Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 410 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 445 reviews
on September 15, 2013
Until today I would have rated this app 5 stars, easily. Elegant, well-laid out, easy to use, a pleasure to read. Now, suddenly, there's a new "improved" version. What's improved? Nothing, really. There are now three type sizes for each page. Sounds like a good idea, right? Well, the three type choices are sub-microscopic, microscopic, and infinitesimal. In short, it's virtually impossible to read. Even someone with 20-20 vision would probably have difficulty.

It's a shame. For the last few months I've looked forward to downloading the new issue each Monday. My print copy is not always delivered on time, and the old app was so nicely done it was almost enough. Now, it's completely unusable.

So, I guess I'll just have to go back to the old-fashioned way of doing things.

(I'm referring to the KindleFire HD version; there is no app available for my phone, and the screen is too small anyway.)

The older issues are still readable, by the way; so it's not completely useless, after all. Apparently the print version has been redesigned, so the new format has something to do with that. Still, that's no excuse for getting the app wrong.

UPDATE: I recently upgraded to a Kindle Fire HDX, and the app isn't available for that version, so the whole matter is moot. Bah!
on September 30, 2013
I was a big fan of the new yorker app for a long time: easy to navigate through the stories, good layout, little difference from the print edition. However in the couple of weeks, the new yorker issued an update to their app, described as a stylistic overhaul. Makes sense, given the need for graphics, etc. However the update is very disappointing. It takes considerably longer to get from story to story, when you click on the links in the table of contents, sometimes you wonder when the story will appear. A new feature allows you to determine the font size of text, unfortunately the largest font is still far smaller than what the previous app version offered, a frustrating complication. This is a great magazine, with terrific reporting and stories, very unfortunate that this latest app update for the magazine is so underwhelming. I hope the new yorker well review these comments and make changes.
on November 17, 2011
Oh, for the love of god, let it remember my username and password! Should it really be necessary? It's not like this thing launches missiles or anything. If you think it's not a big deal to retype my password, well, some of us don't use "abc123" for all our password needs.
11 comment| 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 1, 2013
I've been a print subscriber for many, many years and was happy to read the digital edition but now I am going back to primarily reading the dead-tree version because of the terrible Kindle app. I have been using the app for two years on a first generation Kindle Fire and now the New Yorker people have changed it into a frustrating clunker of a mess.

Just a few things that lessen the quality (and there are more I won't even mention):

-Originally the app let me stay logged in so I didn't have to log in every time I wanted to download an issue. Not so anymore. I must log in whenever I do a download. (However, once an issue is downloaded, I can access it on the Kindle anytime I want.)

-The New Yorker has made changes to the magazine's digital format and the interface is a mess and a chore to use and it's no longer intuitive. It now takes much more user action to get to items in the magazine - it's almost as if they are trying to discourage you from reading things.

-They removed pagination and now pages of text display as one long continuous sequence with no breaks or spaces between paragraphs and this makes articles of more than two or three pages tiresome to read on a Kindle.

-Multi-article departments like "Talk of the Town" are now broken up into discrete sections within the department rather than as a series of articles and you have to backtrack to a submenu and select the next article rather than just swiping over to the next one.

-The famous cartoons are now treated the same way and the interface takes more user action to reach them and navigate through them.

-Font changes are now limited to three sizes: small, smaller, and smallest. Nothing you can do about it.

-Articles now take longer to load even after the issue is downloaded and installed on the Kindle. They used to load almost instantaneously but now you have to wait for the little revolving circle to finish its business. This is a symptom of some bloated coding and/or seriously bad data compression.

Apparently they make app and format changes for no good reason but only because they can. I guess their IT department ran out of things to do and have to justify their existence somehow with some busy-work. They've really let their readers down. Either that, or Tina Brown was rehired to do the redesign.

UPDATE: Trying to download the the December 2, 2013 issue crashed the Kindle. It appears to be the app since I could not even open the app after rebooting. I deleted the app from the Kindle, removed it from the cloud, and reloaded the app with a fresh copy from the product page. Same thing: opening the app crashed the Kindle. I contacted Amazon and they said it was a known problem reported by other users and had been turned over to the developers at the New Yorker. I contacted the New Yorker, but they just keep sending me a generic e-mail thanking me for reporting the problem and they will "look into it." No progress as of this date 12/8/2013.

UPDATE: 12/10/13: They have corrected the app but now in the process have introduced two additional problems. The magazine cover doesn't show - you get a black empty page. The 2nd problem - some of the illustrations/cartoons now are very small. Really, I give up. They had a good app but now it's junk. I am not going to fool with it anymore.

Bye bye New Yorker.

UPDATE: 3/4/14: Got a notice to download the new updated version of the app. I foolishly downloaded it and now the app crashes my Kindle Fire HD each and every time I open the magazine. If I go more than two or three pages into the magazine, the app crashes and I have to reboot.

I also tried downloading one of the New Yorker cartoon books available through the app and it downloaded (it said) but it's nowhere on my Kindle. It can't be found anywhere even when I use a file utility to search for it. It appears that the app automatically deleted it when the current magazine was downloaded!

Finally, four recent New Yorker magazines I kept on the Kindle because I hadn't finished reading some articles are GONE. It seems that you can no longer keep an older issue on your device. No more archives.

Thanks a lot, New Yorker. You really know how to alienate your readers.

Still a crap app.
on February 26, 2012
After reading the numerous negative reviews for this app, I was hesitant to try it, but given how much I enjoy the occasional print copy of The New Yorker that I get, I had to give this a try.

The good news is that the most frequently mentioned problem seems to have been fixed --- Since installing this app and getting The New Yorker subscription started, I have not had to re-enter my user name and password beyond the first time.

As for this periodical being under APPS vs the Newsstand is really a non-issue with me, since I use the Kindle Fire's carousel to access most of my media.

The first issue downloaded smoothly, and did not take an excessive amount of time (a minute maybe).

The content is well laid out and easy to read. Navigation is easy (but see #4, below).

A few minor issues that had me give this app 4 stars instead of 5:

1)The initial subscribing to The New Yorker was VERY confusing and unclear. If you are print subscriber, they have a huge box for you to tap on, but for non-subscribers like me, it took several attempts to find WHERE I subscribe. Loading the APP is only the first part, starting a digital subscription is the next part, and it took me 4 or 5 tries to find where you do that, and in fact, I was almost ready to skip the whole thing and delete the app. NOT the way you want to interact with potential customers!

2)Once you are in an issue, it only display in portrait mode. I prefer to do most of my reading in landscape, but it will load only one way.

3)Once you are in an issue, the menu items are all switched around. To get to the HOME key to get back to your Fire Home page, you tap the UPPER edge of the screen, and find the HOME icon in the upper left corner.

4)The pages scroll up and down, not left and right. Going left and right takes you to the next/previous article. Again, just backwards of all the other Kindle media.

5)And, maybe I'm being greedy, but I was hoping to be able to access back issues with my initial subscription, but no such luck. They are available for $5.99 each.
on September 24, 2013
New reader is slow and doesn't keep your place in each article like the old one did so you could switch among articles....and if you leave the app in the middle of a long article, it returns you to the beginning when you start the app again. This is all changed in just the past couple of weeks--I really want the old version (which I'd have rated four stars) back!!!
on September 25, 2013
I just wanted to echo the sentiment of many of the other reviews I have read and voice my utter displeasure with the new format of the New Yorker on the Kindle Fire HD. Before the new format was released for the September 23rd version I would have rated this app to be 4-5 stars, however the new version deserves less than 1 star. To start, the font is way too small, the new version allows you to select from three sizes but even the largest is very small. Also, the layout on the kindle version now appears to keep the pictures and content separate so on a given page you may have a picture on one side and then a very narrow column of content on the other, leaving a significant amount of wasted space under the picture. On the movie page of the latest issue (September 30, 2013), the width of the article is literally only 6 words across, it makes no sense! Also, now in the "Goings On About Town" section rather than list all of the content that you can then easily scroll through, you have to select each section separately (and which is very small to read as well) which is annoying and unneccesary. I've also found the load times and reaction speed on the newer issues to be much slower which provides a negative experience when reading the app.

I will say that I don't think it is necessarily the app itself that is the problem but rather the format of the issues because as some other reviewers have commented, the older issues that I still have stored on my Kindle look fine, its only the last two issues where I've noticed the issues. One reason / explanation for the change may be the size of the issues, I did notice that the latest issue was only 30 MB, whereas older issues were between 100-130 MBs. Therefore you could technically save more issues onto your Kindle with the new format but this isn't really helpful because you can always archive and redownload older issues anyway (I only have 4-5 loaded onto my kindle at any one time to help save hard drive space).

So overall, this is a disaster for the New Yorker and those readers that enjoy the electronic version of the magazine on an Android tablet. I am going to look to cancel my subscription ASAP until they tell me they've reverted to the old format.
on October 5, 2013
the new format is awful. the font is too small. this makes the magazine unreadable. it feels like the magazine does not care for its subscribers or the content. it only cares about advertisements - they look even better now! its a shame , i used to look forward to download a new issue.
on September 30, 2013
Three issues into their "new and improved format" and Kindle HD 8.9 users are still left in the cold with miniscule font size. And having 3 font sizes to choose from, irrespective of device, is simply annoying when you have to choose your preferred font size with every page turn. Just tweaking the old tablet format to accommodate the new paper format didn't require all the "extras" that now require too many buttons to navigate a magazine section. Keep in simple, sweet - bring back the old style or fix it.
Amazon also needs to fix their login API. It's really annoying that I have to sign-in every time a new issue of any magazine is released.

Update 10/7 - Four issues into "new and improved" and still no fix for Kindle HD 8.9 readers.

Update 10/14 - Five issues into "new and improved" and still no fix for Kindle HD 8.9 readers. I guess it's falling on deaf ears.

Update 10/21 - Six issues into "new and improved" and still no fix for Kindle HD 8.9 readers. A little more stable, but the font size hasn't changed. The ads look good, but the articles are too tiny to read even with the largest font! It self defeating to appeal to your advertisers when you are losing readers that look at them! For goodness sake, FIX IT!!!!
on September 21, 2013
I have been using The New Yorker app for years, but the newest version is terrible. The largest text is too small to read comfortably. Every time I want to download the most recent issue, I have to sign in and enter my password. I am going back to the print version. How inconvenient. Too bad; I used to like this app.