Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Customer reviews

The World As We Know It
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 9, 2014
It's taken me a few days to get this review written, just because it's hard to know what to say about a book that you love so much. I just loved everything about this book. The storyline was great, the characters were loveable, the writing was absolutely poetical, and I just could not put it down (once I actually had time to read it!).

I'm recommending this book to pretty much everyone I know, I loved it so much. It was the first book by this author I've read, and am now looking forward to checking out more of his novels.
on January 11, 2017
It was a basic good story. Started out like a Hallmark movie (would be perfect for their genre of movies). Some parts of the writer's plot were inept (two teenagers kissing themselves to the nth degree but not moving into sex until about 17. Hard to believe). Nevertheless, it was a good read.
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2012
I've been on a streak of reading so-so books, so "The World As We Know It" was a wonderful breath of fresh air. I enjoyed every page. Author Joseph Monninger writes beautifully and the characters are richly drawn. We care about them deeply and feel their emotional highs and lows. The story takes place over many years and explores the deep bond between two brothers and the girl they save from drowning when they are children. I was moved to tears several times, stayed up late reading it and didn't want it to end. This is the first of Joseph Monninger's books that I have read, and I will definitely be reading the others.
on September 1, 2012
This book's strength lies in the portrayal of places and nature, and their role in the development of the relationships of the characters. We lived in New Hampshire for 10 years, a place that still lives in my heart, and which thrives in this book. The author's love of the northern world (as we know it) shines through in the lovely descriptions of the Baker River, and of the Arctic. If only the people had been as interesting! In its portrayal of men against the Arctic, this book pales next to Dan Simmon's The Terror...but that's a book my book club would never read, alas.
on March 13, 2012
I really enjoyed this book! It was so sweet and heartbreaking. I kept waiting for the characters to disappoint me, but they never did...even in their weakest moments. I did not think the book was too heavily weighted on the description of the setting. The setting almost became an extra character. It was simple and beautiful. The book was a quick read and I will think about the characters long afer the last page.
on August 2, 2016
The first half of the book was a delightful "coming of age" story, but by the end I thought I was reading a Nicholas Sparks.
on February 23, 2012
All I can say is unbeleiveable! Mr Monninger was a High School English teacher of mine in the late 70's. When I saw that he had authored some books I had to read one. I am hooked! Never would I have thought that I would enjoy a "love story," but this was so much more. The depth of emotion, and the reality of the characters made them seem like old friends to me. Depsite the tears, I didnt want it to end.
on October 9, 2014
Beautifully written! Loved it from beginning to end. One of the few books that I never "skimmed" when it gets boring. I have purchased another one of Joseph Monniger's books. I highly recommend this book and will be sharing my book among family and friends.
on August 9, 2016
Some things were predictable, and a bit too slow in parts. Overall, I enjoyed it.
on May 15, 2016
Great love story. The descriptions of New Hamphire and Wyoming were wonderful. I connected.