Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 174 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 180 reviews
VINE VOICEon May 2, 2010
I write blog reviews for The Kindle Blog Report, and am branching out into reviewing books available for Kindle.

Since the publishers of this ebook don't list its contents I'll list them for you here (The book itelf does have the TOC hotlinked):

Edgar Allan Poe (bio)
Death of Edgar Allan Poe (bio)
The Unparalleled Adventures of one Hans Peall
The Gold Bug
Four Beasts in one - the homo-camel-leopard
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
THe Mystery of Marie Roget
THe Baloon-Hoax
Ms Found in a Bottle
The Oval Portrait
11 comment| 471 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2016
Poe's works are wonderful as always. When I'm in a particular 'spoopy' or gothic mood, these short stories are the first I whip out for an easy read before bed or on the bus ride to work. This particular copy has LOTS of spelling errors and omitted words all together (replaced with ?? or &?- and so on and so forth) as well as completely omitted names and dates. So if you don't mind being a little confused at first by who's talking about who, then this is worth what you paid (for me it was nothing at the time.) But if you can find a better version, I'd recommend taking the time and money.
on January 14, 2016
It's Poe, who doesn't love that! I don't like to write too much in book reviews because I feel that in order to adequately write a review, I would have to give away information that would be key to plot. I don't like to be the person to give away spoilers. Therefore my book reviews are always very short and only say a few things in order to tell you, book reviews are much to subjective and I never read a book review before I read a book. I read a book based on what the book is about which I don't read a review to get. If you want more information, buy the book and read it. :)
on December 29, 2012
In high school, Poe was probably my favorite American author, and reading him again more than 40 years later, I am reminded why. Like any art, every time or generation has its style, and each has its strength. In Poe's day, the English language was more important to writers. Poe's writing is full of words you may never see elsewhere. You get the distinct feeling he loved words and he certainly knows how to put them together. His Dupin puts you in mind of Sherlock Holmes (Doyle mentions him in one of his stories, though his Holmes suggests Dupin is an amatuer by comparison). Poe worked hard on the details as you can tell by the adventure of Hans Pfaall, and writes technically well. At the same time, he succeeds in bringing characters to life and describes scenes to the point that you feel like you are there. When I read something like this I am reminded why they call them "classics" in the first place. Can't wait to do volume two and favorites like "The Raven" and "Fall of the House of Usher."
on October 5, 2015
Just started to read .So far, I love it. Intelligent,articulate, and informative.did I say, entertaing. Fan of Poe or not you will enjoy. Great value learning about the man.
on March 14, 2017
Didn't get to read it
on April 13, 2017
Spot on
on May 11, 2017
love
on January 6, 2017
Purchased as a free ebook.
on July 27, 2017