Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 19, 2013
The topic of sex trafficking didn't shock or surprise me. I knew what the book was about and I'd read about it years earlier in Vanity Fair. What shocked me was that the USA paid Dyncorp millions and didn't make any requirements. The cops that Dyncorp hired were mostly fat, poorly-trained, and incompetent. All the other countries sent guys from their "national police" to work with the UN Peacekeepers. But not the guys Dyncorp hired. They weren't law enforcement professionals with rigorous training; they were fat, lazy, semi-literate southern lawmen who didn't even know how to take statements. Worse, they were the kind of men that would hold a woman accountable for her own rape. Bolkovac's superiors didn't want to give her extended leave to work for Dyncorp, and I can think of two reasons; first, they didn't want to lose a professional police officer (and have to rely on a less trained fat slob), and second, they probably knew something abotu Dyncorp that she didn't.

This is probably what you'll always get when you hire private contractors to any kind of defense or peacekeeping. Blackwater and Tripple Canopy delivered spotty results in Iraq, no better than what Dyncorp did in Bosnia. The difference is that in Bosnia, Dyncorp was part of the UN Peacekeeping force and they couldn't carry guns. Unarmed cops might do just fine in England, but in a place like Sarajevo, where guns are widely available, it's too dangerous to raid a sex-slave operation. We ended up paying half a billion dollars for Dyncorp to send s***heads to Bosnia, where the proceeded to get drunk, lay about, and pay for sex with minors.

The bottom line; the State Department shoudn't hire rent-a-cops for overseas work.
10 people found this helpful
on December 25, 2015
Sometimes squealing means healing when crimes are being committed with institutional protection. It can be heroic to speak out instead of letting dark secrets fester when people are being abused and hurt- instead of looking the other way. Maybe it won't change- but nothing can change until people at least know there's a problem. It must also be addressed that speaking out often puts the person who speaks in the same danger as the people already being abused. An engaging read.
One person found this helpful
on February 2, 2013
I gave her book five stars because she pursued high ideals, only to encounter corporate corruption of the highest magnitude that we all blindly believe doesn't dominate corporate America, yet $175,000 isn't going to stop or even slow down anyone. The book is entitled Whistleblower, but she merely sued her employer for retaliatory discharge. Why didn't she pursue a billion dollar claim under the Federal False Claim Act based on all of the fraud and mismanagement she witnessed daily? It does appear others following in her footsteps have, so she may deserve credit for leading the way, but still, these private civilian governments that the State Department created to export to Bosnia and Iraq, are a gigantic fraud upon the American taxpayer and the countries involved, on the same level as the 2008 trillon dollar financial bailout that ended up funding European banks, and they should all be sued and sued more often.
5 people found this helpful
on January 21, 2014
This was a very interesting book. I will admit that I probably would not have picked it up and read it on my own time because I am in to other types of books, however I am glad that my professor for my intro to women gender studies class had us read this. It is interesting to see how different parts of the government handle situations. Kathryn Bolkovac had an interesting story to tell and I am glad that she is brave enough to tell it. She had a unique experience with a company that is employed by the United States government I believe and it is amazing what she had to go through. I think that many people should read this because it kind of opens up the minds a little as to what is really going on in the world and the country.
on October 30, 2012
Kathryn Bolkovac's moving story, as recounted in The Whistleblower, makes for an interesting read on many levels. Her personal journey describes the struggle to fight for justice against government bodies that are supposed to protect innocent victims of war. Instead, Kathryn risks her career and her life to tell the stories of women and children who cannot speak for themselves. The story is thrilling and Kathryn's continued work provides hope for humanity and justice against people who abuse the powers that were meant to ensure universal freedoms and rights. Congratulations Kathryn for never giving up, for having the courage to fight institutions of power and for continuing to draw attention to this $32 billion dollar crime industry - our modern abolitionist movement. Rose
4 people found this helpful
on June 23, 2014
Kathryn Bolkovac pulls no punches as she tells the truth about one of the world's most sickening trades: Slave Trafficking. A book which will leave YOU drained and calling for justice for the innocent women, girls and boys whose lives are wrecked as a result of man's greed for money.
on February 11, 2018
Broke my heart.... from childhood ... I thought the UN was there to protect humanity...
Any & all involvement in sex trafficking should be punishable... no immunity for blue caps
Shame shame shame on these men ... either by active ir passive involvement...
thanks to Kathryn for have the COURAGE to bring this to light
on March 31, 2014
Appears the book was not vetted thoroughly before publication. However, I remember vaguely the reports coming out of eastern Europe about sex trafficking and the UN. This provided some excellent background leading to more extensive study of events in the late 90s and early 00s about eastern block countries. Ms Bolkovac's report on her experiences is a good read. I hope that she and her family are doing well.
on May 1, 2013
I have an interest in Human trafficking the how, why and where of it. Living in the city which is scheduled to host the "Super Bowl" in 2015, and knowing that event is notorious for drawing the human traffickers and the their victims to events like this, I need all the information I can get to be prepared to recognize it when I see it or suspect it. I recommend the book to all who would like to be able to help folks in the victim position.
on August 29, 2011
I study extremism. Sex trafficking & corruption help fuel criminal networks that either directly or indirectly impact my area of study. This book is important, intelligent, well written, & thoughtful. It discusses issues that, while unpleasant & deeply troubling, must be addressed in a significant way if we are to prevent the "cure" from becoming worse than the problems private contractors are tasked to solve. Thus, I highly recommend "The Whistleblower".
8 people found this helpful