Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

The Young Wan
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon February 14, 2016
THE YOUNG WAN

My sister has been wanting me to read this series and I am so glad that she was insistent. I have found a new author whose work I enjoy immensely -- Brendan O'Carroll.

This book precedes the other O'Carroll books, an introduction of sorts to Agnes Browne, a character I came to love and admire while reading THE YOUNG WAN. Now, I am happy that I will be able to read more about Agnes Browne in THE MAMMY, THE CHISELLERS, THE GRANNY, and SCRAPPER.

Agnes is a character to be reckoned with, a character to love, a character that almost jumps directly out of the book she is written about so well. O'Carroll has us meet Agnes' parents and grandparents, explains how her parents met, their lives together, and then Agnes being born and her life as well. The characters are so fleshed-out, the streets of Ireland are alive, the story line is steady and moves along well.

While some parts of the book were predictable and I knew where I was headed, the charm and honesty of this book erased all negative thoughts of knowing what was going to happen. Life in Ireland in the 1940's was not easy, but Agnes is the type of person who takes the bull by the horns and gets things done that need to be done. Agnes has a wonderful outlook on life and accepts what is handed to her daily. If she doesn't like what is happening, she takes charge. She is a true and loyal person, a hard worker, has a swift wit, is loving and caring.

I cannot wait to read the further adventures of Agnes in the following books. O'Carroll is a gifted writer who makes you care about his characters and makes it fun and exciting reading for all.

Check out these books. O'Carroll is a charming writer who knows how to pull people into a good story.
on August 24, 2016
Brendan O'Carroll is an amazing storyteller. His series of books about a family are easy to read and very entertaining.

The book takes readers to a working class neighborhood in Dublin in the 1940s where through the tales of this family, the reader experiences first friendships, education in a Dublin Catholic school, days of working hard and evenings spent dancing to rock and roll.

This book is one of a series so read in order: Mammy, Chisellers, Granny and this one is the prequel to those three books but written later.
on January 13, 2018
This was actually the last book written in the series, but it’s a prequel to the story. I read it first and was glad I did. I felt it gave more insight to the characters and their relationships as they aged. I really liked the whole series and recommend it.
on December 3, 2013
My first encounter with Agnes Brown & Brendan O'Carroll was driving Rte 128 North to work in Waltham, MA many years ago. I had begun listening to Books on Tape to dull the "pain" of the commute with delays, fender benders, and lots of tense & angry drivers. When I realized that I was in the parking lot at work I was surprised - and happy to be early enough to listen to the end of the chapter.

Each of the Agnes Brown books have the same effect on me: I laugh, I cry, and I lose myself in the lives of Agnes, Marion and all their families & cohorts. This may be my third (or more) time through the books, either on audio or in print, and I get sucked in every time. I'm not Irish, I grew up in a different time with a different lifestyle, and yet I know I would have loved Agnes and Marion as they loved each other, and I reread each installment of Agnes Brown's life as of the story of an old friend. I take a few years off before I return and start over so it's a familiar story with parts I only half remember. Then it's like visiting and reminiscing with someone I don't get to see often.

It's not just the humor, it's also the knowledge of the underlying truth and the awareness that a sense of humor kept them going. Plus, Oh My God, what I wouldn't give to have had the balls to do even some of the things they did!
on September 6, 2017
Love this prequel. All his books are marvelous. They put you right into the environment. A thoroughly enjoyable and gritty slice of life.
on August 2, 2017
My mother received this for her birthday, and she loved it!
on July 8, 2017
An amazing book by one of the most important entertainers of the 21st century. If you do not know Brendan O'Carroll or 'Mrs. Brown's Boys' please look them up.
on May 6, 2011
For anyone who has followed and enjoyed Brendan O'Carroll's delightful stories about Agnes Browne and her family, this volume continues the saga - with its beginning. All the flavor
and color is there. The drama and comedy of everyday people's lives and deaths.
on October 4, 2016
You have to get the whole series, this is hysterically funny. This is one of my favorites, I re read them all all of the time.
on January 10, 2018