Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on July 8, 2015
We have the entire set. This was the first one we received as a gift and started our collection. My kids are 4yrs & 7yrs old now. We've been reading these books since my older son was 2 or 3. The stories are solely told in word bubbles as conversations between the 2 main characters, plus a few recurring characters who stop by in some of the stories. We each choose a character to 'be' and then we read the story, which is simple sentences of easy words. I honestly believe these books were a huge factor in my older son teaching himself to read at a very early age. We routinely give E&P books as gifts, and I always keep my eye out for new ones and pre-order well in advance. It's a nice little package that comes out of the blue, and both my boys are very excited when the UPS man brings us a new E&P book that they've never seen before.

Our all-time favorites are:
Watch Me Throw the Ball - I love the moral of the story where the most important thing is to have a good time, even if you're not a pro.
Can I Play Too? - love this one because it teaches you to think outside the box and make the most of what you have.
on May 27, 2016
My son came home from Kindergarten with an Elephant and Piggie book (My Friend is Sad) and we all laughed each time we read the book. There is a Bird on Your Head is just as delightful (my kids favorite, although I thought My Friend is Sad was better). We are all hooked! I've never seen my son want to read books on his own as much as with these books. I find him reading them out loud in his room all the time. I plan to purchase all of them!
on July 16, 2015
My four month old son loves these books! He enjoys looking at the pictures and hearing us read these books to him. Even my 5 year old niece loves them. The stories are well written, sometimes a bit silly (but who doesn't love silly?). The price is great and I continue to buy more and more books by this author. My son's all time favorite yet is "We are in a Book", so grab that one if you haven't yet. Also, each book does have a subliminal message with each story. This one is about how if you don't like what someone is doing, for example: A bird on your head builds a nest, then ask them nicely to leave and they will. Definitely worth the money and the smiles!
on December 28, 2017
Great story! We love elephant and piggy. This is one of the first titles we ever purchased. I have bought 3 more for gifts over the last year. Love the humor and the lessons of friendship in this series. Great story for your collection.
on July 26, 2017
Mo Willems is the best, and "Bird on your Head" doesn't disappoint. Use your words kids, you only have to ask! While we love Elephant and Piggy, our favorite characters from Willems are the Pigeon and Duck. Either because they were the first ones we experienced or they are just silly fun! A Mo Willem's book will always catch my eye and the binding and paper feel sturdy and strong. Darling illustrations by the author.
on April 7, 2018
My six year old son loves this book. He's read several Gerald and Piggie books but this is his favorite. They're silly and easy to read for little ones just learning to read somewhat independently. I highly recommend them for beginning readers. There's a few words I had to help with, but after reading it many times, he remembers them.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon January 28, 2009
UPDATE: After reading this to my now 4.5 yr old, she loves it more now that she is older and can appreciate the humor. She giggles and giggles and you can just see her sense of humor developing (she describes to me in detail WHY it's funny)...I think this is exactly what the author has in mind, and he delivers. When first introduced to my daughter, she may have just been too young to fully appreciate the nuances of the facial expressions, and how silence can be funny.

Original review follows:

4 stars because the book is great, and I feel that a big part of Willems' strength is not only encouraging humor in children, but actually teaching them humor, and that it can be subtle.

I only removed a star because sometimes I feel he is gunning for a laugh out of the parents more than the children reading it. Otoh I like the fact that I have to explain the "adult" humor to my 4 yr old as this is part of the teaching process I mentioned.

Great author, great book. I also recommend "My Friend Is Sad" and the one about the costume party, both by Willems.
on March 4, 2013
We are fans of Mo Willems in our house and have several of his books. There is A Bird on Your Head is one of our favorites, and gets laughs from both kids every time we read it. It's also a great book for beginning readers, since it's like a very short play with two parts. The two characters, Gerald (the elephant) and Piggy (the pig) trade lines back and forth on each page. We've been getting my older son to read Piggy's lines, which are pretty simple (i.e. "Yes"; "Now there are TWO birds on your head."). He enjoys reading a book that he once enjoyed being read to him when he was younger.
on March 16, 2018
Maybe one of my favorites of the Piggy and Elephant books. It’s a funny way of illustrating the need for using words when you are upset with something. I buy it as a gift for every 2 to give-year-old, just to start off what I hope will be a large Piggy and Elephant book collection.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 13, 2017
We had one Elephant and Piggie book that we got from library surplus and my toddler loves reading it over and over, so I decided to get more. They are cute, simple stories with higher concepts good for teaching toddlers. I enjoy reading them, too. It won't be long before I end up buying them all.