Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on November 11, 2007
This is NOT an etymological reference work (for which I recommend Ayto), but rather a mentally stimulating 300 pages for browsing.

Don't expect to find a particular word and don't try to read it all at once. Instead, keep it by the bedside or in the car and read a page or two when you have a spare minute.

It's a bit dated, and some entries are obscure or unfamiliar, but Harry Potter fans will delight to find such words as basilisk and mandrake.

There are many such non-academic books on the stories of word origins, but this one among many has somehow captured my preference. The balance of etymology and history provides many delightful little ah-hah! moments of new insights and connections.

This is best illustrated by example:

I just now randomly opened the book to page 58, where we learn that the bird 'canary' is indeed from the Canary Islands, which are so named in Pliny the Elder's account of the journey, in 40 B.C., of Juba, the Mauritanian chief, through the Pillars of Hercules (Gibraltar Strait) to an island overrun with dogs which he named Canaria, Latin for 'Island of Dogs' (canine).

In the next 3 pages one learns (in much greater detail):

The Latin 'cancelli', for lattice, gave us the word 'cancel' from the appearance of hash marks in the days before erasers (whose usage gave us the noun 'rubber').

Roman candidates for public office wore white as a sign of purity (like brides today), so 'candidatus' (clothed in white) gave us candidate, candor, and candid.

When Christopher Columbus landed in Cuba, the people explained they were Canibales, a dialectal pronunciation of Caribes, from which we get cannibal and Caribbean.

'Canopy' comes from the Greek konops, mosquito, for the purpose of the net it held.

One 'canters' on a horse when riding leisurely toward CANTERbury Cathedral for a picnic at the grave of Thomas a Becket, who was murdered in 1170 by his pal, King Henry II.

'Canvas' comes from the Latin for hemp, cannabis.

'Caper' and 'caprice' describe the antics of goats, the Latin for which is 'capra' (Capricorn). Elsewhere he explains how the leap of a goat, cabriolet in Latin, gave us 'cab', with taxi (like tax) indicating the necessity of paying a toll.

That's a summary of just three pages. A different sort of example from page 203 describes the amphibian once called an efeta and still today called an 'eft' in some regions. By tonal similarity, this became eveta. Since v and u were written the same, it became eueta. Just as 'due' sounds like 'dew', it became ewta, then ewte. Finally, the 'n' migrated, so that 'an ewte' became 'a newt'.

If you've read this far and enjoyed it, you'll like this book. Otherwise, forget it.

It's uncanny how often these factoids subsequently turn up in conversation or on Jeopardy the very same week you read it.
on November 24, 2009
This is another of the books I use as reference for my Trivia games on a virtual world with a very international flavor. I don't think I have the whole series yet, but I'll certainly be getting more! This author is really into what he does, and obviously loves his work. It's amusing to simply read, very informative, and gives English "transliterations" of foriegn words that none of my Trivia players have argued with.

Some of the words have developed entirely different meanings since the book was written, so be sure to check a good dictionary if you AREN'T just reading it for fun.

It *is* very amusing to simply read it... At least if one enjoys this kind of thing.
on January 25, 2017
Great info
on April 21, 2013
I gave this book to my dad many moons ago and obtained his others because I enjoy word origins. All of his books are similar. I have not read all of them entirely. I use them all as reference and sometimes just read pages here and there for the fun.
on September 2, 2015
Fun reading
on January 14, 2013
I love the history of words and their origins. This book was well written and it is most enjoyable to read.I would reccomend Thereby Hangs a Tale to any word buff.
on October 30, 2012
Was told to buy this book for my grandson who is always wanting to know what certain words I use mean. Good book and very interesting for the young and old.
on August 3, 2010
If you like trivia stories of where words come from, this is a great book.
on July 8, 2001
I reviewed this book a few years ago but now that I have lived with it I think it is interesting and fun to read. The origin of many idioms and phrases is entertaining.