Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on January 6, 2016
After viewing the recent "Wiz" production, I was absolutely floored and disappointed. I immediately went to Amazon to order this version which is the epitome of excellence.

I was fortunate to see the original Broadway play back in 1975 I remain excited about being apart of the audience to witness a fantastic production.

The Wiz movie, The Wiz recent production, in my opinion only pales greatly in comparison to this wonderful soundtrack which I have in vinyl.

Love, love, love this soundtrack!!!
HALL OF FAMEon April 18, 2007
THE WIZ is an endlessly-delightful soul/R&B musical reworking of "The Wizard of Oz", with both music and lyrics written by Charlie Smalls. Never has it been more perfectly performed than on the original 1975 Broadway cast album.

Stephanie Mills adds lots of lush, glossy vocals to her role of Dorothy; especially in the moving finale "Home" (which became Mills' theme song during the ensuing years). Mills also scores with "Soon As I Get Home", and "Be a Lion".

Playing Dorothy's misfit band of friends down the Yellow Brick Road are the superbly talented Hinton Battle as the Scarecrow, Ted Ross as the Cowardly Lion, and Tiger Haynes as the Tin Man.

Dee Dee Bridgewater plays the good witch Glinda, and her "If You Believe" is truly inspirational. Mabel King plays Evillene, the wicked witch, and she brings a soulful and sassy edge to her big number "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News". Andre de Shields plays The Wiz himself.

This crisp recording is a great reminder of this truly classic Broadway production, which won seven Tony Awards (including Best Musical), and went on to run for over 700 performances.

You'll find yourself hitting the 'repeat' button for Stephanie Mills' "Home", and it will definitely stay on high-rotation in your CD player! A must for all Broadway fans.

[Atlantic/WEA 18137-2]
on February 1, 2016
I originally had this soundtrack on cassette when I bought the DVD version of the 1978 movie version of The Wiz (with Diana Ross and Michael Jackson) years ago. After watching and enjoying The Wiz Live! recently, I decided to go back and buy this item for comparison, and because after listening to it, reminding myself how great the original material is.
on June 14, 2017
CD came in excellent condition. I have been enjoying it frequently.
on March 27, 2014
I ordered this CD since I had just watched the movie "The Wiz" (with Diana Ross). Eventhough this movie has been around for a log time, I didn't want to watch it because I truly loved the original play sound track! Well, I must say that I was disappointed in the musical numbers because the songs didn't have the oomph of the original. This CD brings back lots of memories of the 80's and will keep it in my collection!
on January 27, 2017
I saw this play, with Ms. Mills in New York, and it was super good, it was the somewhat beginning of it all. Super Great Show, sorry you might have missed it.
on February 22, 2016
I never had the opportunity to see the original play. My granddaughter and I listened to this CD and imagined we were there in the audience. At age 10, my granddaughter loves Stephanie Mills' voice. We treasure this CD.
on November 2, 2008
"The Wiz" made its Musical Broadway debut in 1975 (though I've been told there was another, slightly different one, in 1974.

The Making-Of the Wiz Movie on both DVDs mentions how the music was completely redone for the film - and they were right! I'm more used to the movie version than the original Broadway, but I do agree that Stephanie Mills' etc version has quality and better appearance. Compared to the movie, some songs have been changed in words and tone, the songs are performed a bit quicker here than the film, but - listening again now, as a reminder for this review - is certainly great!! One other thing is Stephanie Mills' singing: she's great and certainly younger than Diana, but I can't help but feel how she sings (like 'Home'), like it's in her jaws or cheeks - but that's just because I've grown with Diana's version more than Steph's.

The "Prologue" is 20 seconds of introduction with 'Ease on Down the Road', before Aunt Em sings "the Feeling We Once Had". Too bad there aren't any photos of the "Tornado", because this scene's soundtrack is EXCITING!! When Addaperle and the (grown-up, not young) Munchkins sing "He's the Wizard", it takes a bit getting used to while Stephanie Mills' "Soon As I Get Home" being sung quickly instead of fast like Diana Ross are still both good to hear. Scarecrow's origin song "I Was Born On the Day Before Yesterday" has a real 'Hallejuiah! Thank the LORD" feel, before we are swept away by the popular "Ease on Down the Road" again and again (played only once on this CD, but can be easily repeated by us listeners and our Players), though oddly it has all 4 friends and should've been placed as track 8 or 9; Tiger Haynes Lively urges to "Slide Some Oil To Me" and Ted Ross insists that "I'm A Mean Ole Lion", before Dorothy comforts him to "Be A Lion" in a duet. TOO BAD THERE IS NO EMERALD CITY SCORE, though Andre de Shields does comment on how the friends "So You Wanted to Meet the Wizard" - chilling and excitingly heart-beating; it is HERE that Tin Man sings "What Would I do If I Could Feel?" to the Wiz asking for a Heart.
Evillene demands that "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News" (more voice and less gruff like she would in the film), before her death allows "Everybody Rejoice", that popular and ever-energetic 'Brand New Day' (as much as 'Ease on Down the Road') song. When the Wiz sings "Y'All Got It!", that's another great song with energy and fast-paced excitement. Glinda sings "If You Believe" as a comforting lullaby of sorts to Dorothy, before she finishes and ends the soundtrack with a wonderful "Home" (here was where a few words were changed for the film very obviously).

Although a Broadway Soundtrack, there is no audience applause, unless you count it possibly done by the Winkies in 'Don't Nobody Bring me No Bad News'.

The soundtrack runs around 45 minutes. The disk has a red and black circle with the songs listed, info details and symbols, like a Classical CD.

Inside the soundtrack, there is a booklet (the cover illustration by Milton Glaser) that contains a listing of the songs, notice on this upbeat adaptation, the crew involved with the music, and the synopsis (and who plays who) over 3 pages by William F. Brown. The only picture/photo is that of Hinton Battle, Stephanie Mills, Ted Ross and Tiger Haynes as Scarecrow, Dorothy, Lion and Tin Man "walking" towards us in colour.

If you've grown up, or are more aware of the movie's version and know little of the original stage production, this CD is worth getting and listening to, as this is how "the Wiz" should be heard, seen, made and experienced . . . full of Life, Colour and SOUL!!
on March 21, 2016
My wife has always enjoyed the original music from this show. I bought this CD for her and she listens to it often. A great mix of music.
on August 17, 2016
The best music ever. Wish I could find the DVD from this Wiz production with Stephanie Mills as Dorothy.