- File Size: 672 KB
- Print Length: 218 pages
- Publication Date: November 30, 2013
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004UGMLMK
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,506,897 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$9.99|
Save $7.00 (70%)
There is No Wheel Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 218 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Maxey's protagonists are unapologetically bizarre: junkies, perverts, hedonists, cannibals, has-beens, and heretics. But even as these people with terrible problems and tragic paths dig themselves deeper into misery, you can't help but feel some of the love and empathy Maxey seems to carry for them. When the character you find yourself caring for is dissecting a cherub or trying to kill his former lover, this is quite a trick.
The worlds of these stories are as weird and involving as the characters, full of all-too-human superheroes, heavenly beings that aren't what we expected, sadistic rock bands, and apocalyptic moments. Highly recommended for persons of stout constitution and curious mind.
But I am a big fan of James Maxey, so I got this. And out of the ten stories, I really liked seven. Seventy percent! And that's not merely "okay" like the fifty percent in a normal story collection. That's seven stories that I really liked, three or four of which were standouts. Unheard of.
Not only that, but of the three remaining stories, not one of them was dull. I just didn't like them. (One I positively hated.) But for seven other stories this good, it's well worth it. And for the price of $0.99, you can't go wrong.
My favorites included "Silent as Dust," the strangest ghost story you've ever read. It doesn't even have a real ghost in it. No--wait; yes it does. But it doesn't need one. . . . Another was "Where Their Worm Dieth Not." Something about this title keeps making me think it's one of the ones I didn't like, but then I check on it and it's that really cool superhero story with a dynamite ending. My favorite overall was "Return to Sender," a delightful action-packed story about a half-breed angel fighting demonic cults and her strict upbringing at the same time.
Get this one. You won't regret it.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Anthologies
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Anthologies
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superheroes
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Anthologies & Literature Collections
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superhero