Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 41 reviews
on May 25, 2013
A remarkable book, Therapy recounts the sad-and-funny experiences of a successful fifty-something TV sitcom writer whose wife of many years suddenly abandons him. His life falls apart, he is assailed by an inexplicable mid-life angst and a puzzling knee pain that no amount of acupuncture, aromatherapy, physiotherapy, you-name-it-therapy is able to cure. The book is a classic quest for lost happiness, taking us on an unexpected and unforgettable pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain before resolution is found.

David Lodge is one of my favorite authors and along with Malcolm Bradbury, who was his closest writer friend - they're both major exponents of the campus novel genre - he is surely one of the top satirical writers of the 20th century (no, he's not dead yet - look for more masterpieces from him!)

You know what is the most surprising thing about this book? It was first published in 1995! Yes, that's some fifteen years before we started talking earnestly about Boomer Lit, with the creation of a Goodreads Group to discuss Boomer Lit. Yet Therapy is quintessential Boomer Lit. It hits on all the major points that make for a top Boomer Lit read:
- a mature adult protagonist facing a major life transition as his marriage and job unravel;
- a range of challenges that are typically those boomers are facing today;
- coping mechanisms and complex characters that are the result of a lifetime of experience.
The plot and characters are not simple, only a mature writer could have written this with the necessary depth of experience and nuances in sensibilities.

Add to this David Lodge's writing talent and you have a masterpiece, rich with unforgettable character descriptions, surprising twists and turns in the plot and a whole array of thoughtful observations. From a technical point of view, Lodge shows his virtuosity with masterful changes in points of views, each written with a different "voice" to reflect each character.

Some of the reviews on Amazon mention that this is a book about a "mid-life crisis".

But this is not a mere mid-life crisis, it is much more!

Consider the main character, Tubby Passmore (I love the name!). Once he has solved his problems, can he go back to the way everything was before the crisis began? Because that is what the term "mid-life crisis" implies: that you can return to what you were before. The answer is he cannot. Things change in Tubby's life in such a radical way that he is forced to embark on the "Third Act" in his life. And learn to live differently. This is where David Lodge's Therapy is similar to Rachel Joyce's The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: they both throw their main characters on a harrowing quest to find a new self, in short, a picaresque pilgrimage - across England for Harold Fry, to Spain for Tubby Passmore (after he's gone through Tenerife and Copenhagen, yes, I told you, expect some surprising turns!).

This is the fundamental question at the heart of Boomer Lit: who are we? After a lifetime of work, of living with a partner/lover, what is left of oneself when everything that has defined our lives disappears?
on May 8, 2017
Not sure if it's the parallels with my own life (hopefully not, because that makes me sound self-absorbed), but I was endlessly interested in everything that happened to this character. And when the POV of the alternative chapters was explained, I loved the main character even more. Exceptionally well-written. Not a long book, and so good that I expected to plow through it in 2-3 days. But it took me about 2 weeks, because I enjoyed the experience of reading it so much that I slowed down.
on August 22, 2014
One of Lodge's best - funny, smart, insightful, flows great. I am addicted to Lodge and this is the best. Tubby's mid-life crisis is told from a number of viewpoints and characters in the book, and each voice is unique and interesting. I find most great literature is depressing ("Blindness" anyone?) and over the last few years I don't feel like having books get me down, and its hard to find books that are fun and humorous but still intelligent and insightful. Lodge is the mast of this genre.
on March 13, 2015
Gotta be one of the best books for me. Great great true satire on sex, marriage, religion, relationships, dancing!!. Tubby and Sally are right on for my ex and me. David Lodge must have had a divorce experience like I did. All guys past 40 would love this book. Well, uptight puritans would not like it.
on November 2, 2016
I love this book. I have it on cassette and wish I could get it on CD as the telling of it with the voices is hilarious.
on November 12, 2013
This book had a lot going for it - it was both funny and sad, it had interesting characters and a very good story. There is more depth in this book than in others I have read by the same author. The main theme deals with the question of what constitutes real therapy, a 'product' that can be purchased, or something that the person in need discovers for themselves?
on August 10, 2016
I read this book years ago, I passed it to friends...got lost, so I had to order it and read it again!
on March 29, 2017
It was exactly that I needed. Perfect and magnificen!
on May 8, 2014
The main character is living a drama, and sometimes dramas are boring. He is also depressed which adds some pages of boredom. But most of the time it is fun and inspiring. This book gave me one or two therapy tools to apply on my daily life.
on April 15, 2016