Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on August 8, 2016
I loved "Ballet Shoes" and was excited to read about the continuing adventures of the Fossil Sisters, but the focus of the book is really on the unrelated but similar Forbes family. I still find it to be a very enjoyable read; the author's descriptions of the life at a children's performing arts academy during the war are vivid and interesting. I had a paperback copy when I was young but have red it to death and it is literally falling apart so I decided to order the library bound copy. As mentioned by a previous reviewer this version is definitely modernized (which I didn't mind horribly) but also abridged (which I did mind horribly). Entire sections have been eliminated and while this wouldn't be a problem for someone who hasn't read an older edition it really bothered me. I have ordered the paperbacks from Amazon.co.uk (at a considerably higher cost than the corresponding US paperbacks) in the hopes that I can have a nice copy with all the text intact. I would have given 5 stars but due to the abridgment, I am taking off one star.
on September 21, 2015
I have all of the "Shoes" books, many of them from when I was much younger; in fact, I have replaced "Dancing Shoes" and "Skating Shoes" because frankly, children's paperbacks are made these days to fall to pieces after a few years. (I still have many of my children's books from my own childhood when books were not disposable, and I am 67.) This one is one I did not know about, and I found it interesting but kind of a pale copy of the earlier books. Again it's three children -- one is very talented, one is very ordinary and one is unexpectedly brilliant. Some of the characters from the first book Ballet Shoes, are now adults and have peripheral presence, and the homely but "clever" Winifred is now teaching at the school, having proved too homely, apparently, to trump her obvious giftedness. Not a very good message for the Miss Plains in the audience! If you like the "Shoes" books, you'll like this one. But read the other ones first.
on May 12, 2017
Grew up reading her books, love passing them down to my daughter who is nearly 11.
on October 17, 2016
Bought this book along with three others for my granddaughter for Christmas. Hope she loves them!!
on May 2, 2016
This was a "charming" book that I had read as a child and it was a "joy" to be reacquainted with it.
on February 2, 2014
It may be that as a child who dreamed of a career in theatre, this just hits the "sweet" spot for me, but I love the characters, the backstage glimpses, and the overarching threat of war/postwar Britain.
on May 4, 2016
Books are for girls and written fifty years ago. Good read
on March 3, 2016
Very nice book. I am glad that I bought this book for my granddaughter.
on October 27, 2015
Bought for my granddaughter after watching You've Got Mail. Bought her The Shoe Books to enjoy.
on September 24, 2014
I enjoyed the book thoroughly. I look forward to reading it with my grand daughter.