Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 9, 2016
My 7-year-old grandson enjoyed it very much, and was challenged to read some of the more difficult words--a very good thing. The illustrations are a riot this grandma ("Jammy") also enjoyed.
on November 1, 2017
The illustrations alone will have your little one laughing. The repetitive story is a favorite in our house!
on August 9, 2016
My 4 year old son, who is very smart, has not been interested in too many books. However, we stumbled on another one of these books "There was an old mummy who swallowed a spider"...and my son fell in love! This book is just as good! It is cute how the author incorporates all the different things for the monkey to swallow. Definitely a good night time read :)
on August 30, 2017
My three boys have absolutely loved this book, for many, many years. We all shout "What a hog!" in unison.
on October 14, 2011
This time, a monkey in the jungle is the catalyst of this book. As a preschool teacher, I like this book a lot and so do my children. After I read it, they like to play grouptime, read the book and act it out. It's adorable and I like it since I'm A HUGE fan of sing-along stories. I like to read it when we're talking about Jungle animals, but your child will love it all year long. The illustrations are a little over-the-top for me, but after reading a few times, they've grown on me. A must for any preschool-grade 2 teacher or parent.
2 helpful votes
on April 27, 2012
This book is so much fun to read! we read some parts slow and some parts fast. We kinda make a jingle out of it.
I say: there was an old monkey, who swallowed a ____
My 3y/o says: the animal type
I say: repeat the animal and phrase, then we read the repetative part really really fast. Its so much fun and we get tons of 3yo giggles.

The pictures are great! and the book load perfectly on the kindle. I have noticed other books have the picture on one page and the correlating text on another. This book is amazing.

A must read!!
on November 5, 2012
Though the book has great pictures, the print is tiny, tiny, tiny. Even with the zoom option in my Kindle Fire, it is almost impossible to read. The story line leaves a lot to be desired; it is the title repeated over and over again with a different creature name at the end. Not very creative (except the artwork).

The two stars rating is for the artwork only, the storyline does not deserve any rating at all.
on August 19, 2015
Perfect read for a family that just vacationed in Guatemala. Would be good for a family with small children that visited the Mayan ruins in Mexico too! We all really loved this book, maybe the adults most of all.
on April 21, 2015
I really liked the book, but it's just too long. Young children just can't stay attention for that long. Now if this was turned into a story flannel board
And used to learn what comes next for older children like 4 or 6 yrs old.
on August 11, 2015
My son loved this book so much! He would say it along with me every time I read it to him. He was only around 3 at the time. It really is a cute book and funny! I recommend this to everyone!