Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Wheat-Free Cook: Gluten-Free Recipes for Everyone
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 9, 2011
Well, the book has some good recipes and is ineed wheat free.
BUT most recipes are based on RICE and starch, which will simply drive you out of the frying pan into the fire. These recipes are generally HIGH CARB and will send your bloodsugar and insulin skyhigh and therefore will be very detrimental to your health. The author has obviously never heard about the GI (glycemic index) and advocates recipes that can lead to diabetes because of this bloodsugar triggering mechanism. Diabetes is one of silent killers in this country anyway.
The book is a good idea, wheat free is great, but must also be low-carb.
1616 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2007
Excellent Cookbook - high quality food. Have tried a handful of the recipes and all are excellent.
on October 23, 2009
This is a very nice Italian cookbook, with interesting insights into Italian food, comprehensible information on gluten and wheat issues and well-written recipes. While obviously a useful book for delicious gluten free cooking, it would be a nice addition to any cook's bookshelf. I have many cookbooks, and am able to eat gluten, but I find myself turning to this book when I want to make something appealing and delicious.
on May 2, 2010
I received this cookbook earlier this week, along with several other wheat-free cookbooks. My six year old son with food allergies had never had apple pie before today, and I was determined to make a safe one for him. This book did not contain my first choice of apple pie recipe, but when I didn't have enough brown rice flour on hand, I made Jacqueline Mallorca's apple pie with a rich cornmeal crust on page 185. It is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! The crust was crisp and much more flavorful than pie crusts containing wheat. I used Granny Smith apples and left out the raisins (not my son's favorite). I used Ener-G egg replacer in the crust as my son can't have eggs, either. OK, as I write this, my oldest son, who can have wheat, says he likes it! The pie was not too sweet. If this one recipe is a representation of what's to be expected from the rest of the book, I eagerly look forward to enticing my son to eat more foods! Thank you so much, Jacqueline Mallorca.
on December 23, 2009
I love to bake and was really sad when my husband developed a wheat allergy, then I found the "Wheat Free Cook". I've tried quite a few recipes and find them all delicious, so much so than I don't feel like I'm settling for the second rate. In many cases I prefer Ms. Mallorca's version to the wheat recipes. The pancakes are fantastic, not at all heavy and the carrot cake is like no other. Buy this book and bake wonderful desserts for all your friends and family.
on April 28, 2010
This cookbook includes two cakes, the almond-plum rice flour coffee cake and the almond and lemon cake, which I have now made multiple times. We cannot stop eating once we start and we fight over any last morsel. These cakes are so incredibly delicious. I wish I was making these long before this gluten-free situation. Can't wait to try the other bakery items, but we can't seem to move on from the cakes! Thank you! I highly recommend this cookbook.
VINE VOICEon June 18, 2009
The bread recipes in this book are worth the price of the book alone! Anyone who doesn't eat wheat knows how dense and un-flavorful these alternative breads taste. The recipes in this cookbook are easy to make and are moist and flavorful. I couldn't believe how lovely and delicious my long loaf of "Quick Flaxseed and Chickpea Baguette" bread came out! All of the ingredients can be found at your local Whole Foods. The recipes call for items such as yogurt (I substituted it for Redhill Farms Goat yogurt), eggs, xanthan gum and tapioca starch.

Since I'm allergic to rice and therefore rice flour, I substituted it with barley flour and the bread was delicious. I substituted the sweeteners for Agave syrup, and grind my own buckwheat flour in a Krups seed grinder.

Review Update 2013:
I have since substituted the barley for oatmeal flour made by grinding Bob's Red Hill gluten free oatmeal in my seed grinder, and eliminated the agave syrup. I added some paper thin sliced almonds with the skin on (Whole Foods) and a handful of raisins to add a little interest to it. I also bumped the water up from one cup to one and fourth cups which lightened the bread considerably and eliminated eggs using Egg Replacer. Plus the other secondary ingredients of course. As an alternative bread I made it with chickpea flour, added fresh thyme and sun flower seeds along with one and one fourth cup of water, plus the secondary ingredients of course. And baked it about 10-15 minutes longer because these flours are much denser than rice flour. All things considered, not bad at all when toasted. (I'm grateful to have some form of cracker/bread to eat!)

For those of you who don't eat dairy and miss the taste of butter, try "Earth Balance" Organic Natural Buttery Spread. It's quite amazing and not made with junk.
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2012
Has some basic information about gluten-free ingredient choices, some basic recipes and some interesting recipes, VERY few pictures of the recipes, 8 pictures in total. In fairness, the 8 pictures were in color and all looked very appetizing. There's a simplicity in the book, which might also translate to "not expensively made" (think coloring book quality paper except for the 4 color pages with the 8 pictures). I have yet to try the recipes, I'm mainly letting folks know who are looking through the various gf recipe book choices, what the deal is with the book. I ordered it as my first gf cookbook and it didn't really inspire me to jump right in with recipes like "Braised Oxtail", Ostrich burgers, and other slightly exotic choices (at least for me)...found it to be a bit of an odd compilation of recipes...not sure this is what I'd recommend to others who are new to gluten free cooking as their first gf cookbook...though I'm going to try out some of the recipes and will update this if I find that I was wrongly intimated by this particular cookbook. :-)
on March 14, 2012
Some Gluten free cookbooks need a warning for those whose memory of taste is still fresh. This doesn't. The food is tasty, flavourful and authentic Italian with or without the gluten free side.

I appreciate her work and I am finding my kindle making it's way into my kitchen a lot lately. Thank you Jaqueline for a wonderful book that gives me back Italian cuisine now that I've gone gluten free. I'm finding this book and Elisabeth Hasselbeck's Deliciously G Free, along with 20 Incredible Coconut flour recipes by Marissa Paine and Carol Fenster's 1000 gluten free recipes are the ones I refer to over and over again.
on December 13, 2009
I haven't made them all, but these are so good your wheat-eating guests will ask for the recipies. Try the pancakes, fruit cake, skillet bread, brownies (really the best ever), gingerbread, almond and lemon cake, rice bran muffins, poppy seed citrus loaf, almond-plum coffee cake, sausage and chestnut dressing, rustic seed bread, and hazelnut zebra cookies. These recipies are now standards at my house. They are easy to make with reliable outcomes. I am so glad to have Jaqueline's recipies to fill a gaping hole left when I could suddenly not tolerate wheat/gluten anymore.