Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 8, 2014
A fun collection of crossword puzzles that have clever schemes in each that need to be ciphered along with the finding the write words. Plenty of double meaning require a sharp mind with ability to free-associate meanings. Questions marks USUALLY appear when there is a trick interpretation of a clue. I took off a star since some of the answers were slightly ill-suited for the clue. Also, some of the answers are dated which is why they need to include the date of publication since when asking for people's names, past and present tense makes a difference as to whether they are living or dead. Definitely worth the time to solve and book cost.
on December 12, 2009
As I've said about other collections, it's typical Will Shortz: Clever puzzles that WILL cause you to smile when you pick up on some of the themes. Will Shortz' genius lies in his trusting his contributors and not "adding salt to the soup" when it's not needed. Mr. Shortz is almost singlehandedly responsible for the clever, witty, fun crossword, but if you didn't already know that you'd not be reading this review!!
on March 2, 2010
The Wild Crossword book was just about what I was hoping for. The puzzles are challenging for me - my level of comfort is with NY Times Wednesday/Thursday puzzles - and with a sufficient variation in level of challenge to keep things interesting. Hidden themes were sometimes obscure, but I guess that's a part of it.
on December 15, 2016
I think the medium difficulty rating is fair, though some are harder but not impossible... think traditional Wed, Thurs, Saturday difficulty. I think by "wild" they mean some of the more clever themes or themed puzzles.
on May 25, 2013
Very pleasurable. I can solve these puzzles without resorting to reference works, so I would put them at the Wednesday level of the NYT. Thursday puzzles sometimes stump me, and Fridays and Saturdays are usually beyond me, so this book gives me just the right challenge at the end of the week!
on March 7, 2014
This book is just okay. I usually like the New York Times crossword puzzle books, but this one is a bit too difficult. I like challenging puzzles, but I find this book a bit too challenging, and some of the clues are just plain ridiculous. Also, they should have included more like 250 puzzles rather than only 150 for the almost $10 price tag.
on August 19, 2014
LOTS OF PUZZLES, NICELY PRINTED. MORE DIFFICULT THAN I EXPECTED. PUZZLES DO NOT HAVE THEMES LISTED OR ANY INSTRUCTIONS TO AID IN LEARNING THE GIMMICKS THE TIMES USES ON MANY PUZZLES. IF YOU NEED A REAL CHALLENGE THIS IS FOR YOU. THE AVERAGE PUZZLE DOER WILL FIND MOST OF THEM VERY DIFFICULT.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2016
I love puzzles. This book is really keeping me busy. The puzzle creators have out done themselves. Thank you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
HALL OF FAMEon February 4, 2013
Too many questions involving two or more words and about names of people, even a puzzle with a number of deliberately misspelled words and another with some clues almost non-existent. I think I should have gone for a Tuesday book.
on February 28, 2011
Will Shortz's clever editing skills shine in this collection of medium-difficulty puzzles. They are just hard enough to challenge me, but not so obscure that they take an inordinate amount of time to solve. I am enjoying the book enormously and hope that Shortz has produced other books in a similar vein.