Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 144 reviews
on February 2, 2015
A compelling story - had me fascinated until the end. Love the way the story and the pictures work so well together. Beautifully (and appropriately) illustrated in a truly unique way that sort a combination of painting and collage. Might be a bit scary for kids who are of the age where they still believe in Santa (whatever that age may for the individual kid). But for those a little beyond that and with the new ability to discern reality from fiction (maybe 8 or 9?) - this book should be a fun and scary read. Its perfect for a parent to read out loud as well. One of the best picture books I have ever come across!
on May 16, 2013
This book leaves me in an uncomfortable position of being unable to possibly gush enough about it while simultaneously at a loss for words worthy to describe it.

Put simply: I now know what the very best picture book ever written is.

So I'll start with the pictures: McKean's artwork is beautiful; both strangely abstract and touchingly real. I won't even begin to question how he did it, but a part of me can't help wondering how it's even *possible*.

And Gaiman's story? It's the shortest of his work I've ever read, yet it's absolutely complete, with nothing left hanging loose (except of course the parts that SHOULD be loose). I don't want to reveal more than that; it has a wonderful "surprise-that-should-have-been-obvious" quality.

Put simply: if you even THINK you might like to read this book, whether for yourself or someone else, just slip it in your next order. You'll be glad you did.
on May 5, 2007
I don't think I really fell in love with this book until I started reading it aloud to my daughter. I remember reading it to myself first and thinking it was clever and witty and had beautiful illustrations, but when I read it for her for the first time I found myself taking on the different voices of the characters and making sounds effects and really letting the story take us both elsewhere for a while.

It's a simple story: young Lucy hears noises in the walls of her house, and she is convinced that there are wolves living there. None of her family believes her and dismiss her concerns, but she maintains her belief. When the wolves (of course they really are there!) come out of the walls, they do what any wolves would do -- chase the family away and take over the house, wearing the family's clothes and playing video games and eating toast and jam in front of the television with the volume as loud as it would go. The family, with nowhere else to go but led by clever Lucy, has to take their turn inside the walls of their house.

It is as smart, funny, and canny of a book as we might expect from Gaiman (who is often at his best when writing in the short form like this) and is accompanied perfectly by McKean's unique style of illustration, well suited to the story.

But as good as it is, believe me when I say it gets ten times better when you read it aloud for someone. Watching a child's eyes as they get engrossed in the story, as they get excited in the parts where the wolves finally appear, as they sparkle with laughter when they see what the wolves are doing, is its own brand of magic. Once they learn the story (which does not take long, Gaiman makes it easy for them), you'll find them reading parts of it with you, like the repeated statement about what happens when the wolves come out of the walls: "It's All Over!"

My youngest daughter now requests that I read 'The Wolves in the Walls' to her nightly, and if that doesn't tell you this is a great book for kids, nothing else will. And, because I love it too and I love reading it to her, I do.

This is a very, very special book to us.
on May 13, 2017
Anything by Neil Gaiman is worth your time and attention! He brings characters to life in a way that no one else does. The characters are relatable with imaginative stories. My goal is to collect all of his books, so this purchase was part of that goal.
on March 29, 2014
After several LONG car trips with our 4-year old who wanted to listen to the audio version of this over and over and over and OVER we got him this book version. He loves it just as much and the illustrations are amazing. The story is told from the point of view of a little girl named Lucy, whose parents and older brother don't believe her when she hears wolves in the walls... and is proved to be right! Lucy leads her family through the adventure and is a lovely heroine that children will identify with. Neil Gaiman is one of our family's favorites, whether writing for children or adults. Another point: we've found that our son is very happy if we put on the audio version and he can turn the pages of the book and have it "read" for him by the author himself.
on July 30, 2013
I could infinitely gush about the brilliance of Neil Gaiman, but I'd only be telling you something you already know. That being said, I loved this "kids" book. But it's not. Not really. The appeal of Gaiman is his ability to tap in to the child inside of you and allow you go back to your childhood for a brief moment. It's at that moment you can suspend disbelief and let yourself nod that "Yes, there easily could be wolves in the wall."

This book was charming, witty and danced along delicious words at a delightful pace. I'll be sharing it with my four-year old nephew and 53-year-old mother.
on March 23, 2017
great book for 4TH and 5th graders.....great to read out loud !
on June 8, 2017
I love all his books. And the morals.
on October 7, 2016
Love this book. Great for children. The art work is beautiful.
on January 11, 2007
Gaiman-McKean, superb combination as usual.
Honestly, I don't read picture books, but I bought this cute book
to my girlfriend, (as a present for a New Year) because she is also an illustrator and she makes that kind of stuff. (She liked it).
But let's get back to the book.
Mr. McKean's artwork is fascinating as always.
Nice mix of photos, paintings and drawings.
Storyline is crazy, like some short trip into dreamworld.
I won't describe it ofcourse, you can get it from the net.
I liked the balance between the light and the dark part of book.
The light part is when everything was still allright, (before the wolves came), and the dark part is afterwards.
McKean gives us a nice light colours in the beginning, and later, takes us to the night and chills of this interesting short story.
I didn't read much stuff by Mr. Gaiman, (I prefer King, Barker etc) except those Sandman series, and other comix and graphic novels, that I liked also, but never his books and his picture books.
This is first pic book I saw, and I must say that it's great, really.
As an graphic novels author and comics teacher I prefer that kind of stuff, but I'll say to you, give it a try, it's OK for the collection,if you like the work of Dave McKean and Neil Gaiman.
But remember, it's for children!