BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Dirty Heads Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

The World's Columbian Exposition: The Chicago World's Fair of 1893
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 10, 2017
An excellrnt wy to "attend" this extraordinary and amazing creation! Read this, in case you missed it!!! It is an amazing American
story of determination and success!

I ordered this fine book as a result of reading "DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY" Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair That
Changed America! Awell written fascinating story about this unbelievable fair!.
on May 24, 2016
After having read the excellent book, "Devil in the White City". I wanted to see the scenery of the World''s Fair, as described in the book. The photography and descriptions are very good, most of which were taken professionally for the fair's administrators. It is fascinating to read about what the architects/builders were able to accomplish in a short time.
on December 2, 2015
At first I was like..."what, no color pictures??" Then I was like..."oh yeah, 1893 photography..."

This is a great reference book and fun to read. I bought it to be somewhat of a secondary guide while I read "Devil in the White City". I like imagining what all the buildings look like, but since "Devil" is a non-fiction book I wanted to be fully immersed in the real details.
on July 14, 2010
This is probably the best book ever written for the general reader about a world's fair. The spacious photos take you there, and the narrative informs you about everything - and duzn't waste a word! I have no hesitation - I'll send it to my brother in Brooklyn (who shares my interest in sociology, trains, etc.) After reading all of the story, I recommend that you give a second, leisurely look at the photos. And I think you'll have an uncanny feeling that you have visited the Chicago World's Fair yourself! I remember going to the 1950s Chicago Fair, called "Wheels 'a Rolling" on transportation, but I guess nobody wrote it up.
on May 18, 2016
The great pictures allow you to see and imagine what the 1893 Columbian Exposition looked like. There is also a lot of great information about the Fair and the buildings.
on August 23, 2013
Love the history of the years and seeing the architecture. In my work, I write about Arabian horses. Some were part of the "Wild East Show" on the Midway; when they were auctioned, some became the basis for much of the Arabian breed in the United States. A good companion to the book "The Devil in the White City," which tells the story of a serial killer active at that time.
on July 7, 2016
A good book about planning, construction and architecture and the sad loss of those. Mostly about the spectacular architecture and big exhibits.
on March 29, 2013
This oversized book is beautiful. I have read much about the Columbian Exposition, but never have I read such a thorough accounting of the event. The pictures are wonderful. The book is educational and entertaining, a fond memory of America at its greatest point in history.
on January 26, 2015
This is a superb book about a remarkable event. The photos and descriptions really bring the Exposition to life. To imagine that it happened in 1893 and what it did - amazing.
on July 24, 2016
Good info and super illustrations