Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2006
I've been practicing with Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga DVD for some time now and decided to get this kit...Glad I did!

You get a CD that includes a 1-hour Yin Yoga practice. I like the sequence and there is a 1-minute Savasana after each of the 9 postures which is very nice to get in touch with your Qi (chi). Each Yin Yoga posture is held for 5 minutes. There is a final relaxation and Metta meditation. I like Biff Mithoefer's voice/instructions and he doesn't talk too much.

Here are the postures on the CD:

Half Butterfly ( 2 sides)

Seal

Frog

Shoelace (2 sides)

Saddle

Spinal Twist (2 sides)

The only thing I don't like is that Seal is placed during the beginning of practice, but since I can load this on my iPod it's easy to change the sequence how I want.

You also get a Yin Yoga book which I like very much. It is easy reading and easy to understand. There is discussion on Yin and Yang, Qi, the Taoist meridian system, the Tantric chakra system, and describes each of the postures and their associated meridian that are stimulated.

You also get 14 posture cards. They are double-sided, heavy duty, plastic coasted. They include a photo and desciption of the posture on one side and variations and meridians stimulated on the other. At the end of the book are some sample practices and you can arrange the cards in the order of the specific practice that suits you for the day. On the CD is a 5-minute timer so you can create your own individual practice with the cards and the timer.

I practice Yin yoga several days a week. I recommend practicing gentle yoga like this in the morning. If you can get up an hour early it will help with your daily life once you get used to the regular, daily practice.

This is a great price on Amazon and I think well worth the money for both beginners and people that are already familiar with Yin Yoga. Please check my other yoga and meditation reviews on Amazon along with Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga DVD (another good one that I recommend). Namaste'
22 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2015
I have purchased used kit from Amazon that was described to be in a very good condition, which it was. This kit has a book, cards with pictures, names and desriptions of the poses and DVD. basically, if you want to self practice, this kit will provide you with all the tools you need to do your yin practice. Personally, I always attended workshops for yin practice. Teacher would play nice, calm music during practice. Since poses are held for extended period of time, I had teachers who used aromatherapy mists, oils and towels during practice. These provide practitioner wilth additional sense of well being and relaxation.

Book provides step by step sequencing for 60 minute, 90 minute and extended yin practice. Very useful kit. I will be goign to it frequently to refresh sequencing and perfect poses alignment that I teach to my students.
on October 31, 2013
As a Yoga Teacher I can say I really love this kit and feel it is well put together and a great resource for Yin Yoga.

Book
14 Cards
CD

The book covers details of the postures, meridians and energy centers of the body. There are diagrams of the meridians as well as some acupressure points that are accessible during the yin practice.

In "The Yin Yoga Postures" section each pose is explained with care and detail with many options for helping a beginner or advance yogi to get into position. There are photos with and without props as well as variations of the pose. They also show the diagrams for each meridian stimulated at the end of each pose explanation (which is helpful so you don't have to turn back to the section that diagrams them out, unless you just want to see it bigger) He also has a diagram at the end of each pose to show which Chakras are most affected.

The Anatomy section covers the connective tissue, the sacrum and lumbar spine, muscles in the iliopsoas, tension and compression, as well as the movement of the hips and spine.

At the end of the book there are some sample practices with photos as a reminder of what each pose looks like.
on January 28, 2014
I was honored to take a week-long Yin Yoga course from the author of this kit. I ordered the kit after the class. The kit (consisting of a DVD, a pb book, and a set of very handy cards (3 inch x 3 inch, sturdy) with Yin poses on one side, and brief comments on the other side) is well worth the money, bringing back the useful information learned in class. The cards are especially helpful, as I arrange them prior to teaching class, then just follow them when leading the class.

For those who don't know, Yin yoga works the connective tissues, whereas most other Yoga works muscles. The approaches to the two types of yoga are different, the philosophy is different, and the results are different. Most students who first hear of Yin yoga believe they will not like it. However, in my experience, most students begin to prefer (older students) Yin yoga over other yoga, or at least wish to keep it up (younger students) after having tried it.
on October 22, 2010
I am somewhat experienced with taking yoga classes, but wanted something I could do at home in addition, or as an alternative to a class. Yin yoga works well for me -- I am not flexible, and this form of yoga has increased my flexibility more than any other type. I enjoy using the CD in the kit because I can just follow his suggestions, rather than having to think! The narrative offers suggestions for alternative positions, which is good for me because I am not very flexible and can't do the poses in the "ideal" way. Unlike others who reviewed this kit, I found the sound quality to be just fine. The flashcards will be useful when I am out of town -- they don't take up much space in the suitcase, but have enough info to remind me what to do. I am very pleased with the kit and would recommend it to anyone wanting to add yin yoga to their exercise practice.
on November 15, 2015
I love this set. It's the perfect tool to start a home yin yoga practice. The cards show two people in each pose- one with modifications and one with the full pose. This is the only yin book I had for two years. It covers all of the essential information.
on February 29, 2016
This is the first time the muscles of my back have relaxed in over a week! And I couldn't even do all of the postures. So, I highly recommend this form of yoga, which was totally new to me, and this set, particularly the audio CD. Extremely helpful for the person who may not be in perfect physical condition. I became ill immediately following the death of my husband and was ill off and on for the next several years. So this is perfect for those in a similar condition.
on May 25, 2007
This box set is very well designed and works well for even reluctant yoga participants (like myself). The book explains things in great detail...more details than I needed but some folks might appreciate them. I also think it will take me a long time to "out grow" it since there is so much information there. I find the CD most helpful because I can focus on my own practice instead of trying to watch someone else on a video or at the front of a class. It is set up so you can either listen to Biff on the first 12 tracks as if you are taking a yoga class from him, checking with the cards as needed, or simply repeat the 13th track as a gentle timer for your poses. I especially like the way Biff emphasizes the importance of listening to your own body instead of trying to change things all the time. A good life lesson as well.
on May 17, 2017
a good resource
on December 5, 2011
I have met Biff personally and followed his guidance first hand. He is gentle, knowledgeable and thorough. Then, taking the book into my deep introspective personal practice I discovered more and more about, not only Yin Yoga, but new horizons into all forms. If you haven't tried this approach to Yin Yoga and have no one close to take you there this book will definitely help. Yin Yoga is practical and approachable. For anyone. And, as a yoga teacher and experienced practitioner myself I believe even the most advanced practitioner should include at least one session of Yin Yoga weekly. I have seen other experienced yogis absolutely amazed at how their bodies open in ways they never expected. A small price to pay to refresh a stagnate body.