Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary
Format: DVD|Change

on July 3, 2015
This review is written by someone who has LOVED "The Wizard of Oz" all of her fairly long life (as have the great majority of people on the planet—both above and below the ground). So, I do not have to write a review of one of the greatest cinematic masterpieces of all time. My review is for this DVD's appearance on my television. I've just finished watching and can honestly say that the colors are more vibrant than I've ever witnessed. Of course. the dozens and dozens of times I've seen this film has been on network television or on my VCR; I now have a lovely HD TV and there is no comparison. The splendor of this "75th Anniversary Edition" is exquisite.

In addition, the sound could not be more perfect. In fact, everything about this DVD is just extraordinary. And, on top of that, my granddaughter not only watched this with me but sat there as we explored one of the many 'extras' to listen to the songs over and over so she could memorize them. Nothing is sweeter than having the apple of your eye singing, "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead" or "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" as we're riding in a car.

My late mother, who was born in 1926, counted this movie as one of her favorites and could not wait to share it with her 4 children. I loved watching it with my 2 kids and now, another generation feels the same way. There is nothing worse than building up something and having that person say, 'meh' whether it's a restaurant or an attraction or a movie. So, it makes me happy that someone I adore also gives her stamp of approval on this movie that I hold so dear.
44 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2018
One of the best films of all time has never looked better! Absolutely incredible and jaw dropping 3D conversion that in no way seems like a cheap ploy to get fans to buy another version of this timeless film. The steelbook alone would make it worth the purchase, but the 3D work done is second to none, and is as of now my absolute favorite 3D conversation that I have ever seen. If you have a 3D setup (and you hopefully do!), then this is a must own.
on October 10, 2014
This 75th anniversary Wizard of Oz DVD is a must-have. Here, the fully restored picture delivers crisp, clear and vivid images that the technology of past decades couldn't produce. It was like watching the movie for the very first time, which is an exciting thing for a movie that I've seen countless times. If that wasn't enough, we're treated to a very long and extremely interesting second disc that features many chapters pertaining to the making/evolution of the movie, interviews, unused footage, etc. It's truly mesmerizing material for the Oz aficionado. For a modest price, this DVD is pure entertainment for hours. Add this to your great movies collection.
on November 12, 2017
Bought this for my granddaughter (5) because she wanted to see it. We watched it all the way through once. I had to keep assuring her that the Wicked Witch was really the grumpy lady on the bicycle and all the other characters were people from the farm. She told her parents it gave her nightmares so they warned me about her feelings. A couple of month later she was spending the night again and asked if she could watch the movie again. As soon as the Witch appeared, she told me to turn it off and she thought she might want to see it again when she's 12 or 13.
My experience was enlightening. I didn't remember some of the details so it was a good refresher.
on September 13, 2017
They did an awesome job restoring this for the 75th Anniversary edition. My 2.5 year old is obsessed and won't watch anything else...our old VHS didn't make it past a couple of viewings before it I got to see this compared to the 50th Anniversary VHS and the quality is night and day. Beautiful restoration. I haven't gotten to watch any of the special features yet because the little one just wants to watch this over and over and over and over and over again. :)
on June 23, 2017
This is a great boxed set for any fan. Lots of extras. Plus it is the 70th anniversary "Emerald" Edition which makes it a great collectible. The cast clips are great. Some I had never seen before. Great commentary tracts that contain audio clips of the stars and background people along with lots of Interesting information. Lots to enjoy!
on July 26, 2017
Oh, what a delight! "Somewhere, over the rainbow..." The songs were so delightful, I downloaded the soundtrack immediately after watching.

I never watched WOZ until now. Big mistake. Should have been watching every year since infanthood. There is so much wonderfulness, warmth, humanness, good values here. I need to rewatch with a pen in hand so I can capture all the smart lines and hang them on my wall.

It's an older movie, so the cinematic aspect can be improved. However it's as good as it gets.

Note: the movie starts out in sepia tones but soon changes to color.
on October 12, 2017
What to say about this classic movie that so many of us have grown up with? We all know the story of how young Dorothy travels to the Land of Oz via a tornado that hits her home farm. Once there, she discovers that she has inadvertently killed the Wicked Witch of the East, and the witch's sister vows revenge. In order to escape the witch and find her way home, Dorothy sets out to the Emerald City to consult the great Wizard of Oz. On her way, she teams up with some unlikely friends, which include a talking scarecrow, a woodsman made of tin, and a lion whose courage has given out on him. This is the movie that made Judy Garland a legend, and put the song "Over the Rainbow" into the American lexicon. There have been many stories put out about events behind the scenes of the film in the last few years, some of them not so rosy, but the film itself is and remains a cinema classic. Even today, its sets, music, and characters still hold their charm.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 11, 2017
What can you say about the movie that hasn't already been said hundreds of times. It is deservedly a classic. I will only say that this particular Blu-Ray edition is well done. The images are sharp, even on our large screen TV, and the sound is brilliant - not muddy or washed out like some renderings of classic movies. All in all, I am very pleased to have this in our library.
on December 16, 2013
I grew up in a time where the Wizard of Oz was shown once every year near the holiday season. Much like a Charlie Brown Christmas this is one of my fondest childhood memories/traditions. The movie speaks for itself so I'll comment on the gift set. The book is really nice with great photos/information, the print is great and is frameable but since it's part of a collector's set I doubt anyone is really going to take it out of the box except to look at it. You get the blu ray with the regular 2d move as well as 3d and a dvd version as well, you also get a bonus feature with tons of extras as well as many extras on the main disc itself. There is also a bonus dvd of the Warner Bros. story with Patrick Stewart narrating.

you also get three pins one each for the three heroes. One is for courage, one is fore a heart, and the other is the diploma representing intelligence. You also get a very nicely bound journal with a nice cover and beautifully illustrated cover page. However since this is for a collection, who would actually use the journal? It might have been better if it would have been a faux journal written by Dorothy detailing her adventures in oz. Of course I have read the novels so I know in the novels it wasn't just a dream as in the movie, but it would have been nice if the journal would have touched on her further adventures as well. You also get a mazp of Oz, which is a treat for fans of the movies as well as fans of the books.

Included here is a usb drive that looks like the Wicked Witch's legs. This is an amazon it's best to buy this set here.

there is also a companion book that I would suggest you buy, it has tons of information on the making of the movie as well as tons of pictures. Some of the info overlaps with the book in this set as well as includes information you might hear in the documentaries, but it's very nice and includes a lot of little inserts that are great. Such as the death notice for the Wicked Witch. it was a rather strange addition to a story that's delighted kids for ages, but I guess if any child gets scared at night thinking about the witch you can just show him or her the paper.:)

Overall a great addition to any movie library with great collectibles. a must have for any fan of the movie.

One last note, I see sometimes on Amazon that people will give the product low stars for something damaged in shipment or something the manufacturers screwed up. This is a forum for people wanting to know about the products not about a bad experience with an order. I will add that I did have an issue with this order, and Amazon took care of me, as they always do. That's why I purchase so much from Amazon. You are always guaranteed the best customer service. That being said, I still feel people should leave those types of comments in emails to amazon and just talk about the product itself in the review, it will make life better for those who are thinking of buying it. Not every item is going to be damaged or missing something, in fact it's very rare. so order with confidence, Amazon will always make good on their promises.