Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Overton Window forum

There will never be a fair and balanced review of this book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2010, 11:09:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 18, 2011, 12:02:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010, 12:46:48 PM PDT
It's a quick read, if that helps. Also entertaining. It isn't the best book I have read, probably give it 3.5 or 4 stars, but for a first book not bad. Reminds me of reading Dan Brown with the theme and pacing, just replace religion and art with politics and history.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010, 1:57:31 PM PDT
F. Hollister says:
TMT:

Way to play the victim! It's all the fault of Liberals! Of course...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010, 2:10:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 18, 2011, 12:02:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010, 4:20:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 17, 2011, 11:59:31 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 2, 2010, 10:17:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 18, 2011, 12:02:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 3, 2010, 7:12:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 17, 2011, 11:59:32 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010, 8:44:50 AM PDT
Chris Light says:
TMT: a classic case of PROJECTION

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010, 1:24:34 PM PDT
J. jones says:
Mysterious Traveler,

You said, " Let us be honest. We will never ever ever see a honest evaluation of

this book. Period. It could be the worst book ever written.......and liberals will tear

it apart."

Why are you waiting for "liberals" to give an honest evaluation of the book? Are they

the only ones that can validate it?

If you think that Libs are the only ones who " live in terror that someone somewhere

is having a free thought", then you need to read some of the stuff Right wingers are

saying about " The Promise" by Jonathan Alter. You should hear the rubbish spouted

by extremist nuts about books written by people with whom they disagree. I can

read The Overton Window, or The Promise, or anything by anybody, and give a fair

review. I wonder how many that read Beck's book, can read a book by a "Lib", and

do the same thing?

Posted on Jul 3, 2010, 7:40:19 PM PDT
readaholic says:
As I browse the internet, when I read generalized negative comments against liberals, I always wonder what the writer would use as a definition of a "liberal". I would love to find out if I fit the category, so I can determine if I'm being insulted or not:-) I look at each issue individually, so I don't tend to fit well into either of the dominant parties. However, as a scientist and earnest environmentalist, I tend to disagree with several right wing positions, e.g. those relative to denying the separation of church and state, as well as anything that appears anti-science. Would the Mysterious Traveler care to define liberal? I suspect that someone who calls himself liberal would have a different definition from someone who claims things such as "Libs live in terror that someone somewhere is having a free thought" etcetera, etcetera. (By that particular criterion, I guess I don't fit into the MT's definition of "liberal":-)

Posted on Jul 3, 2010, 10:06:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2010, 10:12:30 PM PDT
C. Ivie says:
The Overton Window deals with a very real process that is used more or less successfully by politicians the world over. It is also understood by anyone whose lively hood depends on molding public opinion. The American people and probably voters in democracies the world over are more likely to vote for "promisers" than "doers". It is easier because promises are easy to understand while the details of something that needs to be done is full of complexities and contradictions. For most people it simply isn't worth the effort to go to the trouble to understand what is going on. Politicians are aware of this and realize that telling a good story is much more important than achieving tangible results. The biggest threat to liberty is apathy and there are those seeking power know how to take advantage of this fact. Becks book explores this phenomena and describes how issues can be framed to assure an emotional rather than a rational response from voters. The fact that this ability reveals that the skills required to get elected are antithetical to those necessary to do the job is lost on most of the electorate. Recognition of this fundamental reality just requires far to much thought and, in many cases, an abandonment of personal convictions and prejudices. The more you trust in politicians the more rapidly you cast away your personal liberty. The end result is closet slavery. This is the most insidious form of servitude for the slave is willingly and sometimes enthusiastically blind to the chains that bind him.
"The Overton Window" is not the best thriller I have ever read but it is far from the worst. It's biggest recommendation I can make for the book is that it might make the reader look at the news and politicians a bit differently and questioning those in authority is never a bad thing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Overton Window forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 3, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
The Overton Window
The Overton Window by Glenn Beck (Hardcover - June 15, 2010)
4.4 out of 5 stars (968)