Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 180 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 519 reviews
on August 19, 2017
Season 7 is the national Campaign for Santos/Gerry. It is great. The tension against a wonderful performance by Alan Alda is something to see. Mr. Alda shows moral character and noble principle that would make me support his ticket. Something that neither I nor Alda would do in real life for a party that would never support a candidate like Alda. I suppose the West Wing was arguing for something better than we got in those years.
The fantasy West Wing floated far away from reality and lost the viewers that supported it.

Santos and Josh struggle on. Josh comes apart without Donna but carries on. The Bartlett White House is lost in tepid stories that are not that good. But, still Martin Sheen and Allison Janney do a magnificent job. Worst of all, we lose John Spenser for real. The world without Leo is sad indeed. But, thankfully we get to have a funeral to mourn. Yes, that blurs fantasy and reality. And that is what it was.
on February 3, 2017
The review title says it all. For some inexplicable reason they eliminated English subtitles on both the Season 6 and Season 7 sets, although the previous five seasons had it.

Love the series, as always, but would cheerfully toss whoever decided not to keep the English subtitles into a swimming pool filled with box jellyfish.
on October 28, 2013
I had a real love/hate relationship with the 7th (and 6th) season of The West Wing.

What I hated:
I thought they destroyed the character of CJ and way too much air time for Will and Kate (Josh Malina and Mary McCormack), two characters that I never liked. I would have preferred that the campaign be the main focus and not just every other episode. I know that they did it to save money on salaries but it resulted in me pretty much only watching the weeks that were centered on the campaign. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one skipping the been-there-seen-that West Wing, that had only CJ and POTUS as characters I cared about and by the end, didn't really give a hoot about CJ.

What I did love:
The Campaign! I liked how they presented both sides while still making it a show about Santos' campaign. I thought Senator Arnold Vinick (wonderfully portrayed by Alan Alda) was a worthy opponent. He really seemed to be a good man, just not the man I was rooting for to become the next president. Patricia Richardson (Sheila Brooks) showed a different light on her acting skills by showing us a smart, savvy and compassionate aid to the Senator.

Senator Matt Santos Campaign - Love love Jimmy Smits in this role and Teri Polo did a flawless job portraying Helen Santos, wife of the candidate, supporting her man even though she wasn't thrilled about how the campaign and the ending results of the campaign could and would affect her family. I think Senator Santos was everything we want in a politician, smart, fair, wants to do the right thing and make a difference while keeping his fellow Americans safe, healthy and educated. It's television, I know we don't get that in real life which I think may be why I loved Santos all that much more. He was the ideal for me, not reality. It's television, not real life. His character is allowed to be ideal.

Josh Lyman - Bradley Whitford, this is by far his greatest role and he eats up every scene. From high energy and exceitement, to the depths of despair of great loss, from manic to calm, from rejection to love. I loved going through this campaign with Josh Lyman, Donna Moss, Lou Thorton, Annabeth Schott, Leo McGarry and the rest of the Santos crew. I learned a lot and was entertained a lot.

I think the campaign episodes of this season are great, the WH scenes left a lot to be desired. But overall, despite it's problems, the good parts make it a solid 4 stars for me and it was still better than most shows at that time, and still a lot of fun to watch all over again.
on August 22, 2017
I ordered 5 seasons of The west wing, from this seller.
All were in better condition than described. Discs were clean, with the exception of one smudge that came off easily and did not interfere with play.
will order from this seller again.
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2006
Alan Alda must feel blessed to have been such an integral part of two of the greatest shows in television history. The creative forces behind the West Wing gathered their collective strengths and gave the series the ending it deserved. Decades from now I'll be pulling out these discs and watching them.

With horror and sadness we learned last December that John Spencer had suddenly passed. West Wing fans grieved and sent their prayers on behalf of Mr. Spencer and those who had actually known and loved him. We can see that some of that love and respect gets translated to the show and the episodes that swirl around Leo's death are among the most heart-breaking I've ever seen on screen. When Kristin Chenoweth as Annabeth tells Bradley Whitford as Josh that Leo has died her tears didn't look at all like "acting". The same can be said for the expressions on the faces of all of the actors at Leo's funeral, ending with Martin Sheen as President Bartlet.

The storyline of this season centers on the Presidential race with Jimmy Smits portraying Congressman Matt Santos against Alda's Senator Arnold Vinick. This ticket was clearly the fantasy of the liberal writers as even the Republican candidate is pro-choice, insults some NRA-type vigilantes and all but thumbs his nose at the religious right. As Vinick's campaign is derailed somewhat in the aftermath of a nuclear accident in California a particularly shrewish right-winger is brought in to help the Senator woo back the republican base. Ron Silver continues in his role as Bruno Gianelli, the political strategist who only cares about winning - and knows how to do it. Patricia Richardson is effective as Vinick's assistant who tries to keep him on track. Janeane Garofalo serves as sparring partner to Josh as Lou, a democratic operative who gets almost as much pleasure from seeing Josh flounder (which he inevitably does for brief moments) as from helping her political causes. Teri Polo plays Helen - candidate Santos' wife - and this character always seems a little less enthusiastic than would be appropriate for the wife of a man who may become president.

Aside from the sensitive and respectful way the real-life death of John Spencer was worked into the fictional story, this season gets a few other things right. Where we may have been frustrated in the past at the lack of love lives of most of these characters for years - all in the service of their country - this season we get to see most of the principal characters hook up in one way or another. First daughter Ellie gets married in a White House ceremony curiously missing both of her sisters. (Although all three daughters make Leo's funeral.) Through their own obvious attraction and Donna's persistence Josh and Donna finally get together. In the opening of the first episode we're glad to see in flashback that C.J. and Danny Concannon have married and have a child, and in other episodes we get to see Danny's gentle courting techniques on one of the most powerful (and powerfully nice) women in the world. It's also gratifying to see some "old friends" show up in the final episodes such as Rob Lowe's return as Sam Seaborn. (Sam is recruited to duty by Josh in a scene that pays homage to the earlier flashback scene from season two when Josh conscripts Sam to the first "Bartlet for America" campaign.)

To the shows writers, directors, actors, and the professionals who shot, set and costumed the show: Bravo! I'll miss you dearly and watch these shows with enduring pleasure.

To the pinheads who decided to release these DVDs without any significant extras: A pox on your houses. While the first seasons came with full sets of subtitles, documentaries and commentary tracks in which performers, directors and creators couldn't withhold their obvious glee - this season comes with next to nothing. The first seasons came with subtitles in English, Francais and Espanol. The last two seasons have not had an option for English subtitles. What if the viewer is hard of hearing?

What is the reason for these deficiencies? Laziness? Complacency? No doubt the almighty dollar played the major role. This show - and this show's fans - deserved better.

Rest in well-deserved and honored peace, John Spencer. Adieu, West Wing.
88 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2017
It was a satisfying end of a series which I loved, but which was never as good in the last three years as it was in the first four years. I really missed Aaron Sorkin, but loved that he showed up as part of the inaugural onlookers in the last episode.
on April 5, 2007
I too had almost given up on this show that I loved so much, especially in the season just after Aaron Sorkin left. That season was so dreadful, that I will probably not watch the DVDs even though I own them.
The sixth season showed much improvement with the addition of Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits, and the return of intricate plotting and literate, sparkling dialogue. This last season, as others have mentioned, was nearly as good as the Sorkin years. Gritty, finely-tuned plotting,
risk-taking with such episodes as the Debate, (originally broadcast live), and the appropriate final developments in characters and plot.
Instead of thinking this show had overstayed its welcome, I found myself wishing that there would be another season. Bringing back the Rob Lowe (Sam Seaborn) character was a classy touch; I only wish there had been more scenes with him. These actors can, for the rest of their lives, be proud to have been associated with this program.
The additional features in the West Wing DVDs are always welcome, but there's not much here.
on December 9, 2010
I mean, nowadays you're supposed to be a cynic. You're supposed to prefer entertainment that is cynical. Or you're going to have people in your face, forcing you to do penance for "questionable tastes". And they won't let up on you until they've made you crawl; "You like THAT $#@&? What's WRONG with you?" One friend of mine told me; "That show should have aired on the Hallmark Network with all the other goody-goody #$%@", which as a critique was a bit better than usual. But this series depicted a Democratic President who wasn't really one of those lefties who loves criminals and America's enemies--he served real, decent Americans. Kind of an avuncular version of Bill Clinton, who I voted for both times, even though the second time through I'd switched to the Republican party. We got to see the absolutely right man to play Jed Bartlet in Martin Sheen. We got to see Alan Alda play a serious role. We even got to see John Goodman play a straight role, when he didn't have Alda's advantage of normally playing witty roles. Goodman is "slob comedy" in the true Steve Martin/ Jim Carrey tradition, but he nailed it. And we got to see a developing romance between Josh and Donna, two nice types who any lover would not hesitate to take home to meet Mama. I mean, usually TV or movie romances have "moved on" from the Cary Grant/ Deborah Kerr mold to a more "sophisticated" (which is to say "slightly tawdry, tempered by a bit of class") model. Josh and Donna were a what-if: what if soaps had good people rather than the decadent mean-sprited dreamboats they have now. I mean, when those two were on, the President Of the United States played a supporting role. I rooted for them week after week, and when Donna landed the job working for the new First Lady, taking her out of Josh's chain of command, legitimizing their romance, I went; "YESSS!!" like I'd been watching a sports event and there had just been a dazzling play. And dirty politics. There have always been dirty politics. Aaron Sorkin didn't build a never never land of naive decency--the dirty politics were there but they didn't rule Washington the way all the haters on the internet posts would have you believe. The fact that this series won all those Emmys is one of my best pieces of prima facie evidence that America isn't gone yet.
on April 14, 2017
All good things must come to an end..... loved this series.
on March 14, 2013
I absolutely love The West Wing. I can still watch it anytime and truly enjoy it. I would give the series overall a 5 out of 5. The seventh season I would have to give a 4 out of 5 though.

The overall story arc and the acting of both Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda are fantastic. Both of their characters are likable, interesting, and their race to the presidency is even balanced. I still felt this season fell a bit short on writing though. Some of the story lines were superficial, underdeveloped, or just unbelievable. So while I felt the season was good, there were definitely parts where I felt like I was being fed mediocre chow waiting for the main course. I have the same feelings about season 6.

I'd definitely recommend watching season 7, but don't expect the magic of seasons 1-3.