Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on February 10, 2013
Update: After reading this book over more thoroughly, I found it a little less helpful than at first glance. The author seems very proud of himself, almost smug, for being able to successfully convince pregnant women to follow his suggestions. I found that rather weird. He does still seem credible, but that aspect just struck me as being odd. Also, as a person who believes strongly in evidence based research, I found it very concerning that some alternative remedies are listed alongside proven medical treatments with no differentiation between the proven effectiveness. I guess if you are someone who believes in things like homeopathy or naturopathy, this may be a good book for you. As someone who is more interested in concrete facts proven by reputable studies, it left me feeling a little uneasy. I will say though that it seems the author was very cautious to not include anything that could be considered harmful. I didn't purchase "What to Expect When You're Expecting" partly because of the poor reviews it got within this book review thread and on its own page. I was turned off by the claims that it was gossipy and silly, but when my mom got it for me, I actually ended up finding it to be more helpful and in some cases more fact based than the Whole Pregnancy Handbook!

The following comments I made previously about this book still apply:

I really liked how they included many different questions you should consider because it did make me think about things that previously hadn't occurred to me.

I didn't expect to care for the "real voices" but I actually found myself connecting with the other women who had doubts, fears, embarrassment as well as excitement and happiness. It added to the book's authenticity for me.

I was disappointed in some of the recommendations in the section about exercise. When I got the book, I immediately skipped to that section and looked at what they said about weight lifting. 3 to 5 pound dumbbells... really?? And nothing above 10lb... "honey can you lift this head of lettuce into the crisper for me? my weak pregnant body just can't handle it" While I get that women who have never done any sort of weight training may find this a non-intimidating entry into exercise; for someone who loves to exercise (including regularly lifting wights in the 100-200lb range) and finds that it adds to her overall health and sense of well-being- I find this recommendation overly simple and somewhat condescending. And with running, it just says to continue if you already do it and feel comfortable continuing. Are you sure? What about hill repeats? What about my long runs? My lactate threshold runs? This book doesn't seem to take into account that there are women out there who exercise beyond the occasional leisurely jog. (If you are looking for a great book with more detailed and realistic recommendations on exercising during pregnancy, I would urge you to read "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by Clapp.)

I did like the very detailed section on how to modify yoga for pregnancy.

Overall- I still think that this book is somewhat helpful and worth reading, but it's not my favorite.
on March 25, 2017
I like his scientific approach to the important aspects of prenatal nutrition, fetal development and such, mixed in with his holistic approach to a healthier mind-body connection. Great mixture of Eastern and Western philosophies.
on August 9, 2013
After going through a number of pregnancy books in print and on the Kindle, this is the only pregnancy book for me. It is thoughtfully written, and well balanced with informative Western medicine and a holistic approach. The tone is personal and informative and realistic. I really feel like I can trust Dr. Evans experience and gives careful thought to each and every page. As a yoga/meditation teacher, love the mindfulness exercises and think they are really approachable, grounded and helpful for anyone. I had found the more popular books (i.e. What to expect, Sears, Mayo etc) to be boring, repetitive and condescending, and the books that introduced a more natural approach were too out there for me. If you are like me and appreciate Western medicine with a balanced, mindful, holistic approach to pregnancy, then you will enjoy this book.
on June 21, 2017
Thank you for the countless pieces of valuable information. Must read, well balanced book?
on February 29, 2008
I thought I was pretty well studied on pregnancy until I read this book, now I know I had a lot to learn! I have had the book for 48 hours and am already 150 pages into it. Besides being incredibly informative and interesting, it is written in a descriptive way that allows a layperson to better understand the more confusing subjects. The book covers all areas of pregnancy. So far, the areas I have found incredibly helpful are how to prepare for pregnancy (physically, mentally, and emotionally), how ovulation works, determining if a doctor, midwife, or doula is best for me and what questions to ask these people, herbs, vitamins, and medicines to take and avoid. This book offers non bias details on each type of birth, birthing practices, medications, medical procedures, etc. It is also organized in a way that you can read it from front to back, or use it as a reference book. I can't say enough about it!
on July 21, 2017
Great book!
on October 16, 2013
I really like this book, it's excellent and offers moms advice and suggestions from a traditional and alternative medical perspective. The one thing that I had hoped for was longer descriptions of what is happening each week. I know that this information is readily available online from a variety of sites, but I still prefer to read from a book! It does offer sound nutrition advice and there a lot of remedies for common pregnancy ailments as well as what to take for colds, etc. I would highly recommend this book, especially to first time moms!
on September 13, 2016
Enjoyable because it is non-medically minded. It would be great if an alternative baby care book was written in an easy to follow format. This one has decent info. Prefer a quick glance type for a busy mom with baby!
on December 11, 2015
Love the approach - reassuring to know different options and helps you understand the importance of keeping an open mind. There is a calming tone to this book and the author encourages you to take some time to ask yourself questions rather than telling you how or what to think/feel.
on May 29, 2010
This handbook is great! It talks about all of the stages of pregnancy, goes over every ache and pain and discusses nutrition just like ever other handbook. What you get with this book, that you don't get with others, is science in a non judgmental and informative way. Everyone from home-birthers to scheduled C-Sections can feel at home reading this book. It describes ways to treat problems naturally and with over the counter drugs. This book talks about dealing with the loss of a pregnancy as well as trying to get pregnant. It covers it all! I used this book with my two kids and regularly suggest it to others.