when poor Harvey the Wonder Hamster was shot out of cannons or catapulted around the stage. This ends up a a course in Dealing With Idiots.
on October 30, 2009
I am a huge Weird Al fan (from the 80s), but the reviews are right... These shows are horrible. In fact, I own it just as a novelty item.

What's wrong with it?
-Being a kid's show, it has nothing Weird Al fans can relate to. He himself admits dumbing down the skits in order to meet CBS broadcasting needs.

What's good about it?
Al's acting is superb, he really gave it his all, but the humor is seriously lacking. It's a weird (no pun intended) combination of Al's goofy persona mixed with education inducing skits. It's not easy to sit & watch through as an adult. All in all, the special feature - commentary is worth it! Al is kind enough to provide full length feedback for every single episode. Often times his commentary is more engaging than anything on screen.

Again- great novelty item for "Weird Al" Yankovic fans, but this is not UHF style humor.

(*Neat little note for wrestling fans- Macho Man Randy Savage guest starred in the last episode.)
on May 16, 2016
Once my wife heard this was available on DVD, she had to have a copy. It's silly. It's fun. It's a kid's show. If you are looking for the usual Weird Al videos and music, look elsewhere. The commentary is actually better than the show and provides insight into how kid shows actually happen.
on August 16, 2006
I am a huge Weird Al fan and I never saw the show before so I was anxious to buy it on the 15th however NO STORES carried it. So I was able to buy it off of Amazon and I got it today and watched a few episodes. It is close to Pee Wee's Playhouse but this is so much more energetic. If you never seen this show but are interested in satire or even Weird Al for that matter than this is a must have for you. I really enjoy the variety and guest stars in the show. It never gets dull or boring.
on April 13, 2007
I think I was able to see most of this show when it ran on TV, and wasn't suprised when it didn't make it past the 13 episode first season. Wierd Al is an Icon of the music industry for his parodies of popular songs. Some big artist have been quoted saying they know they "made it big" when wierd al Parodies one of their songs. So, with High hope,especially with his UHF film riding high in my mind, This show fell way short of it. As Wierd al points out on commentary, the constraints placed on the show were rediculous, and many scenes hit the cutting room floor, now lost forever. If it would have been played on comedy central or some other unrestricted channel or time, this show may have hit it off with teens and young adults. Unfortunate fate for a decent humor show, but now I can enjoy it on DVD, and it's not to expensive either. Worth the few bucks for any Wierd al fan.
on October 25, 2010
Having been to a Weird Al concert at the Greek Theater in Hollywood, having sung "Amish Paradise" in a karaoke bar, and having driven through the Lynwood, CA, neighborhood in which Weird Al grew up, this is certainly the capstone of my Weird Al collection. I will treasure it forever...or at least until I get my hands on his "Straight Outta Lynwood" CD. Just call me "White 'n Nerdy".
on January 19, 2016
I gave this as a gift and they really liked it
on May 1, 2014
Closest thing to a UHF sequel I'll ever see. Love the show and the extras on this great DVD set!
on July 5, 2016
love it
on November 5, 2006
The Weird Al Show provides hours of entertainment for the young and the young at heart...my 10-year-old son and I have bonded with our admiration of good ol' Weird Al! I recommend this DVD set and hope you enjoy it as much as my family did.